WEEK 4 GDT - Steelers vs. Ravens SNF

skywlker32

9 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

my take on that performance in all honesty is that it’d be remiss to say that was a bad second half

because it wasn’t bad

i say this because

bad implies doing stuff wrong

and in that second half they didn’t really do much overtly wrong

it’s just, they were just kinda, there

offense did enough moving off the ball but every time found a way to sorta stall out apathetically

the d was able to stop them when they got in to the red zone but didn’t really have the one big play to turn the game

like it wasn’t fun to watch nor are there positives to glean

but look at ben’s int

that’s not a “bad” int as such, it’s not that it was a poor decision... it’s just on the play the whole team, from ben to the receivers, was kind of like just... “oh well”

it was a very oh well kind of performance 

Having been at the game, I completely disagree with your entire opinion here.

In the second half they were taking low % pass attempts on 3rd down, Ben continued to throw into double and triple coverage, defensively they looked completely lost.  They made no adjustment for Brown and Collins' speed.  Thomas sat on the sidelines basically the entire game despite the notion he would potentially get playing time on defense.

They made no adjustments to generate a pass rush.  

9 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

agree for the most part yeah

just seemed as if there were too many guys out there content just to sort of, play, and not actually like, play, if you get me

that shot of the D on the sideline down 14-0 told it all. They were just sitting around like it was a campfire xD I don't se any coaches over there going over techniques, no chalkboards  no leaders yelling, nothing.  They were just sitting around, but thats this team right now. They need to get new players and get an attitude but it's not happening this season

9 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Im just tired of watching this team play with so little urgency unless its absolutely needed.

I wont be shocked if this team looks much better next week.     Might not be enough to win since our defense is so horrid, but overall, this team just lacks emotional leadership.    Tomlin only seems to be able to light a fire under this teams *** when we absolutely need it....not every week like a head coach SHOULD do.   On top of that, we dont have emotional leaders on the team either.     The only player who seems to have any real consistent fire is AB, and he isnt really a vocal leader.

This team is just lacking so much of what takes to be a championship caliber team.   Some stems from coaching, some stems from poor team building and some stems from the players themselves.     Ben, at times, seems like he is just here to collect a paycheck.   Id be worried about giving him another extension.   Im not convinced he truly wants to play anymore for any other reason than money....and Im not even necessarily knocking him for that, but extending him for 2-3 more years could end up being a mistake.

1. agree unless the team already has players that do this on their own which is preferred. I am no longer blaming tomlin, it's colbert drafting these players or the players themselves just not having the drive. These same players are like as you say, lack emotional leadership and it shows

2. AB is a pro and trains like one. The comment about being traded was lame as was the one about he can't throw to himself. Translation - it's not my fault and it probably isn't therefore it's bens fault. Not the way I would go about it, but he gets his point out there.

3. In the playoff loss vs the jags, there was a time when IIRC it was 21-0 and they showed ben on the sidelines. I could go back to verify the details but here is what I remembered.  I think he was next to boswell of all people (a kicker) and just standing there laughing about something. That say it all, because he obviously wasn't talking about the game and he was laughing (nothing to laugh about) and he wasn't with his offensive teammates getting ready to make changes, go over strategy and get some pep talk going. He could care less. If he never had to repay  signing bonus money, he would have retired by now. 

9 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Im gonna make a bold prediction here and say the Steelers get a grand total of 1 more win this season.

They got lucky last year with a very weak schedule and other teams injured etc and winning close games. They could have been 9-7 and with this schedule it might be more like 5-10-1. It doesn't look good, but if Ben plays good here and there, I could see possibly another 4 games. The D is the weakness, so it will be, "can the offence score 40+ vs this D" If yes, then we win.

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

But I will tell you 2 things that are not the problem that I'm seeing a lot of non-Steelers fans are saying is the problem: No Bell and the drama.  Some of the drama is media fabrications.  Like the Brown 'yelling' at Fitchner, when coaches and players said that there was nothing there.  Bell here doesn't fix our complete crap defense.  Bell likely creates more problems than he solves.

The way the OL has been, Bell wouldn't get yards on the ground. Foster is slow and pouncey isn't good.  The drama ruined what was left, but kjust look back to the jags game win the playoffs that bell decided to show up to last minute. That game is all you had to see, from what bell is (showing up late) to how the D was( bad) to how ben doesn't care. It was ll in that loss and that is what the team should have used as a blueprint but they ignored it insteadxD

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

If y'all haven't already figured this out, we are far and away, the worst team in the AFCN this season.

Will we draft in the top 5, thats the next question because I don't see the schedule near as as as last season. Rashaan Gary might be there  , but colbert and co.  would screw that up too. Already looking forward to a high draft pick , never a good sign is it 9_9

Fire colbert and some of the D scouts . Cowher for GM could be a start but why not Woodson as he could properly evaluate DB's too O.o , and  get JPN or Armsteeld in the D scouting as long as they can stay on here. The D scouts have failed almost as bad as butler, I said almost. 

Really though, this team needs a complete overhaul unless they are content  with inconsistency and players that are mailing it in and collecting a cheque on some games. It's just a total breakdown at many levels.

Thomas won't see the field because:

1. Bostic is outplaying VW

2. VW is colberts LB that got the new deal and will play every down he can until he is injured. 

3. They chose to play forte instead once VW got hurt. I root for Forte like anyone, but Thomas is the one that has the scary upside and range. If a new coach or DC joins the team, VW gets traded and Thomas starts.

12 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Im gonna make a bold prediction here and say the Steelers get a grand total of 1 more win this season.

That won't happen, but I wouldn't be shocked if we finished with six or seven wins.

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Will we draft in the top 5, thats the next question because I don't see the schedule near as as as last season. Rashaan Gary might be there  , but colbert and co.  would screw that up too. Already looking forward to a high draft pick , never a good sign is it 9_9

Fire colbert and some of the D scouts . Cowher for GM could be a start but why not Woodson as he could properly evaluate DB's too O.o , and  get JPN or Armsteeld in the D scouting as long as they can stay on here. The D scouts have failed almost as bad as butler, I said almost. 

Really though, this team needs a complete overhaul unless they are content  with inconsistency and players that are mailing it in and collecting a cheque on some games. It's just a total breakdown at many levels.

Thomas won't see the field because:

1. Bostic is outplaying VW

2. VW is colberts LB that got the new deal and will play every down he can until he is injured. 

3. They chose to play forte instead once VW got hurt. I root for Forte like anyone, but Thomas is the one that has the scary upside and range. If a new coach or DC joins the team, VW gets traded and Thomas starts.

I wouldn't want Bill Cowher as a GM even if he was willing to do it. The game passed him by in my opinion.

Hire a young fresh mind if anything. Not saying that would necessarily work out better, but I'll take that over Bill Cowher. Bring in new Scouts as well. Replace all the defensive coaches as well... Especially Butler and Porter.

6 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

That won't happen, but I wouldn't be shocked if we finished with six or seven wins.

Just for the record, Cleveland is the 1 other win i was referring to. I think 6 or 7 wins is being extremely optimistic. Especially considering i expect Julio Jones to burn Burns at least 3 times on Sunday.

56 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I wouldn't want Bill Cowher as a GM even if he was willing to do it. The game passed him by in my opinion.

Hire a young fresh mind if anything. Not saying that would necessarily work out better, but I'll take that over Bill Cowher. Bring in new Scouts as well. Replace all the defensive coaches as well... Especially Butler and Porter.

I think Cowher as 'president of football operations' would work though.  Doing the same thing Coughlin is in Jacksonville.  Basically the ownership/team fulcrum point who oversees it all.

Archived