Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
WindyCity

Rank the Current Free Agents

Recommended Posts

Another facet to consider is the potential quality of players that may take a slight discount to play on this defense. If Tru shores up the offense then this defense is going to get a TON of attention. That will make it a premier location for FAs who want to bet on themselves. Knowing we have a dominant pass rush only makes their job that much easier, and will let them really make an impact. That in turn would allow them to increase their value while we develop the long term replacement.

 

This is primarily meant for Lynch and Amos, I want to lock Callahan down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For all the Amos discussion, we’ve had a months worth of games now. How many noteworthy plays has he made this year? Can you remember a single one? I can’t. He’s not a good player. He just isn’t a bad one. There’s a big difference.

With the Mack and Goldman deals and our new offensive toys all on the books plus ascending or high performing players coming up on deals who actually are making impact plays we just simply can’t afford to give Amos a contract at the levels being discussed. If it’s losing Amos or any of a number of guys named or not named here who actually deserve to be paid market value (looking at Whitehair and Howard too) Amos is a distant last for me in the line for new money. Whitehair in particular is gonna get a huge bag of money. Ryan Jensen just got 4/$42M this offseason and Whitehair is as good or better. Reality is that we just aren’t gonna be able to keep everyone we want to keep. We’re gonna have to continue to hit on mid round picks to fill those positions where we don’t have core guys locked in. The good news is that in losing some of those guys we’re going to get comp picks for more swings in the draft at finding those guys.

The guy of the 3 mentioned most deserving of a market deal for what he’s done on the field is Callahan, but he still has to prove he can stay healthy for a whole season and plays a position where we are already paying 2 guys a combined $25M next year. Those things work against him, so really the guy of the three most likely IMO to be retained is Lynch. He has filled the role as a #3 edge rusher well but has shown to struggle with any role beyond that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless Amos starts creating takeaways I think he’s the odd man out. Callahan is a must sign IMO if he keeps up this level of play. To me Aaron Lynch is a classic example of a guy who would take less money to play for a coach and system he thrives in, on a playoff caliber team. 

My guess is Callahan and Lynch are resigned, Amos walks and is replaced by an experienced veteran/Deon Bush/3rd-4th round pick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

Unless Amos starts creating takeaways I think he’s the odd man out. Callahan is a must sign IMO if he keeps up this level of play. To me Aaron Lynch is a classic example of a guy who would take less money to play for a coach and system he thrives in, on a playoff caliber team. 

My guess is Callahan and Lynch are resigned, Amos walks and is replaced by an experienced veteran/Deon Bush/3rd-4th round pick

Yep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Tangent here:  I think I just figured out where most of the stupid takes and bad ideas come from.  

on 670's morning show, they're talking about how the Bears are a complete team, and then get off onto what positions the Bears would like next year. In this discussion about future offseasasons  they completely blow past RT, ignore possible need at SS if Amos can't contract, and get locked onto WR as a big need... what a silly take, it paraphrases as "well, the Bears clearly have Robinson, and Cohen, Gabriel, Burton, have all contributed, and it's possible you get something from White, and Wims has lots of promise, and Shaheen is coming back soon,  but after that WHAT IS THERE!?"

 

As if that "outside of some really good players, and and offense that uses other positions to catch balls, and some promising depth what do the Bears have" argument wasn't enough, it quickly turned into a whinge-fest about how the Bears gave up draft capital with Mack.

 

I swear, I think I just traced every meathead take to the source. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:
  • Tangent here:  I think I just figured out where most of the stupid takes and bad ideas come from.  

on 670's morning show, they're talking about how the Bears are a complete team, and then get off onto what positions the Bears would like next year. In this discussion about future offseasasons  they completely blow past RT, ignore possible need at SS if Amos can't contract, and get locked onto WR as a big need... what a silly take, it paraphrases as "well, the Bears clearly have Robinson, and Cohen, Gabriel, Burton, have all contributed, and it's possible you get something from White, and Wims has lots of promise, and Shaheen is coming back soon,  but after that WHAT IS THERE!?"

 

As if that "outside of some really good players, and and offense that uses other positions to catch balls, and some promising depth what do the Bears have" argument wasn't enough, it quickly turned into a whinge-fest about how the Bears gave up draft capital with Mack.

 

I swear, I think I just traced every meathead take to the source. 

I stopped listening to sports radio many moons ago. The only guys I’d consider are Waddle & Silvy (since Waddle played) and Carmen & Jurko (since Jurko played).

Guys like Mully, Kaplan, Haugh, etc are horrendous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:
  • Tangent here:  I think I just figured out where most of the stupid takes and bad ideas come from.  

on 670's morning show, they're talking about how the Bears are a complete team, and then get off onto what positions the Bears would like next year. In this discussion about future offseasasons  they completely blow past RT, ignore possible need at SS if Amos can't contract, and get locked onto WR as a big need... what a silly take, it paraphrases as "well, the Bears clearly have Robinson, and Cohen, Gabriel, Burton, have all contributed, and it's possible you get something from White, and Wims has lots of promise, and Shaheen is coming back soon,  but after that WHAT IS THERE!?"

 

As if that "outside of some really good players, and and offense that uses other positions to catch balls, and some promising depth what do the Bears have" argument wasn't enough, it quickly turned into a whinge-fest about how the Bears gave up draft capital with Mack.

 

I swear, I think I just traced every meathead take to the source. 

Not a fan of much of 670 talent.  ESPN isnt greatest either, but some of 670 is real bad.  I don't listen much anymore. One of last times I listened some 670 regular guy spent 20 mins ranting negatively about a McDonald's clerk blessing him after he sneezed and other host agreeing with him.  They hoped she would be disciplined or retrained or something. 

Amateurs doing podcasts are better than both of them if not as polished or well produced.  They are more interesting.   I listen to that mostly sportswise.

I used to love Jiggets and Bufone. Mike North was annoying and wrong, but entertaining. I don't know what they are doing anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:
  • Tangent here:  I think I just figured out where most of the stupid takes and bad ideas come from.  

on 670's morning show, they're talking about how the Bears are a complete team, and then get off onto what positions the Bears would like next year. In this discussion about future offseasasons  they completely blow past RT, ignore possible need at SS if Amos can't contract, and get locked onto WR as a big need... what a silly take, it paraphrases as "well, the Bears clearly have Robinson, and Cohen, Gabriel, Burton, have all contributed, and it's possible you get something from White, and Wims has lots of promise, and Shaheen is coming back soon,  but after that WHAT IS THERE!?"

 

As if that "outside of some really good players, and and offense that uses other positions to catch balls, and some promising depth what do the Bears have" argument wasn't enough, it quickly turned into a whinge-fest about how the Bears gave up draft capital with Mack.

 

I swear, I think I just traced every meathead take to the source. 

Mully is a ******* moron. I feel stupider listening to him in the morning.

To their point, this does seem like the roster that Pace wants to compete with moving forward. What they ignored is that the needs we do have (IMO) can be addressed in rounds 3-7. RT, OG, RB, DB, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

The only guys I’d consider are Waddle & Silvy

Love Waddle and Silvy. Met them both, good dudes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Amos and Howard aren't reading this thread.  

I think you need a back like Howard when weather turns and to close games.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I hope Amos and Howard aren't reading this thread.  

I think you need a back like Howard when weather turns and to close games.  

 

 

I do too but I just don't feel like this power blocking scheme suits Howard. He has been elite, IMO, in a zone blocking system. Love his vision to find cutback lanes and his patience to let his blocks develop.

Maybe he just needs more reps in this scheme? I don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, G08 said:

I do too but I just don't feel like this power blocking scheme suits Howard. He has been elite, IMO, in a zone blocking system. Love his vision to find cutback lanes and his patience to let his blocks develop.

Maybe he just needs more reps in this scheme? I don't know.

I think part of the issue that Howard is having thus far is that a lot of the stretch runs on which he has excelled in the past have been going to Cohen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howard through 4 games last year: 63/252/4.0   4 TDs    10 rec 50 yds

Howard through 4 games this year: 64/203/3.17   1 TD    10 rec 78 yds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, G08 said:

Howard through 4 games last year: 63/252/4.0   4 TDs    10 rec 50 yds

Howard through 4 games this year: 64/203/3.17   1 TD    10 rec 78 yds

And really if you look at the game logs it was 3 **** games and one good one last year too, with the difference being the good game last year (PIT week 3) was bigger than this year (week 1), with the difference really only being volume of carries in that game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@AZBearsFan I really want to see him succeed (not only because he's on my fantasy team) but I truly am worried this power blocking scheme is not for him. I hope he picks up on it quickly, because he's been running behind zone blocking since college.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×