Other coaching news

Lil' Shorty

6 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

The cases for and against keeping Licht.

I thought it was well written for both sides of the argument.  A HC normally gets to name his staff, so I don t place much blame on Licht for the Mike Smith debacle.  

I do think Koetter is on more thin ice then Licht.  The very public courting of Gruden last season suggests the Glazers weren t exactly enamored with Koetter last season.  I m not sure what has happened this season has changed their opinion that much.

2 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I thought it was well written for both sides of the argument.  A HC normally gets to name his staff, so I don t place much blame on Licht for the Mike Smith debacle.  

I do think Koetter is on more thin ice then Licht.  The very public courting of Gruden last season suggests the Glazers weren t exactly enamored with Koetter last season.  I m not sure what has happened this season has changed their opinion that much.

I think a change (for now) in Jameis and actually winning has changed minds. Winning is the name of the game and it makes everything better.

There are still four games left too.

16 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I think a change (for now) in Jameis and actually winning has changed minds. Winning is the name of the game and it makes everything better.

There are still four games left too.

Through the Glazers actions, this year in particular they have not written off Jameis.  First, with Licht coming out publically after Cincy saying the team hasn t given up on him.  How many times has Griffin dressed since the Steelers game?  

It would make sense the Glazers would look at Licht in totality of building a team and view the short comings of the team as coaching and not personnel.  I certainly don t know for sure, just my speculation.  

24 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Through the Glazers actions, this year in particular they have not written off Jameis.  First, with Licht coming out publically after Cincy saying the team hasn t given up on him.  How many times has Griffin dressed since the Steelers game?  

It would make sense the Glazers would look at Licht in totality of building a team and view the short comings of the team as coaching and not personnel.  I certainly don t know for sure, just my speculation.  

I broke down Licht's drafts a while ago and they aren't that bad. I didn't compare them to others like Reynolds did though.

Koetter's and (probably) Licht's jobs depend on Jameis. And pretty much every coach's job depends on their QB. If Jameis continues with this no (or even low) turnover streak, we're going to win games. And that means Jameis is playing good football. Good football from your QB and winning games generally results in folks keeping jobs.

This last quarter of the season is gonna decide the fate of a lot of people on this team.

37 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I broke down Licht's drafts a while ago and they aren't that bad. I didn't compare them to others like Reynolds did though.

Koetter's and (probably) Licht's jobs depend on Jameis. And pretty much every coach's job depends on their QB. If Jameis continues with this no (or even low) turnover streak, we're going to win games. And that means Jameis is playing good football. Good football from your QB and winning games generally results in folks keeping jobs.

This last quarter of the season is gonna decide the fate of a lot of people on this team.

I 've been thinking about this, when was the last time this offense was able to control the clock in the 4th quarter with a lead?   I can t remember a time.  The weakness of the Koetter offense is not protecting a lead.  100 % of the time the toss works 0% off the time.  Pretty close, last toss that worked was Sims against the Jets.  One could make an argument it is personnel over scheme.  I don t believe it is personnel.  

I don t give Koetter credit for being aggressive.  It s easy to be aggressive when the team is playing behind with a Mike Smith defense.  He reallynhasn t been aggressive with a lead, quite the opposite.  He was forced to pass the ball on 3rd and long against the Saints and Eagles. Browns and Panthers pretty conservative.  If you have a running game, no problem with being conservative, but they haven t run the ball since Mankins retired.

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

I 've been thinking about this, when was the last time this offense was able to control the clock in the 4th quarter with a lead?   I can t remember a time.  The weakness of the Koetter offense is not protecting a lead.  100 % of the time the toss works 0% off the time.  Pretty close, last toss that worked was Sims against the Jets.  One could make an argument it is personnel over scheme.  I don t believe it is personnel.  

I don t give Koetter credit for being aggressive.  It s easy to be aggressive when the team is playing behind with a Mike Smith defense.  He reallynhasn t been aggressive with a lead, quite the opposite.  He was forced to pass the ball on 3rd and long against the Saints and Eagles. Browns and Panthers pretty conservative.  If you have a running game, no problem with being conservative, but they haven t run the ball since Mankins retired.

Something similar like this happened w/  the Rams in the Chiefs game...  I know a lot of people were astonished because McVay decided to pass instead of run and take time off the clock.  He wanted to get the first and win instead of leaving it up to his defense.  He has a running game and still opted to do this. 

Honestly its such a hard decision to make and you can always look back and say well we should have done this etc.. etc..   But I do agree that Koetter plays it conservative at the wrong times but if he would have been aggressive and **** the bed in the Panthers game everyone would have went ape**** and demanded him to be fired and they run the ball in those situations even though we do not have a running game that could run out the clock in those tough situations.

36 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

If we indeed fire Dirk I want a first time HC hands down. Campbell or Richard are probably my top 2 with Bieniemy right after. If one of the first two get the gig I could see the Glazers trying to keep Monken around. I mean they don’t have to release him of his contract..

I would honestly not even think the college guys come to the nfl. Campbell(Matt) Reilly Peterson Shaw. Those guys are in programs where they’re getting extensions. 

Jim Harbaugh seems like a guy who’s built for the pros but I think he’d only consider Green Bay. Even then if anyone has seen his offense lately it’s disgustingly bad scheme wise. 

4 hours ago, REDandPEWTER said:

I would honestly not even think the college guys come to the nfl. Campbell(Matt) Reilly Peterson Shaw. Those guys are in programs where they’re getting extensions. 

Jim Harbaugh seems like a guy who’s built for the pros but I think he’d only consider Green Bay. Even then if anyone has seen his offense lately it’s disgustingly bad scheme wise. 

They've all got job security, like you said. They've also all got total control over everything. And I doubt their salaries are much different than NFL coaches. Hell, I bet some of those guys make even more.

4 hours ago, Lil' Shorty said:

If we indeed fire Dirk I want a first time HC hands down. Campbell or Richard are probably my top 2 with Bieniemy right after. If one of the first two get the gig I could see the Glazers trying to keep Monken around. I mean they don’t have to release him of his contract..

Why do you want a first time head coach? 

9 minutes ago, Caaddy24 said:

Why do you want a first time head coach? 

Sometimes these first time head coaches are more innovative and adaptive to what’s working today. 

Some of these retreads don’t adapt and believe old school mentality will still prevail and today’s new Fad won’t last. 

Reid and Belichick are prime examples of excellent retreads who continue to adapt. Mike McCarthy runs the same offense since Brett farve  was his qb 

Lovie Smith, John Fox, Jim Caldwell, Jeff Fisher, Jon Gruden, ken wisenhunt, Rex Ryan are all successful coaches who failed as retreads bc they lacked being able to adapt to changing leagues. 

5 hours ago, Lil' Shorty said:

I don t think Monken was extended past this season.  He s free to leave if he wants.  Of course, the Glazers could make it worth his while to stay.

Archived