Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

16 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

If last night showed me anything, it’s that a lot of the problems Mariota has (certainly not all, and he certainly has plenty of problems) can still be fixed in an offense that fits his skill set.

The dropping of his eyes and hesitancy to throw the ball more than 10 yards stopped once we went shotgun with our three best receivers on the field. He was willing to take shots into tight windows. Even the misses (thinking of the short throw to Humphries, underneath route to CD and back shoulder to AJ) were, at the very least, the right reads.

He can be a competent, solid NFL quarterback when we play to his strengths. But he’s not a transcendent talent. He won’t have success in every system. And if the offense of the first 2.5 games is the way we want to play, yeah, we might as well bench him. Because playing a system that makes your quarterback uncomfortable and hesitant does nobody any favors..

My biggest fear is that he leaves and plays on a team/coach/system that fits his skillset *ahem Chicago* and proceeds to turn his career around, while we remain in QB purgatory

6 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Im not really afraid of him leaving and being successful. I think he could at some point be a game manager or a good backup, but he's not going to leave and light it up and all the sudden be someone he never was here.

He had 45 TDs, 19 INTs while averaging 7.6 yards per attempt with terrible receivers his first two years. He doesn’t need to be someone he never was here, he just needs someone to undo the damage we’ve worked so hard to do to him. And frankly, I don’t think that will be too tough. It’s mostly just putting him into a modern NFL offense and letting him operate in space.

10 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

For me, it’s not even about defending Marcus anymore. He obviously has flaws in his game. We’re now at the point where I just have real, real anger about the way we’ve actively sabotaged our best chance at having a real QB since McNair.

I've been saying it for a week

We used Dion Lewis in 3rd and 1s with Henry on the bench

We ran screens with Eric Decker

We use Adam Humphries to block

We don't consistently try to get Corey the ball

Why would we handle our QB's skillset in the way to best utilize it?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I've been saying it for a week

We used Dion Lewis in 3rd and 1s with Henry on the bench

We ran screens with Eric Decker

We use Adam Humphries to block

We don't consistently try to get Corey the ball

Why would we handle our QB's skillset in the way to best utilize it?

🗣 coaching staff is incompetent 

9 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

For me, it’s not even about defending Marcus anymore. He obviously has flaws in his game. We’re now at the point where I just have real, real anger about the way we’ve actively sabotaged our best chance at having a real QB since McNair.

This too. 
Lamar Jackson is a great example. He may flame out in a year or two after NFL defenses catch up to him. But as of now, they have built an offense that will allow him to make plays in the league and allow his playmakers to do what they need.

We are basically the same team from 1999. Derrick Mason said it on the radio this morning and I've been saying it for the last week too. 
You could put these same players on offense in the same offense we ran in 1999 and it would look exactly the same. 

We can blame Marcus all day. And I understand it.
But this offense is a travesty. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

This too. 
Lamar Jackson is a great example. He may flame out in a year or two after NFL defenses catch up to him. But as of now, they have built an offense that will allow him to make plays in the league and allow his playmakers to do what they need.

We are basically the same team from 1999. Derrick Mason said it on the radio this morning and I've been saying it for the last week too. 
You could put these same players on offense in the same offense we ran in 1999 and it would look exactly the same. 

If we were putting Marcus in a position to succeed and he was crapping the bed, then yeah...it's time for 17.

But we're not putting him in position to succeed and haven't. Marcus isn't going to transcend poor OL and receiver play. We know his limit in that sense. But RT sure as hell isn't, either. So you gotta keep riding Mariota.

4 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

This too. 

The Ravens are the perfect example. They’ve completely built that offense around Lamar. But even beyond the system, they then, knowing that teams don’t fear Lamar as a passer and would load the box, went and spent a first on an explosive receiver that would punish teams for bringing the safeties down.

It is as simple as seeing that they had a plan and they built for that plan. Meanwhile, we have no plan. Our strategy changes every year, never built for our personnel, just a constant state of flux.

1 hour ago, TitanSlim said:

My biggest fear is that he leaves and plays on a team/coach/system that fits his skillset *ahem Chicago* and proceeds to turn his career around, while we remain in QB purgatory

That would make a ton of sense if Trubisky continues to show stalled development.

• Like 1

Just now, deeluxx3 said:

If we were putting Marcus in a position to succeed and he was crapping the bed, then yeah...it's time for 17.

But we're not putting him in position to succeed and haven't. Marcus isn't going to transcend poor OL and receiver play. We know his limit in that sense. But RT sure as hell isn't, either. So you gotta keep riding Mariota.

And this is what I'm saying. If Marcus was getting 7 seconds to throw. WRs in position to make plays. Beautiful play calls and coaching and he was throwing pick 6 like Schuab was that season, then yes easy to pinpoint him as the problem. 

But looking at the whole picture it is more than just QB play. Tannehill isn't a transcending talent. He was in the same exact situations in Miami and was Marcus. An up and down player.

I'm trying to win now. The QBs we have now need help from their coaches and Offensive line. Not Jennings run go routes with MyCole Pruitt trying to win an 1on1 with Ramsey and a linebacker, while Douglass tries to block Campbell one on one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

That would make a ton of sense if Trubisky continues to show stalled development.

Former OC is there. I can see him going there next year as a back up at least and take Trubisky's spot while he continues to struggle. 
And then ride on to the Super Bowl with that defense and those weapons.