State of our team

Rolni

6 minutes ago, NJ Raider said:

If we trade cooper, would any of you be on board with giving up a mid rounder for devante Parker? I know he has been frequently nicked up but could benefit from a change of scenery and would be a nice big target for Carr.

No more injured players please. We can’t afford hope at this point

1 hour ago, NJ Raider said:

If we trade cooper, would any of you be on board with giving up a mid rounder for devante Parker? I know he has been frequently nicked up but could benefit from a change of scenery and would be a nice big target for Carr.

Heck no, Parker is never healthy even dating back to college. And help Carr? We are probably getting rid of Carr. We wasted one pick on Martavis Bryant, let’s not waste another. 

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:40 AM, 808sinfour4time said:

If we had beaten Denver and Miami, (1) there would be less (a) negativity and (b) talk of an impeding fire sale, and (2) the "general state of things" would be quite different.

The exercise is kind of pointless.

But even if you'd asked us to consider the hypothetical through a different lens, I'm not sure things would be that different. We'd still be, at best, a rather distant third-best team in our own division. And I don't think wins against a mediocre Miami team and a not-great Denver team would mean we are a playoff team. We'd be in a better position, obviously, but I still don't think we'd get anywhere close. We'd just be one of those slightly random teams that has a .500 record but terrible DVOA rankings in all three phases.

It proved a big point to me.  For all the moaning and groaning about player movement, what really matters is winning. 

It also proved once again how impatient and cynical most fans are.  The same fans that call a 1st rounder a bust after 6 games are probably the ones calling for Gruden's head. 

I'm also shocked that no one can even conceive that Gruden(or anyone for that matter), could go into a season hoping for the best, but when it doesn't go well start making changes.  The offseason proved to everyone that Gruden didn't like the roster and would overhaul it the way he wanted.  Still confused to why anyone is still not aware of this.  Meanwhile, Reggie has proven that he is a GM who drafts what his coaches want.  Allen, JDR, and now Gruden have gotten the players they want to fit their schemes.  New coaches and new schemes = new players. 

With all of that said, I'm not happy about where we are anymore than anyone else.  Maybe I just understood when we hired Gruden that the odds were with this being a 2-3 year transition. Just like his first go around. Doesn't mean that what he is doing will end up working in the end, but it's the road we are on. At the very least, the next two offseasons should be exciting.

Are any players untouchable? McKenzie was asked.

“I’m untouchable,” McKenzie said, smiling. “Seriously, I’m not going to say anyone’s untouchable. In my heart of hearts would I hate to lose some players more than others? Absolutely. … The lines as far as communication for me with any team will always be open to anyone on any one of our players.”

Gruden wasn’t available to reporters Monday, and the Raiders were trying to paint a picture of a unified front … until Gruden told ESPN’s Chris Mortensen later in the day that the hotlines are closed. 

Mortensen asked Gruden about Carr and the coach said, “We’re not trading anyone else. We’re trying to stay competitive and figure out a way to compete this next game.”

What a joke. 

Also, anyone else notice how it seems like whenever there's smoke, there's fire lately? FO can't keep secrets evidently.

26 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

What a joke. 

Also, anyone else notice how it seems like whenever there's smoke, there's fire lately? FO can't keep secrets evidently.

That’s Gruden. I’m sure he’s the leak that’s his MO, if he has a problem the press finds out then when asked about it he acts aloof and surprised. I seriously can’t believe how these guys aren’t on the same page and Gruden is the biggest liar in football. Tbh I’m not surprised the lockeroom is falling apart. 

My thoughts on the State of the Nation. Pretty clear now (if it was evident for you before week 1) Gruden thought little of this roster. Maybe if Mack doesn't hold out, he has a different perception of things. But he held out and Gruden and the staff saw a roster void of talent. That triggered the "long term plan" for them starting with the Mack trade. 

2016 was an aberration. They didn't think this was a tweak the roster situation after getting hands on and I personally cannot argue that. Outside Mack and "hoping Carr/Cooper" can rebound, there was little to like about this roster. 

So what's the state of the nation..... rebuild mode and 5 first round picks to work with. Here is BP's GM plan:

Free agency

1) Add vet CB Denard or Darby to pair with Conley and Nelson

2) Add vet WR - John Brown would offer a speed element. Enunwa, Tate are a couple intriguing options

Draft

1)Find the QB - Carr looks broken. He's not elevated to franchise QB we hoped. He looks timid, skittish and has lost command of the team. Hope Herbert Declares or stop gap until 2020

2)Pass Rushers - Raiders should be in the Bosa mix. If QB isn't there, Bosa is the guy to get.

3)Draft game changer in the secondary - Deionte Thompson is my favorite. Can do it all. True difference maker

4)Draft another pass rusher or LB - BPA with the 3rd pick in round 1

5)Draft skill positions rounds 2 and 3 - BPA at WR / TE / RB 

WR and TE classes are talented and deep this year. 

Build the defense early and get skill positions you can develop.

I agree I would like to see us go EDGE and hopefully get Bosa. The other two first rounders let’s go defensive BPA and overall BPA. If all three end up being defense I’m totally happy with that. 3rd or 4th Round let’s get Will Grier from WVU, only QB I like in this draft. Gunslinger and very solid under pressure which will be a breath of fresh air. Let’s also sign Ryan Fitzpatrick to a two year deal with nothing guaranteed in the 2nd year. Gruden turned journeyman Gannon into a stud, perhaps he can do it with Fitz. 

If Fitz and Grier don’t work out, which realistically, they probably won’t, draft QBOTF with our first round pick in 2020. I think Grier will be a solid backup. In this day and age, you really do need to spend a 3rd-4th Round Pick on a solid backup QB. Such an offensive league, a backup can still win the SB in a great scheme. 

We also need a WR in the 2nd and RB in the 3rd at some point, either year is fine. We’ve neglected RB for far to long, 3rd Round is usually the sweet spot lately. 

40 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

My thoughts on the State of the Nation. Pretty clear now (if it was evident for you before week 1) Gruden thought little of this roster. Maybe if Mack doesn't hold out, he has a different perception of things. But he held out and Gruden and the staff saw a roster void of talent. That triggered the "long term plan" for them starting with the Mack trade. 

2016 was an aberration. They didn't think this was a tweak the roster situation after getting hands on and I personally cannot argue that. Outside Mack and "hoping Carr/Cooper" can rebound, there was little to like about this roster. 

So what's the state of the nation..... rebuild mode and 5 first round picks to work with. Here is BP's GM plan:

Free agency

1) Add vet CB Denard or Darby to pair with Conley and Nelson

2) Add vet WR - John Brown would offer a speed element. Enunwa, Tate are a couple intriguing options

Draft

1)Find the QB - Carr looks broken. He's not elevated to franchise QB we hoped. He looks timid, skittish and has lost command of the team. Hope Herbert Declares or stop gap until 2020

2)Pass Rushers - Raiders should be in the Bosa mix. If QB isn't there, Bosa is the guy to get.

3)Draft game changer in the secondary - Deionte Thompson is my favorite. Can do it all. True difference maker

4)Draft another pass rusher or LB - BPA with the 3rd pick in round 1

5)Draft skill positions rounds 2 and 3 - BPA at WR / TE / RB 

WR and TE classes are talented and deep this year. 

Build the defense early and get skill positions you can develop.

I expect us to trade a couple picks.  I just hope they are to move down and gain more picks in future drafts.  I might lose it if we start trading our picks for vets that are close to 30.

8 hours ago, Chali21 said:

That’s Gruden. I’m sure he’s the leak that’s his MO, if he has a problem the press finds out then when asked about it he acts aloof and surprised. I seriously can’t believe how these guys aren’t on the same page and Gruden is the biggest liar in football. Tbh I’m not surprised the lockeroom is falling apart. 

The lockerroom is falling apart because they are all considered replaceable, and allmost (?) all will not be part of the Vegas Raiders. Imo it has nothing to do with Gruden being a liar, just that the players knowing they have no future here.

6 minutes ago, Roninho said:

The lockerroom is falling apart because they are all considered replaceable, and allmost (?) all will not be part of the Vegas Raiders. Imo it has nothing to do with Gruden being a liar, just that the players knowing they have no future here.

Where are people getting that the locker room is falling apart? Drawing that conclusion because guys didn't wanna talk about Cooper getting traded is a far reach. Maybe they just wanna get on with business or are even a little upset but those are far cries from disaster in the locker room. Stop falling for bloggers rhetoric. It's click bait.

3 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Where are people getting that the locker room is falling apart? Drawing that conclusion because guys didn't wanna talk about Cooper getting traded is a far reach. Maybe they just wanna get on with business or are even a little upset but those are far cries from disaster in the locker room. Stop falling for bloggers rhetoric. It's click bait.

The last time somebody said it was click bait was when the rumours of Mack being traded started.

It’s not imaginable that the locker room is unhappy at developments. Younger players will be wondering for their future, veterans will be unhappy at a lost season, tbh it would be harder to understand that the locker room is happy with what’s going on.

Archived