The 3 RB's

Golfman

52 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Williams or Montgomery or Jones? They all bring different elements to the party, but here is one opinion from NFL.com. I'll just leave this right here and let everyone have at it. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000969809/article/rb-index-week-5-five-running-backs-who-merit-more-touches

Though I think he could handle 20-25 touches (McCoy, Freeman, Hunt, Gordon, Ingram, Gore, etc are all close to Jone's 208 lbs) I  think that might be a lil extreme.  

I'd like to see a higher snap count (65ish%) with 17-20 touches a game.  He's too dynamic to be getting the same number of touches as Jamaal Williams who this year has been just as likely to run the ball for 2 or fewer yards than he is to run for 3 or more.  He's the NFL's least explosive RB who hasn't made tackler miss all year.  He should have a roll, that roll shouldn't be a 3 down starter. 

This offense has scored only 1 TD in a drive in which Williams was the RB getting the touches.  Jones has played in half as many games and has participated in 2 such drives (Monty has a couple as well).  While not all Williams fault, his ineffectiveness hurts this offense.

On Sunday, we seen McCarthy go back to back runs of Williams on second and 10 and then Third and 11 right on the edge of scoring position. The result was another wasted run and a punt.  

Just my 2 cents but IMO a better, more consistent rushing attack that teams are forced to respect will help this offense.

Is there another team in the league who has their best RB splitting carries equally with their short yardage plodder?  Not exactly the Alvin Kamara/ Mark Ingram split considering the significant gap between Williams and Ingram.  

28 minutes ago, SSG said:

Is there another team in the league who has their best RB splitting carries equally with their short yardage plodder?  Not exactly the Alvin Kamara/ Mark Ingram split considering the significant gap between Williams and Ingram.  

Detroit has been forcing carries to Blount when he's been pretty bad and they have a young RB Johnson who has been running well.

1 minute ago, Stevein2012 said:

Detroit has been forcing carries to Blount when he's been pretty bad and they have a young RB Johnson who has been running well.

Miami and Frank Gore?  Drake hasn't been impressive but he was last year.

Chris Henry and Dion Lewis?

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

Miami and Frank Gore?  Drake hasn't been impressive but he was last year.

Derrick Henry and Dion Lewis?

Fixed.

Derrick Henry has been an incredible disappointment this season, but I can't help but think his coordinator has everything to do with that.

11 hours ago, SSG said:

Though I think he could handle 20-25 touches (McCoy, Freeman, Hunt, Gordon, Ingram, Gore, etc are all close to Jone's 208 lbs) I  think that might be a lil extreme.  

I'd like to see a higher snap count (65ish%) with 17-20 touches a game.  He's too dynamic to be getting the same number of touches as Jamaal Williams who this year has been just as likely to run the ball for 2 or fewer yards than he is to run for 3 or more.  He's the NFL's least explosive RB who hasn't made tackler miss all year.  He should have a roll, that roll shouldn't be a 3 down starter. 

This offense has scored only 1 TD in a drive in which Williams was the RB getting the touches.  Jones has played in half as many games and has participated in 2 such drives (Monty has a couple as well).  While not all Williams fault, his ineffectiveness hurts this offense.

On Sunday, we seen McCarthy go back to back runs of Williams on second and 10 and then Third and 11 right on the edge of scoring position. The result was another wasted run and a punt.  

Just my 2 cents but IMO a better, more consistent rushing attack that teams are forced to respect will help this offense.

Now go watch the blocking on the 2nd and 10 and 3rd and 11 plays you're referencing. 

An unblocked LB in the hole on 2nd down and Bell getting beat across his face into the hole on 3rd down. Maybe a great RB trusts his speed and can get to the outside to get 5 or 6 which may have gotten you into range to try a questionable field goal on that 3rd down. But even that's questionable.

The only reason we're excited for Jones right now is he had that 30 yard run. If Kendricks misses the block on Edmunds and he gets cut down in the hole, nobody's upset right now.

If Kendricks didn't screw up the block on Edmunds on Williams' 11 yard run, that would have been a 30 yard run.

There's a difference in ability being prescribed to these players that is far more significant than it actually is. 

And I'm not even saying that Jones isn't a better runner than Williams, he is. He made two great plays to make his own yardage against the Bills, but we're talking 17 yards.

50 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The only reason we're excited for Jones right now is he had that 30 yard run. If Kendricks misses the block on Edmunds and he gets cut down in the hole, nobody's upset right now.

I don't disagree with your takes on Williams/Jones in general but I think you are underselling Jones' ability quite a bit. I also think MM should be saving Jones for later in the year. I don't really have a disagreement with usage to date but if you are only excited for Aaron Jones because of that 30 yard run, I couldn't disagree more. Jones is miles better as a pure runner and the numbers pretty much equate to that. Everyone has known that Jones has the potential to be a star at RB in this offense going back to last season and I don't think Kendricks potentially missing a block would change that. 

On the play below Williams is probably tripped up around the 20 - Jones gains an extra 7 yards. How many RBs have you seen with this sort of balance?

This play is probably a loss with the  battering ram Williams, if anything it's a short gain. This is an elite mesh of jump cut ability and vision, few RBs in the league can make this play. 

7 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

I don't disagree with your takes on Williams/Jones in general but I think you are underselling Jones' ability quite a bit. I also think MM should be saving Jones for later in the year. I don't really have a disagreement with usage to date but if you are only excited for Aaron Jones because of that 30 yard run, I couldn't disagree more. Jones is miles better as a pure runner and the numbers pretty much equate to that. Everyone has knows that Jones has the potential to be a star at RB in this offense going back to last season and I don't think Kendricks potentially missing a block would change that. 

On the play below Williams is probably tripped up around the 20 - Jones gains an extra 7 yards. How many RBs have you seen with this sort of balance?

This play is probably a loss with the  battering ram Williams, if anything it's a short gain. This is an elite mesh of jump cut ability and vision, few RBs in the league can make this play. 

I think Jones is a real nice runner, not an elite guy, but probably a tier below it. 

I think Williams is a decent runner, probably a hair short of league average at that spot. 

My question is, realistically what's the difference per game? 25 yards in the run game? 

If there's one sack that Williams prevents with his blocking advantage over Jones, you're making that up. 

They both have a role. Jones isn't a superstar, Williams isn't a scrub. I'm glad to have both. Their skillets are complimentary.

28 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think Jones is a real nice runner, not an elite guy, but probably a tier below it. 

I think Williams is a decent runner, probably a hair short of league average at that spot. 

My question is, realistically what's the difference per game? 25 yards in the run game? 

If there's one sack that Williams prevents with his blocking advantage over Jones, you're making that up. 

They both have a role. Jones isn't a superstar, Williams isn't a scrub. I'm glad to have both. Their skillets are complimentary.

If all things are equal - blocking and rushing attempts - Jones outgaining Williams by 25 yards is fairly significant. By every metric/stat Jones has been a top tier running back going back to last year. I don't see why you couldn't shift 3-5 of those Williams touches to Jones. When has RB protection ever outweighed getting the ball in the hands of dynamic playmakers? The difference between Jones' running ability to Williams' is greater than the difference of Williams' protection to Jones'. 

This was last week's breakdown:

Aaron Jones: 12 touches 82 yards

Ty Montgomery: 7 touches 84 yards

Jamaal Williams: 11 touches 27 yards

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Their skillets are complimentary.

Great Job Jamaal!  You too Aaron! h/t incog

the reason people are excited by Jones is how he played last week and last year.  Dallas, New Orleans.Tampa Bay.

Once we start to feature Jones' dynamic receiving ability, you'll come around.

Archived