Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

I think this is Marcus Mariota's last year in the NFL. Not that I don't think anyone will try to sign him, but I think he retires.

I'm not questioning his effort, because I think he's given 100%, but I do think he's someone who understands life isn't all about football and I think he knows he's in his own head right now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I think this is Marcus Mariota's last year in the NFL. Not that I don't think anyone will try to sign him, but I think he retires.

I'm not questioning his effort, because I think he's given 100%, but I do think he's someone who understands life isn't all about football and I think he knows he's in his own head right now.

You know, this is on my list of things I'd like to see happen. 
1. Him being so terrible, it leaves no doubt that he should be gone.
2. Him being so good that he will no doubt be the guy.
3. Him walking away from football, so I don't have to see him in another uniform and likely succeed.

I hate the room for debate. I want him to make the decision clear and obvious. I don't think it is clear and obvious, even if a lot are done. He has shown enough to warrant more optimism but hasn't shown enough to warrant unquestioned support and backing.

But I don't think he retires. I think he actually loves football. I wouldn't confuse his leash on life as a lack of wanting to play football. I think the challenge of trying to get out of this funk would drive him, wherever he plays. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

3. Him walking away from football, so I don't have to see him in another uniform and likely succeed.

I hate the room for debate. I want him to make the decision clear and obvious. I don't think it is clear and obvious, even if a lot are done. He has shown enough to warrant more optimism but hasn't shown enough to warrant unquestioned support and backing.

But I don't think he retires. I think he actually loves football. I wouldn't confuse his leash on life as a lack of wanting to play football. I think the challenge of trying to get out of this funk would drive him, wherever he plays. 

Marcus's two biggest issues for me are mental

1. Not a confident thrower of the football right now

2. Doesn't consistently have a killer instinct

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Marcus's two biggest issues for me are mental

1. Not a confident thrower of the football right now

2. Doesn't consistently have a killer instinct

98% mental and I think the other 2% is physical. Something feels off in how he delivers the ball. It sails more and is off target more.

I think Cossell and others would say he is a thrower and not a passer. 

He has the yips.

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

eh, idk. he probably does know he's in his own head but he's also a competitor and i don't think his response would be to just hang em up.

37 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

98% mental and I think the other 2% is physical. Something feels off in how he delivers the ball. It sails more and is off target more.

I think Cossell and others would say he is a thrower and not a passer. 

He has the yips.

I am not a QB coach, but everyone rips his footwork.

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

He doesn't need to play any worse to leave no doubt that he should be gone. In fact, that's no longer the question. The question surrounding Mariota isn't "Should he be here next year?". The question is "How long is he allowed to play like this until we bench him for Tannehill?". The media was right, but for the wrong reasons.

We've had excuses for him in the past. If any of those excuses were more than just excuses, there would be a noticeable difference when they were removed, however, Mariota is just as bad healthy as he is injured. He's just as bad with talented weapons around him as he is with Rishard Matthews and an aging Demarco Murray. He's just as bad with Vrabel as he was with Mularkey. All of those were just excuses that we all used so that we could have hope.

Mariota's good moments are far too seldom to outweigh the bad ones. He has shown he can have some good moments but they are now the rare occasion and far from showing enough to warrant more optimism. The decision is made for everyone but a small percentage of people in Tennessee at this point.

Edited by TitanSS

1 minute ago, TitanSS said:

He doesn't need to play any worse to leave no doubt that he should be gone. In fact, that's no longer the question. The question surrounding Mariota isn't "Should he be here next year?". The question is how long is he allowed to play like this until we bench him for Tannehill. The media was right, but for the wrong reasons.

We've had excuses for him in the past. If any of those excuses were more than just excuses, there would be a noticeable difference when they were removed, however, Mariota is just as bad healthy as he is injured. He's just as bad with talented weapons around him as he is with Rishard Matthews and an aging Demarco Murray. All of those were just excuses that we all used so that we could have hope.

Mariota's good moments are far too seldom to outweigh the bad ones. The decision is made for everyone but a small percentage of people in Tennessee at this point.

I don't agree. But we've been there.

9 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

All you have to do is pause it at the 6 second mark, the rams run a similar play with Goff it’s a 2 read play, Marcus just eyes Delanie the whole time & Fire into triple coverage 

A better angle is need to be sure... but of the 3 guys who were on Delanie by the time CD comes on the screen, at least one would have been hovering over CD, waiting to make a break on a pass to him.  I may be wrong... but a better angle is needed... especially to see what the 3 guys on Delanie when the ball got there, were doing prior to the pass. 

Edited by ragevsuall17

4 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I think this is a good read.

That article is spot on...  [I'm just going to piggy back on what this guy shared...]

Marcus was going to have a bad game this year. Every quarterback in the league has them, and many of them have already had one.  If you claim to be done with him after yesterday, you were already done with him.  You were just waiting for one performance to justify your opinion.  I understand the last straw argument, but every quarterback would have failed you with that mindset, because every quarterback has bad games in the NFL. Even the elite ones. His “last straw” was always going to come, and you probably knew that... [At this point, there's really no point in arguing this back and forth]

... It creates a situation where the overreactive Twitter world chooses a side that doesn’t really exist.  Mariota wasn’t great yesterday.  The coaches weren’t great yesterday. If you support Mariota, it’s ok to admit that he was at fault.  If you are ready to move on from him, it’s ok to say that he wasn’t the sole reason for the loss... [It's ok to share the blame.  I don't think a single person has said Mariota had a good game Sunday... but he wasn't alone... far from it.]

... So far this season, Mariota has thrown for 402 yards with 4 touchdowns and 0 interceptions with a 63 percent completion percentage.  Those stats don’t tell the whole story.  He’s missed open guys and held the ball too long multiple times this year.  He has to be better in that aspect.  What’s frustrating is the cherry picking.  If his touchdown to interception ratio mattered to you last year, then it should matter to you this year... [Some of those numbers won't hold up, and some will improve, but he's on track to have a career year, with a 112.8 QB Rating... that's there with the yearly leaders for the past 10 seasons.  His sack rate though... is the worst of his career... not only is he leading the league in sack yards so far this season... only Watson has a higher sack %]

... Mariota has put himself into the situation of being hyper-critiqued.  Going into the last year on his contract all eyes are on him, and that’s understandable.  When we dissect every single one of his plays, though, faults and confirmations will be found... It’s the nature of the game.  Quarterbacks make bad decisions sometimes.  If you’re looking for them, you’ll find them.  In all 32 NFL cities...

... If you want Marcus Mariota to be Pat Mahomes, Tom Brady, or Drew Brees, you’re never going to see that.  He’s not those guys and probably won’t ever be.  If that’s what you’re looking for, then you should be out him, but don’t think you’re going to magically find the answer in the draft.  It’s far more likely you’ll find the opposite... I’m not saying settle for mediocrity.  Choose whether having a chance to win every year is good enough.  If it’s not, then the risk in finding an elite guy is may be worth it.  But the risk/reward is an honest assessment that fans must make... [I know some have made that argument... or comparison... to what we've had here post McNair... Young, Collins, Hass, Locker, Fitz, and Mettenberger... we've tried the draft, from 3rd to 8th to middle rounders... and we've tried vets... Mariota is by far the best we've had post McNair... may not say much... but it shows how hard it is to find QBs in this league]

... Marcus wasn’t good in the two-minute yesterday.  He shouldn’t have spiked the ball with 15 seconds left, but his two minute has been one of the best aspects of the game for the better part of five years. Saying “he shouldn’t be making those mistakes in year five.” Is pointing to an anomaly and not the rule and is a dishonest assessment of his operation in the two minute drill... [I think most have focused on the missed reads or lack of decisiveness... as far as where he hasn't improved in 5 seasons... the spike, if it was his decision, was horrible, but definitely an outlier as far as his clutchness is concerned.  Just last year, we talked about how good he was in that 2 minute drill... his comeback wins, etc.  I think this guy is a little misguided with this point... since the frustration I've seen lays mostly at the stuff I mentioned above, and not so much the choking at the end]

• Like 3

i think expecting marcus to get this ball to davis under that kind of pressure is a little harsh, BUT he had more than enough time to dump it off to a wide open delanie walker and instead he folded like a lawn chair. i really don't want to hear any more nonsense about running an archaic offense when we have multiple examples per game of guys running wide open and marcus straight up failing to get them the ball.

• Like 1