Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

23 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

This is pretty much my fundamental argument. Even if you think Mariota struggles to read a defense, or gets caught watching a  pass rush, the worst thing you can do is bunch everyone up and have receivers in the same spot. It makes every read more difficult and opens up a variety of potential pass rushes that need to be factored in. It plays directly into those weaknesses.

You watch us run two deep crossers straight into each other 25 yards downfield, and the reaction is that Marcus missed an opportunity. But playcalling 101 would pair the crosser with a vertical route to draw the outside corner and hopefully the safety away from the primary read and open up the middle and outside of the field. It makes the read and throw so much more difficult when your receiver, who has a trailing corner behind him, is running straight at the other corner. It’s just fundamentally stupid play design, particularly if your concern is the QB’s anticipation.

Speaking of views and routes.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Mariota attempted 1 pass over 16 yards against the Colts. There was no downfield passing. I think like a third of them were at or behind the LOS.

tenor.gif?itemid=5737032

that said, we've been running way too many long-developing route concepts going back to last year. rarely it's 3 steps and the ball's out (obviously part of that's on Mariota, but it's clearly not an intention of the offense)

They also were talking about analytics and I think we mentioned it before. 

But when we run on first down so often we are making out chances for 3 and out so much greater. 

I think the stat this year is out of 9 3and outs Derrick has run the ball in 6 of them. 

To be so run based we aren't consistently winning running the ball which makes for the 3rd and longs which around the league points to a low chance of offensive success. 

38 minutes ago, Justin615$ said:

Davis was our #5 overall pick.... lol

Just think about that

Blake Beddingfield former scout thinks Corey is more of a #2 or 1b to someone's 1a. 
And that we need to get the fact he was #5 out of our head.  None of those WRs were top 10 guys (Davis, Williams and Ross) but they are talented and were taken where they were taken. 

Good but needs some relief from another guy. Maybe Brown can be that kind of guy?