State of our team

Rolni

2 minutes ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

Anyone else really worried about our 2018 draft class?  I hated the class on draft day and it was widely criticized and then after some time most us became more positive about the class during training camp.  Now it’s starting to look like all our concerns were valid and it really worries me about the future of this team because so much relies on hitting on picks.

Kolton Miller - the one player I wanted us the avoid in the 1st round.  Looked decent the first few games but has been absolutely atrocious the last 3 or 4, looking just as bad as he did at UCLA.  Hopefully it’s just his knee but given what he did at UCLA im not feeling confident

PJ Hall, Arden Key, Maurice Hurst - Hurst has been the best of the group it everyone is pretty meh so far although Hall has been dealing with injuries.  Our pass rush is abysmal and this trio obviously isn’t ready to fill the holes along the line. 

Brandon Parker - he’s been terrible and cant play over our awful backup OTs.  That shouldn’t happen to a 3rd round pick.

Townsend - embarrassment needs to get cut next week.

I think Kolton Miller will develop into a Top 10 LT and Hurst will develop into an above average starter. Everyone else I don’t have much hope for. 

7 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I think Kolton Miller will develop into a Top 10 LT and Hurst will develop into an above average starter. Everyone else I don’t have much hope for. 

Why do you feel that way about Kolton Miller?

He was pretty bad at UCLA and has looked awful the last 3 or 4 games.

1 minute ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

Why do you feel that way about Kolton Miller?

He was pretty bad at UCLA and has looked awful the last 3 or 4 games.

His fundamentals are pretty solid, I think he just needs a year behind his belt. And LT is not an easy position to play, most teams put their drafted LTs at RT for one year. I don’t think Kolton will ever be a Pro Bowl LT but I think he’ll sit at the edge of that Top 10 and be a quality starter. 

Sucks the Niners took that T from Notre Dame one pick before us. It was said we wanted him and he’s having an absolutely amazing season. 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

His fundamentals are pretty solid, I think he just needs a year behind his belt. And LT is not an easy position to play, most teams put their drafted LTs at RT for one year. I don’t think Kolton will ever be a Pro Bowl LT but I think he’ll sit at the edge of that Top 10 and be a quality starter. 

Sucks the Niners took that T from Notre Dame one pick before us. It was said we wanted him and he’s having an absolutely amazing season. 

Not sure why you think his fundamentals are solid?

He was I incredibly raw out of UCLA and was drafted mostly based on is potential.  If anything he has high upside but a really low floor.  He’s phenomenal reach blocking and pulling in the run game but his pass sets are atrocious right now and it hasn’t really improved at all.  I was willing to give Cable the benefit of the doubt but after these last 8 weeks im done doing that.

1 hour ago, justwinbaby81 said:

To this day I have not seen what the fuss was about Guenther anyway. 

Was moderately successful in Cincy. Albeit with Zimmer's player and Marvin's oversight. Certainly looks lost here... players are not even fighting for him. Flat out quit on him this week.

People can pat themselves on the back saying the Cable hire was awful....well no sht. We all said that, it was clear as day xD. Bad scheme fit, bad coach, bad guy, bad retread. Who honestly liked the hire?? 

Funny thing is, some Raider fans tried to justify the move. Well he was only given projects to work with. Seattle didn't invest in the Oline, etc, etc. However, they had more picks on the Oline from 2011-2017 than any team in the NFL. Cable was the constant. 

Cable is a bum. Seattle's doing less with more this season than the Raiders. Hmmm...... 

Lastly--an odd time to rip Carr. He has 0 help on a short week. No time to throw and no weapons to throw to. He is one of the only players who has not quit and has been our only vocal leader despite criticism from all outsiders including Raider fans. And you're mad he slid a bit early on a scramble in a blowout?

Carr is a cheeseball. Nobody is buying his "leadership" at this stage or all his He sacked himself 3 different times. Pressure got to him yet again and he folded like a lawn chair, predictably. Started checking down immediately, throwing off his back foot. Taking a sack vs. trying to evade. Tired of him..... that slide was just hilarious. He's so scared of pressure at this point he just goes down because the "thinks" it's coming.

Mad he doesn't throw downfield more? Do you guys seriously watch the games? Draw up a play that he can throw downfield given his resources. We would all love to see it.

Been watching all the games since Christmas eve 2016 and he's not the same guy. Take that for what you will. It's not just about throwing deep. He's had many chances, he doesn't let the play develop because he's scared in the pocket. Really is what it is at this stage. 

This fanbase sounds dumber every week. Harsh, but true. 

Depends on your narrative. If you really think Gruden is going to have the last laugh and you can win a Superbowl with De"wrecked" Carr then yeah, I probably sound dumb to you.  

Listen I am not on the Carr train either at this stage. But showing passing charts and a referencing a slide that was early...it's petty. If people are ready to move on from the guy or keep him, this last game did not vindicate either side. 

The horrendous decision-making in Rams/Dolphins/Chargers/Browns games is what I point to in regards to losing faith in Carr. Not complaining that he slid early, or asking why doesn't he throw downfield when we have no protection nor deep threats, or if he was/was not crying against Seattle, or if he's cheesy in his press conferences and tweets...to point to those things is childish at a minimum, and stupid at times. Bottom line. If it's not about those things as you said, then stop bringing them up. Otherwise continue sounding how you sound.

1 hour ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

Anyone else really worried about our 2018 draft class?  I hated the class on draft day and it was widely criticized and then after some time most us became more positive about the class during training camp.  Now it’s starting to look like all our concerns were valid and it really worries me about the future of this team because so much relies on hitting on picks.

Kolton Miller - the one player I wanted us the avoid in the 1st round.  Looked decent the first few games but has been absolutely atrocious the last 3 or 4, looking just as bad as he did at UCLA.  Hopefully it’s just his knee but given what he did at UCLA im not feeling confident

PJ Hall, Arden Key, Maurice Hurst - Hurst has been the best of the group it everyone is pretty meh so far although Hall has been dealing with injuries.  Our pass rush is abysmal and this trio obviously isn’t ready to fill the holes along the line. 

Brandon Parker - he’s been terrible and cant play over our awful backup OTs.  That shouldn’t happen to a 3rd round pick.

Miller - Been nicked up. Biggest issue is nobody has helped him fix his false steps. Big issue at UCLA and still an issue for him now.

Parker - Hated this pick. He was pretty awful in the pre-draft process. Small school guy. Certainly doesn't look ready for any meaningful playing time

Towsend - The knee jerk punter pick that Gruden will not let go. How many <30 yard punts do you need to put on film to get cut? It's like Gruden is trying to make a point over cutting King and doesn't want the backlash. You could stash Towsend on the PS if he's that important to you to keep. Nobody is signing him. Get a punter punter

14 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

Listen I am not on the Carr train either at this stage. But showing passing charts and a referencing a slide that was early...it's petty. If people are ready to move on from the guy or keep him, this last game did not vindicate either side. 

The horrendous decision-making in Rams/Dolphins/Chargers/Browns games is what I point to in regards to losing faith in Carr. Not complaining that he slid early, or asking why doesn't he throw downfield when we have no protection nor deep threats, or if he was/was not crying against Seattle, or if he's cheesy in his press conferences and tweets...to point to those things is childish at a minimum, and stupid at times. Bottom line. If it's not about those things as you said, then stop bringing them up. Otherwise continue sounding how you sound.

For the record, I just posted those to start a discussion, not make a point. There are a lot of factors on his play. And I agree, his decision making is questionable and that is the biggest concern.

3 hours ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Towsend - The knee jerk punter pick that Gruden will not let go. How many <30 yard punts do you need to put on film to get cut? It's like Gruden is trying to make a point over cutting King and doesn't want the backlash. You could stash Towsend on the PS if he's that important to you to keep. Nobody is signing him. Get a punter punter

I feel bad for the kid at this point. He's one of the most technically inept players I've ever seen in the NFL, and there's no way he should be playing at this level.

As someone who has played soccer and spent many years kicking a ball, as I'm sure Townsend has, I honestly struggle to understand why he has so many that only go about 20-30 yards. Even if you can't position your punts to the sidelines or to a particular place, it's incredibly basic to punt a ball hard in a straight line.

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Some of it is protection, sure. Cable is garbage. Called that one in the offseason. But let's not pretend like Carr isn't part of the issue. 

There is significant amount of film that show him failing to hang in the pocket and taking the check down instead of letting a play develop. Or worse, simply checking down on plays when he has a lot of time. And when he does throw down field, he floats passes with a lot of air under them. 

He's broken. He can't handle pressure and is looking to check it down to quickly. He sacked himself 3-4 times last night alone. was 

You may be right about being broke now, I put blame on everybody else but Carr.  At the beginning of the game he’s a dead man walking  and it’s a shame,. it’s the same thing  Texas did to his brother.

So what do we do about the defense? Guenther isn't working with the cream of the crop. But he isn't doing himself many favors either. I say give him another year, I guess. Not so much because I'm stoked on the job he's done. Or even for continuity's sakes. The yoyo thing he's doing with snap counts is really bad.

Underlying point really is....who would want to coach our defense after this year? No one reputable. I wouldn't want to work for Gruden if I had a chance of going somewhere that had their self together. Not to mention with the lack of talent. The only thing we have going is a plethora of draft picks and the chance to mold a defense as you see fit. But unless someone good molds that defense, it'll get molded into crap.

36 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

You may be right about being broke now, I put blame on everybody else but Carr.  At the beginning of the game he’s a dead man walking  and it’s a shame,. it’s the same thing  Texas did to his brother.

Carr has looked better in the last 2 weeks and less shell shocked if you ask me. At least now he is trying to move a bit in the pocket and make something happen on occasion. 

1 hour ago, CerealKiller said:

Carr has looked better in the last 2 weeks and less shell shocked if you ask me. At least now he is trying to move a bit in the pocket and make something happen on occasion. 

I struggle to understand how anyone could watch that game and think Carr was in any position to succeed. Where are the sacks he "stepped into"? He was getting swarmed from all sides. The pocket was consistently collapsing as he went through his reads.

How many throws was he flat out missing due to poor accuracy? Maybe if the other 10 guys can do their job, he can actually be put in a position to deliver accurate balls like the week before. I didn't think he looked skittish in the pocket. He just didn't have a chance.

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Carr is a cheeseball. Nobody is buying his "leadership" at this stage or all his He sacked himself 3 different times. Pressure got to him yet again and he folded like a lawn chair, predictably. Started checking down immediately, throwing off his back foot. Taking a sack vs. trying to evade. Tired of him..... that slide was just hilarious. He's so scared of pressure at this point he just goes down because the "thinks" it's coming.

Been watching all the games since Christmas eve 2016 and he's not the same guy. Take that for what you will. It's not just about throwing deep. He's had many chances, he doesn't let the play develop because he's scared in the pocket. Really is what it is at this stage. 

I came to this conclusion last year. Carr is a fraud and I want him gone after this year. Nice guy and all, but he's not the long term QB for this team. 

1 hour ago, CerealKiller said:

He made some nice improv plays against the colts that surprised me, but it's just not his game or who he is. He is 5 years in and he is what he is. Watching Carr run around looks super awkward and and unnatural. He will never be that guy to extend a play or make many off scheduled throws.

And his pocket movement skills are trash. Even the statues like Phillip Rivers, Brady can move around in a muddied pocket to get a throw off. Carr curls up in a fetal position, its embarrassing. 

Archived