I don't get the Colts decision to go for it on 4th down

RamRod

First off, if you haven't seen it skip to 15:12 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS4y8YcULu4

The Colts had a 4th and 4 on their own 43 and went for it and didn't get it which put the Texans in perfect position to win the game. A punt would've basically guaranteed a tie. I get no one wants to tie but it's a part of the game and a tie is a better outcome than a loss. The field position wasn't in their favor and should've punted.

This is what Frank Reich said in the post game press conference

I'm actually surprised so many are defending it and I also don't get why so many people have a problem with ties. Assuming you're watching the game and aren't a fan of either team why does it matter if there's no winner. 

7 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Call me crazy but I didn't mind it.  Luck was shredding our defense as is.  I personally would have called a better play but I can see why Reich did it.  I wouldn't want to play for a tie either.

Yeah, this - Luck threw for nearly 500 yards and 4TDs on the Texans D, so going for it in that spot was pretty much a sure thing. It DIDN'T work, but that was more on a poorly thrown pass vs some great defensive stand. 

The Colts were also putting the screws on the Texans offense in the 2nd half, so keeping the tie after turning it over was an option. It wasn't as easy as the Texans running the ball into play, it took a great pitch and catch between Hopkins and Watson to even get into position to win the game.

I personally wouldn't have went for it if I was a coach in that position but I don't flaw the decision.

Any way you look at it a tie is better than a loss.

I would have agreed with Reich's decision had they been on the other side of the 50 in Texans territory but they were not and he basically took a low percentage shot at converting a 4th down with the game on the line.  Awful decision in my opinion and I'd be extremely ticked off if I was a Colts fan.

I posted this on another board but.

1. A win is essentially +1 on your record. A loss is -1. A tie is 0. If you lose every game you have a .000 record. If you tie every game you have a .500 record. A tie is effectively superior to a lose. 

2. This was a divisional game. The Texans came in 0-3. The Colts came in 1-2. A tie game puts the Colts at 1-2-1 and the Texans at 0-3-1. So the Colts still come out with the superior record. Because they lost, the Colts and Texans are both 1-3. Because they lost the head to head as a result, the Colts lose the current tiebreaker and are actually below the Texans in the standings, not to mention divisional record is a key tiebreaker in seeding. 

3. Even if the Colts converted that they still only had like 20 seconds to get in field goal range 

I mean they scored 34 points so it wasn't like they were having great difficulty moving up and down the field on them. If this was like a 10-10 games in overtime I get it, but the way that game was specifically going you should play to win.

33 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Call me crazy but I didn't mind it.  Luck was shredding our defense as is.  I personally would have called a better play but I can see why Reich did it.  I wouldn't want to play for a tie either.

This is a big part of it. When your offense is playing much better than your defense, this is key. 

This was an awful decision by Reich.  He needed to make a smart play there, which was to punt the ball and he didn't do that.  By turning the ball over on downs, he is gifting the game to the Texans.  Unacceptable coaching decision.  I did not care who won that game, so being impartial, it was obvious to me that it was the WRONG call.  

Archived