Other coaching news

Lil' Shorty

1 hour ago, indifference said:

Hire a Defensive minded HC and let Monken run the offense. 

I just want a true head coach that is a leader and handles things well internally. I don't even want him to necessarily be offensive or defensive minded. Hire 2 good coordinators to take care of all that. 

If Riverboat Ron and John Harbaugh become available who would you prefer?  If Rivera can bring Norv Turner with him I like him as a better option.  Interesting Licht and Rivera were in the Eagles organization for a year, and McDermott interviewed for the HC before Koetter was hired.  

7 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

If Riverboat Ron and John Harbaugh become available who would you prefer?  If Rivera can bring Norv Turner with him I like him as a better option.  Interesting Licht and Rivera were in the Eagles organization for a year, and McDermott interviewed for the HC before Koetter was hired.  

I would go with Harbaugh just because I think Rivera just too often than not makes some really questionable decisions in game.

2 hours ago, indifference said:

Hire a Defensive minded HC and let Monken run the offense. 

That’s all good and we’ll but 2 things. Schwartz is the clear top DC candidate to be a HC and he’s been recorded as a prick internally before, something I agree with @Caaddy24 I don’t want in the next HC. Second, we have no running game and I don’t think that would change with Monken still the OC. Maybe it would if we have a better OL but who knows.

26 minutes ago, sryan66611 said:

I would go with Harbaugh just because I think Rivera just too often than not makes some really questionable decisions in game.

Yeah probably Harbaugh too but his struggles with finding an OC his whole coaching career really concern me. McCarthy makes bad decisions and Rivera also makes questionable decisions and his preferred style of football I don’t think works as well in today’s NFL. Idk I’d prefer no retreads. Schwartz gets pretty stubborn too. Prime example was him playing Jalen Mills as much as he did this year despite continuous coverage lapses.

25 minutes ago, sryan66611 said:

They re both close, but I like Turner as an OC.  He won t be getting another HC job, and I am very confident he will tailor his offense to his personnel.

Harbaugh s OC choices have been questionable.  His best choice was probably Jim Caldwell.  

I like both HCs have been known for playing physical football.  Imagine what this offense could be with a competent running game 

3 hours ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Yeah probably Harbaugh too but his struggles with finding an OC his whole coaching career really concern me. McCarthy makes bad decisions and Rivera also makes questionable decisions and his preferred style of football I don’t think works as well in today’s NFL. Idk I’d prefer no retreads. Schwartz gets pretty stubborn too. Prime example was him playing Jalen Mills as much as he did this year despite continuous coverage lapses.

Yea I would not want to have a retread...  Rivera is meh and I agree he still is stuck in the old school NFL.    Also with Schwartz we would still be getting a very similar Defense in what we have now albeit better...   His D pretty much depends on the D line getting pressure and he likes his CBs in off coverage far away from the LOS to avoid the big plays.   Your right about Harbaugh.  I would probably take McCarthy over them all but who knows what he can do w/o a HoF QB.

3 hours ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Imagine Harbaugh WITH a good OC :).

In my opinion, the running game isn't Monken's fault. I think he sees the struggles Barber has, whether it's him or the o-line, or whatever. And with the best WR core in the NFL, I think he's just playing to the strength of the personnel and focusing on passing. I mean we see Barber run.. he just kind of takes what he gets and that's about it. I just don't know if I'd put that on the OC. 

1 hour ago, Caaddy24 said:

Imagine Harbaugh WITH a good OC :).

In my opinion, the running game isn't Monken's fault. I think he sees the struggles Barber has, whether it's him or the o-line, or whatever. And with the best WR core in the NFL, I think he's just playing to the strength of the personnel and focusing on passing. I mean we see Barber run.. he just kind of takes what he gets and that's about it. I just don't know if I'd put that on the OC. 

Well if we go retread, Harbaugh/Monken it is. #DreamTeam

If we don’t go retread I’d say, in order, Dan Campbell, Eric Bieniemy, Kris Richard.

What I like about all the first time guys I listed; they were all players.

I still believe Monken deserves to be interviewed for the HC job.  All the next great offensive assistants have never called or game or have shown to be meh at it.  Now, Koetter has stated how hands off he is for the defense, imagine he is pretty hands on during the week for the offense.  The oline situation ultimately falls out the feet of the HC.  The HC certainly has final say over the game day play sheet.  Furthermore, Koetter has the play sheet in hand, which he didn t have to start the season.  I would assume Koetter is suggesting/ordering certain plays at certain times of a game.  Much like Duffner, how different would the playbook look with Koetter out of the question.  Finally, if we believe a rookie player will show improvement with experience, can we assume Monken could also get better with experience because it is pretty good right now.  

Now, why not keep the band together.  I don t view Koetter as a good leader.  Besides the issues I mentioned above, he is responsible for the short coming of his staff in other areas.  His use of personnel is mind boggling throughout his tenure.  Will Monken the next great HC who was in Tampa as an assistant?

2 hours ago, REDandPEWTER said:

So listening to the podcast of the commish, I think Kris Richard is a prime candidate. He’s taken over play calling responsibilities and I think he’d have no problem fielding a staff with top connections in this league. 

Yeah he has definitely been back on the radar lately. I wonder if he’d keep Monken for offensive consistency? I wonder if Monken would stay?

Monken, Buckner and Duffner are all still under contract after this year correct? The Glazers could keep their contracts active until a new HC gets here and then can decide what to do. Similar to Nagy and Fangio in Chicago.

The offense under Monken s play calling has scored below 26 points only twice.  And this includes last week s travesty of Barber s fumble.  That s a lot of faith by the Glazers to let Monken walk at the door that anyone could do just as well.  Wow, what a tough decision looming.

Archived