Rookie watch thread, other than Doncic

resilient part 2

3 hours ago, champ11 said:

Nope. Just a feeling I get based on personalities/tape

JV has zero offensive game but he'll be a valuable piece because of his elite rebounding, defensive potential, and switchability on defense. JV is like a modern day Dennis Rodman while MPJ will likely be similar to guys like Danilo Gallinari and Tobias Harris.

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

JV has zero offensive game but he'll be a valuable piece because of his elite rebounding, defensive potential, and switchability on defense. JV is like a modern day Dennis Rodman while MPJ will likely be similar to guys like Danilo Gallinari and Tobias Harris.

I liked what I saw from JV's handle and passing ability in his HS hilghlights even though he didn't show much at UK. Reminded me of Lamar Odom a bit. I think he could be an incredible fit next to Jokic, so I'm pretty excited.

MPJ was a superstar in HS so it's hard to evaluate him through all the trash iso shots he took so it will be interesting how he will approach his role on the nugs when he's healthy. 

2 hours ago, champ11 said:

I liked what I saw from JV's handle and passing ability in his HS hilghlights even though he didn't show much at UK. Reminded me of Lamar Odom a bit. I think he could be an incredible fit next to Jokic, so I'm pretty excited.

MPJ was a superstar in HS so it's hard to evaluate him through all the trash iso shots he took so it will be interesting how he will approach his role on the nugs when he's healthy. 

He really needs to improve as a shooter if he's going to get consistent minutes in the modern NBA. In college, he was 0/1 from 3 and shot 22.6% on 2 point jump shots. 

If we can forget for one second that A Trier was an undrafted player and pretend he was a lottery pick, someone might say he was a top 5 rookie. Currently with 23 min per game he is averaging about 12 points per but on near 50% and 45 pct from 3. Tonight on 11 shots he scored 24 points, 10 rebounds with 7 asts. 

At minimum he is turning into one of the best undrafted players in years. At his current progression maybe he will at least make 2nd all rookie team. Good for him. And whats up with all these NBA scouts who didn't recognize his talent. He did after all play at a high level school in AZ.

15 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He really needs to improve as a shooter if he's going to get consistent minutes in the modern NBA. In college, he was 0/1 from 3 and shot 22.6% on 2 point jump shots. 

Fair point. Playing next to Jokic is a special situation though. Jokic and Faried were an elite offensive tandem....Faried just couldn't play defense. I don't think the two are that similar, but if you space the floor well without shooting and are high IQ you can be effective offensively next to Jokic. 

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

Fair point. Playing next to Jokic is a special situation though. Jokic and Faried were an elite offensive tandem....Faried just couldn't play defense. I don't think the two are that similar, but if you space the floor well without shooting and are high IQ you can be effective offensively next to Jokic. 

Faried was a very good offensive player coming into the league though while Vanderbilt has almost no offensive game and can't shoot. 

22 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Once JJJ gets his fouling and slight black-holiness on offense improved, the sky is the limit. He's so disruptive on defense already and has so much potential offensively.

How are his moves in the paint or is it strictly a face-up player question and would you consider trading him for Beal?

4 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

How are his moves in the paint or is it strictly a face-up player question and would you consider trading him for Beal?

I would absolutely not consider trading him for Beal.  I'd hang-up immediately.

He is awkward, but not uncomfortable with his back to the basket.  Can finish with either hand, but he forces the issue too often.  

Archived