Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

6 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

What about the plays he makes to give us a chance that are easily forgotten...

The run for first down flipping over the defender... sacrificing himself for the team... only for the play to be brought back on a bogus holding call.

What about eluding the rush, finding the right guy at the sticks to keep a drive alive... only to have said guy come back and lose 2 yards and the 1st down...

Its these types of plays typically go unmentioned.  And he'll take the brunt of the criticism for not leading us to a victory... it comes with the territory.  But this was a team loss... from the coaching to the QB to the line play to missing sacks and giving up the long run at the end of the game.  There were lapses at all levels... and that typically falls on the coaching.  They did such a great job last week... not so much this week. 

People post about him thinking he needs to make the perfect play every time... and why he takes the sacks he takes from time to time... and maybe that holds a lot more truth than we know... he's been trained to react that way.  Compared to other QB's, how often does someone made a play for him?  It's just what he's know the first 4 years of his career.

I don't disagree at all. I jumped out of my seat on that first down flip...I loved it!! I love Mariota, man. I freaking love that dude and the plays he makes.

But I just think he's broken. I think this team is broken, too, and don't think starting Tannehill would make a difference. We should've won the game yesterday and, if we played confident and physical football, we would have. But we don't want to be a confident and physical team, we just want to talk about it. Mariota is a victim of this terrible franchise, unfortunately, and just hasn't been able to transcend all the BS. Not his fault...most guys are transcendental. But if we're going to be this joke of a Jekkyl & Hyde team, the last person we need to be inconsistent is our QB.

25 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

He's locking into one receiver and if he doesn't get open taking a sack in year 5. He has mentally gotten worse each season.

Is this every play... or just on quick reads like the final play?  I know his TD to Quessenberry, Q was his 3rd option.  He looked at the flat (was it Bates who ran that flat from the FB postion).. then progressed to Jonnu... before finally finding Q open in the middle... (progression was left to right). 

1 minute ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Is this every play... or just on quick reads like the final play?  I know his TD to Quessenberry, Q was his 3rd option.  He looked at the flat (was it Bates who ran that flat from the FB postion).. then progressed to Jonnu... before finally finding Q open in the middle... (progression was left to right). 

classic titans football and play design

first read is our special teams linebacker

third is an offensive lineman

yea, it worked. but who the hell does that? we just do things to do them, it seems

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Seems to be very often. He rarely makes it to a checkdown when he's looking downfield.

Someone shared a video thread with at least 5 plays where he didn't move off of one receiver and had someone else open.

Edited by TitanSS
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I don't disagree at all. I jumped out of my seat on that first down flip...I loved it!! I love Mariota, man. I freaking love that dude and the plays he makes.

But I just think he's broken. I think this team is broken, too, and don't think starting Tannehill would make a difference. We should've won the game yesterday and, if we played confident and physical football, we would have. But we don't want to be a confident and physical team, we just want to talk about it. Mariota is a victim of this terrible franchise, unfortunately, and just hasn't been able to transcend all the BS. Not his fault...most guys are transcendental. But if we're going to be this joke of a Jekkyl & Hyde team, the last person we need to be inconsistent is our QB.

I don't think I'm there yet... I haven't given up hope on the team or the QB. 

The thing is though... this franchise has been like this it seems like forever.  Remember, I go back to the Run 'n Shoot Oiler days.  I almost gave up on this franchise after what they did to McNair... and I blamed it all on Bud.  His passing was like a rebirth for this franchise.  I enjoy watching games again.  I haven't given up hope.  We're 2 weeks into the season... with 2 of our starting OL out... with a rookie OC... and with a bunch of guys coming together on offense (new or coming back from injury).  People are giving up on the season after 1/8 of it is completed... just like they did last week after Cleveland drove down the field on the 1st drive.

Let's get Lewan back, lets hit fall... and lets see where this offense is at.  We need to keep trying deep to open up the short field more.  I keep saying that, even when we miss... and it seems people agree with me.  They also say they wish we took more deep shots even if it meant a couple turn over.  I call bs on that, btw... 1st turnover, and its a crucifixion... as an example...He overthrows Delanie on a deep shot, and of course, everyone jumps on him about almost getting picked.

The only reason I think it might be over is because of the posters on here... no matter what he does, it won't ever be enough it seems.  I think it was similar with McNair back in the day (different posters, same general feel).  I don't live in Nashville so I don't know what the consensus is... but it seems the board has given up on him.  And it gets frustrating... every step, every drop back, every handoff is expected to be perfect... its the culture we live in I guess. 

2 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

The only reason I think it might be over is because of the posters on here... no matter what he does, it won't ever be enough it seems.  I think it was similar with McNair back in the day (different posters, same general feel).  I don't live in Nashville so I don't know what the consensus is... but it seems the board has given up on him.  And it gets frustrating... every step, every drop back, every handoff is expected to be perfect... its the culture we live in I guess. 

this is just flat-out silly. why would anybody on here not want marcus to succeed? i hear this so much from people who still believe in him, "whatever he does won't be enough," etc, etc, but the bar is so absurdly low! we are literally talking about whether he can be an effective game manager or not and it's a legitimate question! for a guy we picked #2 overall! i will never, ever understand why people are just cool with that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

this is just flat-out silly. why would anybody on here not want marcus to succeed? i hear this so much from people who still believe in him, "whatever he does won't be enough," etc, etc, but the bar is so absurdly low! we are literally talking about whether he can be an effective game manager or not and it's a legitimate question! for a guy we picked #2 overall! i will never, ever understand why people are just cool with that.

There is a hella crazy amount of overreaction to one bad game though.

I mean, it's week 2.  We don't even know who's good yet.

Just now, Daniel said:

There is a hella crazy amount of overreaction to one bad game though.

I mean, it's week 2.  We don't even know who's good yet.

the issue is that he played badly in all the exact same ways he’s played badly previously, which are basic things that it’s frankly egregious for a 5th-year vet to not be able to do. i’d love to eat some crow if he turns it around but it sure ain’t looking likely.

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

the issue is that he played badly in all the exact same ways he’s played badly previously, which are basic things that it’s frankly egregious for a 5th-year vet to not be able to do. i’d love to eat some crow if he turns it around but it sure ain’t looking likely.

Oh don't get me wrong, we saw a lot of classic bad Marcus on Sunday and there's definitely legitimate reason for concern.  I just think a lot of people should cool their jets on him being done as if one loss means the season is over.

There was very little complaining about him after week 1, and week 2, it's over, our goose is cooked, season done.  

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Oh don't get me wrong, we saw a lot of classic bad Marcus on Sunday and there's definitely legitimate reason for concern.  I just think a lot of people should cool their jets on him being done as if one loss means the season is over.

There was very little complaining about him after week 1, and week 2, it's over, our goose is cooked, season done.  

i mean, objectively you’re right. there’s a long season ahead, things could change, etc. but i think everyone recognizes that things are looking awwwwfully familiar at this point. so it’s looking likely that we’ll see the same stuff as always- a couple of nice games, a couple of bad ones, and on and on until we end up at 9-7 for a 4th consecutive year. that’s what’s causing the strong reaction, i’d say. fans of this team desperately want to get behind them fully but indications so far are that we’ll see the same frustrating, inconsistent, and flat-out boring team we always do. and that stings.

4 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

You're wondering if he's an effective game manager?  That's ridiculous.  This team is 3 games over .500 the past 3 years... on the backs of a team who was 22 games under .500 the 2 seasons prior to that.  I don't care how talented a roster you've built in 3 years... a bad real life QB doesn't do that.  Teams all load up to try to build around their QBs... not just us... and still, guys like Winston, Stafford, Tannehill, and other QBs the board appears to think are better QB options... can't claim the same kind of success.

Tannehill has been a horrible, even more injury prone QB since 2015... and people are still calling for him to replace Mariota.  It was no different with McNair and NOD... and honestly, it even happened with Moon and Carlson back in the day.  A HOF QB and a QB most of us now claim is the ultimate Titan.  Most fans are emotional... and get caught up in hyperbole. 

There's no rational argument to be had.  I'm no saying Mariota was good yesterday... but it was a team effort... from the HCs to the QB to the D... but of course... its only Mariota.  If Mariota only did this, we would have won.  Well, maybe... but also maybe, had we wrapped up Brissett on a couple of those should be sacks, we prevent another score... or maybe, if we don't wast 40 seconds an a timeout with 4 minutes left, maybe we have enough time to drive for that game winning FG... or maybe if the FG kicker makes a 45 yarder... or if a bunch of other things happen differently, we win... there's enough blame to go around.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

classic titans football and play design

first read is our special teams linebacker

third is an offensive lineman

yea, it worked. but who the hell does that? we just do things to do them, it seems

I worked, so we won't complain about it... but you're right.  What other team trots out two non offensive players as 2 of the top 3 options on a goal line play?  Maybe an extra OL... but two guys?  Lol... But I mean, that's Vrabel, right?

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

You're wondering if he's an effective game manager?  That's ridiculous.  This team is 3 games over .500 the past 3 years... on the backs of a team who was 22 games under .500 the 2 seasons prior to that.  I don't care how talented a roster you've built in 3 years... a bad real life QB doesn't do that.  Teams all load up to try to build around their QBs... not just us... and still, guys like Winston, Stafford, Tannehill, and other QBs the board appears to think are better QB options... can't claim the same kind of success.

Tannehill has been a horrible, even more injury prone QB since 2015... and people are still calling for him to replace Mariota.  It was no different with McNair and NOD... and honestly, it even happened with Moon and Carlson back in the day.  A HOF QB and a QB most of us now claim is the ultimate Titan.  Most fans are emotional... and get caught up in hyperbole. 

There's no rational argument to be had.  I'm no saying Mariota was good yesterday... but it was a team effort... from the HCs to the QB to the D... but of course... its only Mariota.  If Mariota only did this, we would have won.  Well, maybe... but also maybe, had we wrapped up Brissett on a couple of those should be sacks, we prevent another score... or maybe, if we don't wast 40 seconds an a timeout with 4 minutes left, maybe we have enough time to drive for that game winning FG... or maybe if the FG kicker makes a 45 yarder... or if a bunch of other things happen differently, we win... there's enough blame to go around.

Stafford is definitely a much, much better QB than Mariota. That comparison was absolutely ridiculous last week when it was made, and it remains so. 55 NFL coaches or executives were surveyed this past summer and asked to rank the quarterbacks in the league and break them into tiers. Stafford finished 11th and in the TIer 2, Mariota 26th in Tier 3. Only 2 people saw him good enough to fit into tier 2, and there's just no way to know that, but if there ever was I'd be willing to put some money on the fact that at least one of them works in the Titans organization.  

• Like 2