Stock Investing

rickyt31

2 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

That's a lot of money to lose. I'd be careful

I'm not doing it all at once.  Probably a few hundred at a time. 

I like using my Stash account for large purchases of 500-1000.  That's where I buy more expensive stocks. 
I like using Robinhood to buy cheaper stocks under 100 per share as well as taking flyers on a bunch of penny stocks. 
Then I have a retirement mutual fund through my work that I don't even look at.  I just put in the full 5% my company will match and forget it.

What I like about Stash is that I can buy more expensive stocks or pick a niche area.  For example, I have some Tesla, Apple, etc shares as well as one for both Google (Alphabet inc or whatever) and Amazon.  Outside of those I can also get some treasury bonds from short-term, medium-term to long-term.  Also gold, or I can just invest by type and they'll do the rest for me.  Most of my Stash account is in what they call Delicious Dividends, which focuses on companies that typically pay out the most dividends, which I can set up to just put right back into it.  That's the one I've taken the biggest hit on with all this, but I'm not going to stress being down 5.54% return when before all this hit I was up an insane 25% return.  Some of their other options are Fallback Funds, Long Haul Bonds, Inflation Defense, Gamers FTW!, Rate Hike Refuge, Bond, Junk Bond, Long-Term Mix, Conservative Mix, Moderate Mix, Aggressive Mix, Small but Mighty (focusing on small business, which unsurprisingly took a 29.88% hit through all this), Defending America...

You can also search companies by type (Finance/Retail/Tech/Utilities/Materials/Health Care/Media/Real Estate/Energy/Consumer Staples/Industrials) or ETFs by type (Broad Market, Missions and Causes, Technology and Innovation, Bonds, Goods and Services, Commodities, Global Exposure, Alpha Seekers, Diversified Mixes, Thematic...)

On Robinhood I like to buy 20-100 shares at a time of some of the penny stocks. 

Acorda Therapeutics, QEP Resources, J.C. Penney (lol it could come back), Oasis Petroleum, Noble Energy, Ring Energy, Ford, Amarin, Pinterest and Chesapeake Energy are some 50 cent to 12 dollar stocks I bought last night that went through at 9 AM today.  I also have some Denbury, Fitbit, Aurora Cannabis, Vivint Solar, 22nd Century Group, Roku, Nokia, Zynga, Aphria, BOTZ, Catalyst Pharmaceuticals and more stocks on there. 

Yesterday I tried investing only in stocks on Robinhood that took the largest hit through all this.  I spent only 100 in case right now isn't the best time to invest, but I'm going to keep going probably 100-500 at a time. 

I was thinking about buying some more Cryptocurrency, but I hate that crap.  It's so volatile that I can't even keep up with it or make any sense of it.

Also, if anyone wants to get started on any of this and wing it like I do, let me know and I can get us both a free stock on Robinhood. 

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 2

Just now, Calvert28 said:

If your looking for high risk returns I would stick to Bitcoin in that regard. It's almost back up to to double of what anyone put in at 3800 where it hit a few days ago. 

Lol, look right above this.  I do not trust crypto whatsoever.  I got into that game, got out with 2,000 in profit, I still have 2,000 invested in it and I'm leaving it TF alone outside of that.  I'm on house money in cryptocurrency and unless Bitcoin crashes down to about 2,000 a share I'm not touching it.  If/when it drops way down, I MIGHT buy 100 Stellar Lumens, XRP, 0X and MAYBE another Litecoin, but beyond that I'm not getting back into crypto. 

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol, look right above this.  I do not trust crypto whatsoever.  I got into that game, got out with 2,000 in profit, I still have 2,000 invested in it and I'm leaving it TF alone outside of that.  I'm on house money in cryptocurrency and unless Bitcoin crashes down to about 2,000 a share I'm not touching it.  If/when it drops way down, I MIGHT buy 100 Stellar Lumens, XRP, 0X and MAYBE another Litecoin, but beyond that I'm not getting back into crypto. 

Keep some money ready then. 

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

Keep some money ready then. 

Yep, I’m going to keep about 8,000 in savings for this very reason.  5,000 emergency savings and if Bitcoin drops below 2,000 I’m planning on buying a full bitcoin and 1,000 worth of Litecoin, Ethereum and the penny coins.

3 hours ago, mistakey said:

Oh so were not 5%off the bottom anymore? Huh 

At this point, I think the biggest danger is overreaction by the state and federal government due to pressure from idiots who are surprised to see the #'s going up.  CA lockdown seems draconian especially if they are expecting to keep it in place more than 2-3 weeks.  If that becomes a trend it could deepen and lengthen this recession.

There will be millions of cases and at least 10s of thousands of deaths if not more.  That should not be surprising to anyone and should not be influencing decision making at this point.  Its unavoidable. 

I still think we are close to the bottom but who knows.  Public officials have failed us before and may not be making the most rational decisions over the next few weeks.  No matter what, we are going to be on an upswing by May or June IMO.  The question is just... do we come back in 3-6 months, or do we come back in 3-6 years? 

1 hour ago, mission27 said:

At this point, I think the biggest danger is overreaction by the state and federal government due to pressure from idiots who are surprised to see the #'s going up.  CA lockdown seems draconian especially if they are expecting to keep it in place more than 2-3 weeks.  If that becomes a trend it could deepen and lengthen this recession.

There will be millions of cases and at least 10s of thousands of deaths if not more.  That should not be surprising to anyone and should not be influencing decision making at this point.  Its unavoidable. 

I still think we are close to the bottom but who knows.  Public officials have failed us before and may not be making the most rational decisions over the next few weeks.  No matter what, we are going to be on an upswing by May or June IMO.  The question is just... do we come back in 3-6 months, or do we come back in 3-6 years? 

oookk

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Yep, I’m going to keep about 8,000 in savings for this very reason.  5,000 emergency savings and if Bitcoin drops below 2,000 I’m planning on buying a full bitcoin and 1,000 worth of Litecoin, Ethereum and the penny coins.

KEEP YOUR CASH
youll thank me later

• Like 1

Just now, mistakey said:

KEEP YOUR CASH
youll thank me later

I'll monitor it closely.  I don't regret any purchase I made last night/this morning.  Won't be dumping thousands into it at a time, but I'm not going to worry if I buy now instead of a 15-24% dip that's going to go up significantly more than that within the 19 years that I plan to retire in. 

Edit: Just realized you quoted my Bitcoin post.  I like to say I'll do it, but I haven't done a thing to what I've got in crypto for three years now, and I likely won't touch it again. 

Edited by Outpost31

11 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I'll monitor it closely.  I don't regret any purchase I made last night/this morning.  Won't be dumping thousands into it at a time, but I'm not going to worry if I buy now instead of a 15-24% dip that's going to go up significantly more than that within the 19 years that I plan to retire in. 

Edit: Just realized you quoted my Bitcoin post.  I like to say I'll do it, but I haven't done a thing to what I've got in crypto for three years now, and I likely won't touch it again. 

Im tlakin about anything

just tryin to save you money for the inevitable depression.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Im tlakin about anything

This. Anyone that possibly can should keep at least 6 months of typical income on hand in cash. Things could get bad. The layoffs and bankruptcies will be unprecedented. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Im tlakin about anything

18 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

This. Anyone that possibly can should keep at least 6 months of typical income on hand in cash. Things could get bad. The layoffs and bankruptcies will be unprecedented. 

Same.  I'm holding all investing for now, even my rothIRA.  Stock piling cash as fast as i can.  The money i was going to put in investments can always go back to investments when things improve.

You may think your job is secure, and maybe it is.  But you have no way to know if your company is.  Companies go belly up all the time for various reasons, and economic situations like this only make it happen faster.

The company i work for, i would consider fairly recession proof.  We work in all sorts of industries that always continue produce no matter what is going on in the economy.  They're starting layoffs next week, and are already talking about more layoffs a few weeks after that if the first cut isn't deep enough.  

Keep your cash.

Well I'm not selling.  I don't think it's going to get as bad as a lot of people think it will.  I think the worst of crashing is over and I don't think people will re-panic unless the deceased start coming back to life.  I don't feel nervous about what I bought the other day.  I bought extremely low-priced stock, the most expensive of which was Pinterest, and most of it oil/energy.  130 shares, 100 dollars. 

I might not be close to the bottom, but I've got 19 years. 

My job is secure.  Hospitality will probably take a significant hit going forward, but my hotel is independently owned.  I've been told that no matter what happens I'm going to be a part of their plan moving forward.  Whether that's at the hotel or something else, I'm in a good spot. 

I'm going to keep taking stabs.  We'll see how it looks in a year 5 years, 10, 20.  If it's not up, you were right and I'll be alright. 

51 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Well I'm not selling.  I don't think it's going to get as bad as a lot of people think it will.  I think the worst of crashing is over and I don't think people will re-panic unless the deceased start coming back to life.  I don't feel nervous about what I bought the other day.  I bought extremely low-priced stock, the most expensive of which was Pinterest, and most of it oil/energy.  130 shares, 100 dollars. 

I might not be close to the bottom, but I've got 19 years. 

My job is secure.  Hospitality will probably take a significant hit going forward, but my hotel is independently owned.  I've been told that no matter what happens I'm going to be a part of their plan moving forward.  Whether that's at the hotel or something else, I'm in a good spot. 

I'm going to keep taking stabs.  We'll see how it looks in a year 5 years, 10, 20.  If it's not up, you were right and I'll be alright. 

no
if i invest in a year and make 5x the money you did just cause i waited with my cash, i'll still be right even if youre up

37 minutes ago, mistakey said:

no
if i invest in a year and make 5x the money you did just cause i waited with my cash, i'll still be right even if youre up

Yeah congratulations.  

Edit: But contentions and jokes aside, you’re probably right.  I’ll hold back a bit.

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 1