2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

Just now, tom cody said:

With the quality of players out there I expected some more noise here in the off season. Hopefully we'll get some movement soon. 

Starting to look more and more like the game is heading for labor unrest . 

13 minutes ago, crab1106 said:

Starting to look more and more like the game is heading for labor unrest . 

No kidding. The fact that baseball player salaries look high on their face has disguised the fact that MLB players are getting less than 40% of the total team revenue whereas every other major pro sport has settled into the 50% range.

There is going to be a serious, serious response from the players. And there should be.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

No kidding. The fact that baseball player salaries look high on their face has disguised the fact that MLB players are getting less than 40% of the total team revenue whereas every other major pro sport has settled into the 50% range.

There is going to be a serious, serious response from the players. And there should be.

Was just thinking while watching the show on the 90s Braves that the Braves are going to get screwed with another canceled season at their peak of young guys. 

3 minutes ago, crab1106 said:

Was just thinking while watching the show on the 90s Braves that the Braves are going to get screwed with another canceled season at their peak of young guys. 

I mean the reality here is that the players have more leverage than they realized in the last CBA. They're the engine of a > $10B, moving to $15B machine. They should ask for a salary cap and salary floor, with revenue sharing to make it viable, and get to 46-50% of total revenue to lock teams in. 

Whether that screws the Braves (eh not really they should be a luxury tax team) or Brewers (yep but even as a fan this is getting ridiculous) really starts to come second. I don't want to watch baseball to have a bunch of Steinbrenner trust fund babies post 30% operating margins year over year. I wanna watch teams go balls deep to win.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I mean the reality here is that the players have more leverage than they realized in the last CBA. They're the engine of a > $10B, moving to $15B machine. They should ask for a salary cap and salary floor, with revenue sharing to make it viable, and get to 46-50% of total revenue to lock teams in. 

Whether that screws the Braves (eh not really they should be a luxury tax team) or Brewers (yep but even as a fan this is getting ridiculous) really starts to come second. I don't want to watch baseball to have a bunch of Steinbrenner trust fund babies post 30% operating margins year over year. I wanna watch teams go balls deep to win.

Yea, Tony Clark really did nothing for the PA in the last CBA. When you have 26 yo superstars begging for bidders then something is broken. Luxury tax should be like 300 mil and floor should be like 100 mil (or maybe a calc of 50% team revenue).

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Just an FYI, your goal is to win baseball games. Not make the Steinbrenner's money.

2015 - NYY payroll #2 in MLB - they won 87 games.
2016 - NYY payroll #2 in MLB - they won 84 games.
2017 - NYY payroll #3 in MLB - they won 91 games.
2018 - NYY payroll #6 in MLB - they won 100 games.

Clearly the NYY have been BOTH spending alot of money and winning games -  but its not all about gross expenditures.
Now - if you're gonna apply "George's Theory" that any season w/o winning the championship is a wasted season....well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. 

The NYY have been doing their part to make a lot of guys rich - while putting a good product on the field and remaining a league leader in overall attendance. They DRIVE revenue for all the other clubs. If there's "angry players" out there - they've no case against the NYY. I think the "*****" (if it exists) would best be directed at the other teams who've been pocketing cash and putting substandard talent on the field - or achieving less than stellar results - I cant be certain which. 

LOL You guys are funny.

I keep posting stats of how the NYY have been spending and this is what you respond with?

"You know it’s possible to invest in the farm AND spend money right? I can’t believe what I’m reading. Hal’s con worked!"

"Should have the pinstripes revoked tbh."

:)

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

LOL You guys are funny.

I keep posting stats of how the NYY have been spending and this is what you respond with?

"You know it’s possible to invest in the farm AND spend money right? I can’t believe what I’m reading. Hal’s con worked!"

"Should have the pinstripes revoked tbh."

:)

I shouldn’t have to explain basic statistical concepts to you.

Please...PLEASE explain to me how buying a 26 year old superstar precludes the Yankees from developing players in house.

Archived