State of our team

Rolni

Nobody was thrilled to see Cooper leave. But Gruden’s handling of the trade, pulling the wide receiver out of practice, and then declining to tell the team until Wednesday morning was an even bigger slap in the face

When players returned to the locker room after practice and Cooper was nowhere to be found, they scrambled to their phones to see the news.

Gruden didn’t mention the trade during practice or in his address afterward, and wasn’t expected to do so until Wednesday morning at the next team meeting.

Running back Jalen Richard told reporters that the team didn’t find out from their head coach, but rather from ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

After facing backlash, Gruden defended his decision by arguing that he wasn’t sure the trade was official.

“Well nothing’s official,” Gruden told reporters on Wednesday. “I thought maybe I should find out for sure what was going on. I don’t even know if the trade is official yet, honestly. Look, there’s people working in the building when we’re out here on the practice field. We just don’t turn the lights off. I’m not going to get into anymore. It was an uncomfortable thing. It’s not the first time I’ve seen it. It’s not the last time I’ve seen it. And it’s not the first time it’s happened in the league and it’s not the last time. It is the trade deadline looming and sometimes trades happen that are unexpected and untimely.”

As Gruden was busy speculating whether or not the trade was official, Cooper was already in Dallas and had finished his first practice with the Cowboys.

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2018/10/25/18023356/derek-carr-didnt-know-raiders-had-traded-amari-cooper-until-after-practice-when-he-said-wheres-coop

What a clown

The secretive dysfunction of this situation is a tail spin into the ocean. Seriously would you take average-ish asking price in FA to come here? We are back to square negative five. Before Reggie. We are going to have to fling the money to get people to come. Actual above average players. This image Gruden is making is just ugly and astounding in the worst way. I hope this gets cleaned up or the poop show gets out of control.

9 minutes ago, Gannon12 said:

The secretive dysfunction of this situation is a tail spin into the ocean. Seriously would you take average-ish asking price in FA to come here? We are back to square negative five. Before Reggie. We are going to have to fling the money to get people to come. Actual above average players. This image Gruden is making is just ugly and astounding in the worst way. I hope this gets cleaned up or the poop show gets out of control.

I was thinking about that the other day. We have all this cap space, now but who would want to join our team? Players who are motivated by money, I guess. Still, very very bad look overall. They better nail these draft picks.

46 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I was thinking about that the other day. We have all this cap space, now but who would want to join our team? Players who are motivated by money, I guess. Still, very very bad look overall. They better nail these draft picks.

If we start to turn it around and win Gruden looks like a genius and the players will want to come.  Problem is we have to hit on the picks and overpay vets on 1 or 2 year deals for the next 2 years.  That is why it will be a rough ride to Vegas.  If everything goes as planned the first year in Vegas will be good but we still have at least a year and a half of losing and most likely we are looking at 3.5 years of sucking before we can realistically think of contending.

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

If we start to turn it around and win Gruden looks like a genius and the players will want to come.  Problem is we have to hit on the picks and overpay vets on 1 or 2 year deals for the next 2 years.  That is why it will be a rough ride to Vegas.  If everything goes as planned the first year in Vegas will be good but we still have at least a year and a half of losing and most likely we are looking at 3.5 years of sucking before we can realistically think of contending.

Agree. Just sucks because I feel like there was a totally different way to go about this. I still don't think a full scorched earth rebuild was necessary. But whatever.

1 minute ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Agree. Just sucks because I feel like there was a totally different way to go about this. I still don't think a full scorched earth rebuild was necessary. But whatever.

The opportunity was there but not anymore.  I think the longer we hold onto Carr the more money we are wasting.  Not to say he can't be a good QB.  It just looks like the people we put around him are not going to make him better and I believe that the overall consensus here is that he is not the type of elite player that can put the team on his back.  This is just my opinion however and this is the one time that I will agree with NightTrain that I am not in the practices and therefore must trust the opinions of those that have more knowledge of the situation.  

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

The opportunity was there but not anymore.  I think the longer we hold onto Carr the more money we are wasting.  Not to say he can't be a good QB.  It just looks like the people we put around him are not going to make him better and I believe that the overall consensus here is that he is not the type of elite player that can put the team on his back.  This is just my opinion however and this is the one time that I will agree with NightTrain that I am not in the practices and therefore must trust the opinions of those that have more knowledge of the situation.  

Carr imo is Palmer 2.0

-fast 40 time but rarely uses it

-huge arm

-mistake prone 

-semi decent qb if he has a complete package of talent around him

-never the same after injury

-good for a playoff game but will never win a chip

we wasted time and $ and draft pics with Palmer and after the brief optimistic year nothing 

33 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Carr imo is Palmer 2.0

-fast 40 time but rarely uses it

-huge arm

-mistake prone 

-semi decent qb if he has a complete package of talent around him

-never the same after injury

-good for a playoff game but will never win a chip

we wasted time and $ and draft pics with Palmer and after the brief optimistic year nothing 

I believe the Bengals had a great chance of running the table in 2005 and that would have sent Palmer's career and the Bengals team in a completely different direction.  Same could be said of the Raiders after the tuck rule.  I think that Palmer is a championship caliber QB but the pieces never came together the years they had a chance to win it all.  

Maybe the window closed on Carr after the back injury or the leg.  All I know is that he will most likely be in the 8th or 9th year of his career before we start putting a top ten product on the field again.  Does everyone, including him, want to pay him $20-25 million a year while his prime is wasted.  I will not bank on him lasting in the league past 35 either.  My belief currently is that he is not the QBOTF for us but I could very easily be wrong.

37 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I believe the Bengals had a great chance of running the table in 2005 and that would have sent Palmer's career and the Bengals team in a completely different direction.  Same could be said of the Raiders after the tuck rule.  I think that Palmer is a championship caliber QB but the pieces never came together the years they had a chance to win it all.  

Maybe the window closed on Carr after the back injury or the leg.  All I know is that he will most likely be in the 8th or 9th year of his career before we start putting a top ten product on the field again.  Does everyone, including him, want to pay him $20-25 million a year while his prime is wasted.  I will not bank on him lasting in the league past 35 either.  My belief currently is that he is not the QBOTF for us but I could very easily be wrong.

Palmer before the injury was pure fire and success. Like a wizard. Kitna filled in and did ok but Palmer changed after his injury 

He is no Kenny Stabler........  he cries when he gets hit or he falls down sometimes no one is there but he throws it away anyways. Do we want little sally wearing the number four to at least try or just cry......

wheres cooper????!????!!!!?  He left the poopstorm. Cowboys got fleeced onlything Gruden has done good. Carr needs the perfect pocket. can he Russell Wilson anything.... he is not our future and I hope not. 

Archived