I don't get the Colts decision to go for it on 4th down

RamRod

7 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Convert it and come away with a W, he's a genius. Fail to convert and take an L, he's an idiot. Unfortunately for him, he turned out to be the latter.

Not everyone can be Mike Vraballs and go 3/3 on 4th down in OT xD

But even if they completed that pass there’s a good chance they still don’t win.

3 minutes ago, RamRod said:

But even if they completed that pass there’s a good chance they still don’t win.

With how Luck was carving them up yesterday, I think they would have done enough to get in field goal range for Vinatieri to win it.

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

With how Luck was carving them up yesterday, I think they would have done enough to get in field goal range for Vinatieri to win it.

They had two time outs as well, so the entire playbook was open to use - the middle of the field was basically empty, so Luck could have flipped it to Hines and got chunk yards on each attempt, while stopping the clock at will. 

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

They had two time outs as well, so the entire playbook was open to use - the middle of the field was basically empty, so Luck could have flipped it to Hines and got chunk yards on each attempt, while stopping the clock at will. 

I thought they only had one timeout 

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

Convert it and come away with a W, he's a genius. Fail to convert and take an L, he's an idiot. Unfortunately for him, he turned out to be the latter.

Not everyone can be Mike Vraballs and go 3/3 on 4th down in OT xD

Vrabel was down by 3 and was looking at the prospects of taking a long and risky field goal where if he missed he would lose and if he made it then game ends in a tie. So high risk  low reward. 

Even if Reich converted it on that play he’d have 20 seconds to get in field goal range from about the 50. So very low chance of winning and still a higher probability of tieing. If he didn’t convert  he pretty much gauranteed a loss. 

8 minutes ago, DLF54927 said:

Gave up the half W for the full L.

That half W might've come in handy down the road.

Real talk - Colts or Texans aren't competing in this division. It's a fight between Jacksonville and Tennessee for the division for the time being. 

Colts need more playmakers on offense, so if they can land another WR opposite TY Hilton and a RB like maybe Bryce Love, they'll be back in the discussion - but they're not there right now. 

Houston needs a new coach, new OL (specifically a LT and RT) and a #1 CB, but none will be available until the end of the season. 

10 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I counted two - I know they burned one on the Fairbun kick to end the game, think they had one left after that.

They had two going into that 4th down. Used one trying after trying to draw the D offsides, used the other on the kick. 

1 minute ago, James said:

They had two going into that 4th down. Used one trying after trying to draw the D offsides, used the other on the kick. 

You're right, yes - I was busy waiting to throw my remote for when Clowney jumped. 

27 minutes ago, ET80 said:

One timeout. They spent a timeout on the previous third down play. At 15:05 in the video it's third down, Indy has two timeouts, and 81 goes down in bounds with 29 seconds left. At 15:12 it's 4th down, 27 seconds on the clock, clock stopped, and they have 1 timeout. So they spent a timeout on the third down play because they didn't get out of bounds. So only one left.

4 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

One timeout. They spent a timeout on the previous third down play. At 15:05 in the video it's third down, Indy has two timeouts, and 81 goes down in bounds with 29 seconds left. At 15:12 it's 4th down, 27 seconds on the clock, clock stopped, and they have 1 timeout. So they spent a timeout on the third down play because they didn't get out of bounds. So only one left.

Houston used their last timeout after the third down play, then Indy used theirs the way I laid out a few posts ago.

Archived