I don't get the Colts decision to go for it on 4th down

RamRod

I like the decision but the play call and execution was bad. Another thing it isn't like the Colts are playoff contender this anyways with the Jags and Titans being the superior teams. If they were 3-0 or 2-1 They might have punted but a tie wouldn't have done much for them at 1-2.

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Any way you look at it a tie is better than a loss.

I would have agreed with Reich's decision had they been on the other side of the 50 in Texans territory but they were not and he basically took a low percentage shot at converting a 4th down with the game on the line.  Awful decision in my opinion and I'd be extremely ticked off if I was a Colts fan.

This is what I was thinking when they lined up to go for it. I get the optimism behind going for it, especially after they picked up so much on the 3rd and long play. Even if it was like 4th and 1 or 4th and 2 at that location, I could understand it more. Gives the offense more options.

All that said, the WR was there and the throw was off-target. They should have converted.

2 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

Does this make it the second Reich to do so or the fourth?

Actually, it's the third; and the impact of this decision is apparently reaching historical proportions, according to the latest edition of the book, which is being readied for publication even as we are posting here.

Image result for The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich

In it, they claim that the turning point in what Hitler had confidently termed "the Thousand-Year Reich" came, not during Operation Babarossa, the fatal attempt to invade the Soviet Union during the terrible Russian winter- but from last night's even-more-catastrophic decison.

Image result for Adolf HitlerImage result for Jim Irsay

It seems that Frank Reich, knowing that defeat was looming, and yet with the spires of the Kremlin- sorry, I mean the goalposts- in sight, sent a frantic message to Der Fuhrer (J. Irsay) pleading to be allowed to kick away the ball; the grim answer he received, "Raus mit der puntzen", meaning go for it. We all know what happened next. The "Maginot Line" - the Houston O-line- rolled down the field - the fearsome blitzkrieg!- und der supposedly-invincible "Army of Indianpolis" came crashing down to defeat.

Image result for Frank Reich

History has been re-written!!

2 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I think if you're a playoff team, go for the tie.

But Reich knows this is a rebuilding year for them - the message he sent to those young players that they're going for the win is going to be more valuable long term than that tie would have been.

Extacly first year coach, new coaching staff, new Defensive scheme, and a QB coming back from a year of not playing football it was a long shot to begin with.

I actually love Reich's decision there and would fully support it if I were a Colts fan.  The idea is to WIN the game, not settle for a tie.  Its not like it was 4th and 12 or anything like that.  I think they felt confident they could come away with 4 yards the way Luck was playing and that punting would essentially be giving up on a still-decent shot at a win and settling for a guaranteed tie instead.  We all know (including Reich I'm sure) that this Colts team is not a serious championship competitor at the moment so they don't have much to gain with a tie over a loss.  Maybe it ends up costing them a 6th seed WC berth (or not) but it would likely just be one-and-done anyway.  Just my opinion.

13 hours ago, RamRod said:

But even if they completed that pass there’s a good chance they still don’t win.

As somebody else said earlier, I don't disagree with the decision to go for the win in that situation.  The problem I have is with the play-call.  They should've gone for some high-percentage crossing pattern or rub concept that pushed the ball a little further down the field on that play to set up another easy play to get in FG range.  Its weird, going for it there was a hella aggressive decision but then the play call itself was horribly conservative.  I say, if you're going to go all nuts in you might as well do it rather than pulling up short at the last second.  You can't be ultra-aggressive AND super-conservative all in the same play.

Archived