Nostalgic/Throwback games chat thread

TecmoSuperJoe

On 8/30/2024 at 10:37 AM, 7DnBrnc53 said:

That scheme may have had something to do with the Oilers not making the Super Bowl in those days. You have to be able to control the clock in January, and in the playoffs, they usually failed to do so. 

I think a limited passing game was it more than anything. The Oilers offense was Campbell. The D was good, but not quite elite enough to carry that O. Without Campbell, I doubt those teams would have even had a winning record. 

As for old great games, two come to mind:

Dolphins vs Bears 1985: Dolphins upend the Bears for the Bears' only loss of the season in a wild game that just wasn't the Bears' night. Everyone expected them to meet in the SB, but the upstart Pats beat the Dolphins, somehow, and to no one's surprise got slaughtered in the SB. 

Colts vs Patriots 1978: Everyone expected a lost season for the Colts when star QB Bert Jones went down, but even the most dire predictions didn't expect them to be routed the first two games 1978 by scoring zero points. Then this happened (remove the spaces after the h). Greatest one-man MNF performance ever IMO, esp given all the circumstances.

h  ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6_GEkLDNiE

3 minutes ago, bomont said:

I think a limited passing game was it more than anything. The Oilers offense was Campbell. The D was good, but not quite elite enough to carry that O. Without Campbell, I doubt those teams would have even had a winning record. 

I was referring to the early-90's Run & Shoot Oilers. They didn't run it enough in January. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...