2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Ahh the Yankees.. just sign the best players on the market and hope for the best. 

At least with the Red Sox and Astros they see what fits their team and don’t just rush to find all the shiny new toys. Fits and team chemistry are big components to a baseball team. Not to mention Red Sox and Astros both look at a lot of metrics. 

Yankees, sign biggest player is their holy strategy. Greatly ran baseball team. 

How is this a "sign all the best players regardless of fit" strategy? Machado is very needed for NYYs poor infield D and a less all or nothing bat. Brantley is a solid player but I expect him to be 10-15 on the top FA list this winter. The rest is resigns and trades. Your reaction would have made sense if I said "yanks sign Machado, Corbin and Kuechel".

12 hours ago, crab1106 said:

Trade Andujar + for Carlos Martinez

Have to imagine that plus is something significant, because there's no real reason to deal Carlos Martinez.  As much as Andujar brings to the table, he's probably going to have to move to 1B sooner rather than later.  He graded out miserably this year at 3B.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Have to imagine that plus is something significant, because there's no real reason to deal Carlos Martinez.  As much as Andujar brings to the table, he's probably going to have to move to 1B sooner rather than later.  He graded out miserably this year at 3B.

No team has a reason to move a young SP, I just knw there was smoke around moving him this year and they need offense. That offensive year from Andujar is special so I dont see the deal being far off. I love CMart but his value was not increased in 2018 thats for sure. 

5 minutes ago, crab1106 said:

No team has a reason to move a young SP, I just knw there was smoke around moving him this year and they need offense. That offensive year from Andujar is special so I dont see the deal being far off. I love CMart but his value was not increased in 2018 thats for sure. 

He's still one one of the most team-friendly deal for a SP, so you're going to give up a TON to get the Cardinals to move him.  Probably more than he's worth.  As I mentioned, Andujar's bat is great, but his glove is miserable and he loses value if you kick him across the diamond.

On 10/10/2018 at 7:51 PM, Slateman said:

Nats trade bonus pool money for Barraclough. He has declined every year hes been in MLB. Hes middle relief fodder at this point. Would rather have the signing pool money.

Yeah, but you guys stuck it to the Orioles on that one given the whole MASN dispute.  The Marlins are trying to make up the difference in international money for Victor Victor Mesa and his brother, and the Nats can't spend more than $300k on one player.  Maybe your FO sees something in Barraclough that they can adjust and turn him around. 

10 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yeah, but you guys stuck it to the Orioles on that one given the whole MASN dispute.  The Marlins are trying to make up the difference in international money for Victor Victor Mesa and his brother, and the Nats can't spend more than $300k on one player.  Maybe your FO sees something in Barraclough that they can adjust and turn him around. 

They dont turn anyone around. They do the opposite. 

On 10/11/2018 at 1:44 PM, tom cody said:

Yankees need pitching help, a guy like Corbin would help big time with that for sure. 

Would he? From what I'm reading he's a #3 - and honestly, the only thing I see him having over Happ is age.

9 hours ago, crab1106 said:

When Cash is out there saying he's gone I bet he ends up non-tendered. His value is so low now. My "offseason plan" had him worth Eric Thames but that may have been too high

Sonny Gray = dead man walking in NY.
He's AJ Burnett Redux. Cant cut it in the Big Apple.

8 hours ago, Slateman said:

They dont turn anyone around. They do the opposite. 

Still, it's a solid trade if they don't feel they can use that money effectively.  Three years of control over a reliever right now is something many teams are looking for.  

By the way, is this the same Slateman from SRM? 

I wonder what market there will be for Harper. The guy is a good name and has talent but that talent doesn't always happen. What teams will go for him? Will the Yankees go for him? How about the Phillies? Can the Nationals keep him? Certainly will be interesting to follow. 

Archived