State of our team

Rolni

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Instead of passive aggressive questions, what makes you think this was anything close to a championship caliber roster? If we keep Mack, and Carr performa better in Grudens system, then we can possibly contend in the 9-10 win area, but our roster is still trash and we aren’t sniffing a Super Bowl. Can you explain your stance on it instead of being so obsessed with mine? Many fans had us winning 9 games with Mack and instantly changed to 5-6 wins after. 

Personally I agree with the tank approach. You get Nick Bosa. A cheap Mack for 5 years. Then you have the two first round picks from Mack from the Bears, so it almost looks free if we get Bosa. Then you have the 1st from Dallas for Cooper. Sorry, Cooper is trash. Let me guess, you thought we should of kept him too?

Not that I mean to interrupt the back and forth but I disagree with the notion that prior to this season the roster is trash. Prior to the regular season I and many others thought:

Carr - franchise QB though not elite, in a complimentary system most thought he would be very good

Lynch, Richard - still a very decent RB who's hard to bring down and complimentary change of pace back

Cooper, Nelson, Bryant - talented receiving core, Cooper needs to be consistent and cut his concentration drops but Bryant will open the field up for us and Nelson is Mr reliable

Cook, Smith - very talented receiving TE and hard nosed blocking TE

Interior OL - top 3 in the league and if Penn had returned back at LT top 5 OL

Mack, Irvin - All pro pass rusher and his above average sidekick with Arden Key looking promising as a rotational rusher

Ellis, Hurst, Hall - solid if unspectacular run stuffer plus the first time in ages we may have interior penetration

Conley, Melvin - starting CB duo with plenty of potential

Joseph - shown glimpses but mismatched against large receiving TEs

King - volatile but very talented punter

The roster we had was good enough to at least challenge for the playoffs, it would have needed adding to and moulding but that after all is the job of the HC and GM. To say the roster was trash is just incorrect and revisionist aimed at making excuses for Gruden's terrible show IMHO. 

Hey Darbsk!

Spot on write ups man! I agree with you totally about the roster we had and about the question marks regarding Gruden and the rebuild.

We needed a quality Offensive HC and an upgrade at DC. Then we would have needed a good FA session and a good draft to get going again. 

Just imagine for a second what could a Kyle Shanahan do with Carr, Lynch, Richard, Cooper, Cook when he has a Penn-KO-Hudson-Gabe-? OL...not even funny...

42 minutes ago, NJ Raider said:

The fact that Reggie drafted obi over kamara is enough reason to can him. Throw all of the other botches on top of that...time for a change.

Obi was thought of as a possible first round pick. Solid value. There were many times that I had a bone to pick with players we selected, but I can deal with that one.

15 hours ago, Rolni said:

Hey Darbsk!

Spot on write ups man! I agree with you totally about the roster we had and about the question marks regarding Gruden and the rebuild.

We needed a quality Offensive HC and an upgrade at DC. Then we would have needed a good FA session and a good draft to get going again. 

Just imagine for a second what could a Kyle Shanahan do with Carr, Lynch, Richard, Cooper, Cook when he has a Penn-KO-Hudson-Gabe-? OL...not even funny...

Hi Rolni,

Yes, it's frustrating as we saw glimpses with the much maligned Bill Musgrave of what this offense could be. Couple that with the instant improvement John Pagano made on D when he came in and I really thought with good coordinators on both sides we could have troubled the big boys of the league. It still saddens me to think JDR let Musgrave go and kept Ken Norton..........oh how things could have been different!

Still, we all live in hope that this ship is steered away from the looming rocks and that Gruden actually has a plan :)

I just went back and checked RM's drafts and came away with a new idea.

RM might still be in this rebuild with Jon after all...

Kolton Miller was a small reach for a need position. He was the best remaining LT prospect, but definately not the BPA pick. Hayden, Joseph picke were made by similar approach IMO.

PJ Hall was a reach for a need position. A guy with great upside, but pretty raw. Watson, Edwards, Ward were similar picks.

Middle of the draft is where Reggie likes to go OL/DL...Bergstrom, Gabe, Jelly, Calhoun, Vanderdoes, Sharpe...we got Key, Parker and Hurst now.

Victor was the usual middle LB pick...Heeney, Ball, Lee...

Am I delusional here?

3 hours ago, Rolni said:

Kolton Miller was a small reach for a need position. He was the best remaining LT prospect, but definately not the BPA pick. Hayden, Joseph picke were made by similar approach IMO.

PJ Hall was a reach for a need position. A guy with great upside, but pretty raw. Watson, Edwards, Ward were similar picks.

Middle of the draft is where Reggie likes to go OL/DL...Bergstrom, Gabe, Jelly, Calhoun, Vanderdoes, Sharpe...we got Key, Parker and Hurst now.

Am I delusional here?

Fair point. Never looked at it like that. It reminded of an Al Davis when i analyzed it tho.

5 hours ago, Rolni said:

Am I delusional here?

Dude, Parker and PJ made me think of Reggie so much. First round screamed Gruden though imo.

Bears fan here... due to my love of the draft and certain prospects, you guys became my second favorite team. I loved Khalil Mack (even more now! lol), Derek Carr, Amari Cooper, Karl Joseph, etc. Ya'll were on the up-and-up and now it seems like everything is being imploded. What the hell happened? Was it all Gruden? Is he tanking on purpose to build a young team in his image?

The last thing I want to see happen do Derek Carr is him get his brains beaten in like his brother which leads him to fold. 

Check this lift our team up plan out! :)

Cut:

Tahir Whitehead and save 6+M

Seth Roberts and save 4,5+M

Andrew DePaloa and save 900K

We would have 91M in cap space even with Penn still on board, who I would consider bringing back to help the young guys out. Ideally on a reduced contract.

I would also keep KO, Gabe and Derek Carr in place. After we get our new OL coach, which is a must, we should be in solid situation with Miller, KO, Hudson, Gabe, Parker, Penn, Silberman, Felciano before the FA period and the draft. Carr gives us the best chance to win IMO, I can't really see the benefit in trading, cutting him. He should be better in year 2, behind a better line. If he countinues to struggle, we will be in good place in the 2020 draft to address the situation, position.

I would resign:

Jared Cook for a nice 2-3 year deal around 6-7M/year. Big contract alert!

Brandon LaFell for a 1 year deal.

Marshawn Lynch (or Doug Martin (if he keeps up the Colts form)) for a 1 year deal.

Jon Feliciano for a 2-3 year solid depth, rotational OG deal.

Dwyane Harris for a 1 year deal.

Ian Silberman for a 1 year deal after he hits the FA market without an RFA tender.

I would tender:

Jalen Richard (2nd)

Daryl Worley (2nd)

Erik Harris (original)

Fadol Brown, Jason Cabinda, Trent Sieg, Marcell Ateman, Daniel Carlson (ERFA)

I would sign:

John Brown WR to a 3-4 year deal to be our deep threat. Big contract alert

Ryan Grant WR to a 1 year deal to be our slot WR.

Ty Nsekhe OT to a 1 year deal to help at OT.

Za'Darius Smith ED to a 3-4 year deal to be one of our starting DE's. Big contract alert!

Vincent Rey LB to a 1 year deal.

Darquez Dennard CB to a 2-3 year deal to from a good quartett with the guys already on roster.

George Iloka S to a 2-3 year deal to start and join Harris and Karl. 

Draft:

1.a. Nick Bosa ED

1.b. Devin White LB

1.c. Raekwon Davis DT

2. Marvell Tell S

3.-7. BPA

4 hours ago, Rolni said:

Check this lift our team up plan out! :)

Cut:

Tahir Whitehead and save 6+M

Seth Roberts and save 4,5+M

Andrew DePaloa and save 900K

We would have 91M in cap space even with Penn still on board, who I would consider bringing back to help the young guys out. Ideally on a reduced contract.

I would also keep KO, Gabe and Derek Carr in place. After we get our new OL coach, which is a must, we should be in solid situation with Miller, KO, Hudson, Gabe, Parker, Penn, Silberman, Felciano before the FA period and the draft. Carr gives us the best chance to win IMO, I can't really see the benefit in trading, cutting him. He should be better in year 2, behind a better line. If he countinues to struggle, we will be in good place in the 2020 draft to address the situation, position.

I would resign:

Jared Cook for a nice 2-3 year deal around 6-7M/year. Big contract alert!

Brandon LaFell for a 1 year deal.

Marshawn Lynch (or Doug Martin (if he keeps up the Colts form)) for a 1 year deal.

Jon Feliciano for a 2-3 year solid depth, rotational OG deal.

Dwyane Harris for a 1 year deal.

Ian Silberman for a 1 year deal after he hits the FA market without an RFA tender.

I would tender:

Jalen Richard (2nd)

Daryl Worley (2nd)

Erik Harris (original)

Fadol Brown, Jason Cabinda, Trent Sieg, Marcell Ateman, Daniel Carlson (ERFA)

I would sign:

John Brown WR to a 3-4 year deal to be our deep threat. Big contract alert

Ryan Grant WR to a 1 year deal to be our slot WR.

Ty Nsekhe OT to a 1 year deal to help at OT.

Za'Darius Smith ED to a 3-4 year deal to be one of our starting DE's. Big contract alert!

Vincent Rey LB to a 1 year deal.

Darquez Dennard CB to a 2-3 year deal to from a good quartett with the guys already on roster.

George Iloka S to a 2-3 year deal to start and join Harris and Karl. 

Draft:

1.a. Nick Bosa ED

1.b. Devin White LB

1.c. Raekwon Davis DT

2. Marvell Tell S

3.-7. BPA

I like most of this... I would Bring on Earl Thomas instead of Iloka.... if we go defense heavy, we going need a vet leader...I still think Earl going be be stud and hall of famer.... 

5 hours ago, G08 said:

Bears fan here... due to my love of the draft and certain prospects, you guys became my second favorite team. I loved Khalil Mack (even more now! lol), Derek Carr, Amari Cooper, Karl Joseph, etc. Ya'll were on the up-and-up and now it seems like everything is being imploded. What the hell happened? Was it all Gruden? Is he tanking on purpose to build a young team in his image?

The last thing I want to see happen do Derek Carr is him get his brains beaten in like his brother which leads him to fold. 

we drafted horrible after the Carr and Mack draft.... miss on so many picks... Jack Del Rio exposed as coach, he hired two of the worst coordinators(probably hurt team development).. None of those picks developed, and Gruden decided to blow it up and get rid of a bunch of under achievers.Even Cooper became a letdown after a promising start. Carr and Mack had to be MVPs to be 12-4, and Carr won many games in 4th quarters that year....Old GM failed to land any key Free agents when we had money, Suh or Campbell and FAILED to sign Mack to extension... 

Archived