Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

Pains me to write this 

In Week 3 of our 2014 season, a very good Bengals defense absolutely rocked Jake Locker’s world. It was crystal clear in that very moment that he didn’t have the intelligence to be an NFL QB, as Cincy completely baffled him pre-snap. It was after that game in which I knew that Locker would never be a franchise QB. I will never ever forget that game 

Yesterday was the closest I’ve ever been to having that feeling again

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

Pains me to write this 

In Week 3 of our 2014 season, a very good Bengals defense absolutely rocked Jake Locker’s world. It was crystal clear in that very moment that he didn’t have the intelligence to be an NFL QB, as Cincy completely baffled him pre-snap. It was after that game in which I knew that Locker would never be a franchise QB. I will never ever forget that game 

Yesterday was the closest I’ve ever been to having that feeling again

For me, I will make my final declaration after the Broncos game. Lewan will be back for 2 games. We will have played 6 games and have a good feel for Smith and things should be clear. 

14 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

For me, I will make my final declaration after the Broncos game. Lewan will be back for 2 games. We will have played 6 games and have a good feel for Smith and things should be clear. 

it's not about Lewan, it's not about the playcalling, it's not about staying healthy, etc

It's about not making plays he needs to make. The plays we need him to make. He crumbles all too often...too many games like this one

7 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

it's not about Lewan, it's not about the playcalling, it's not about staying healthy, etc

It's about not making plays he needs to make. The plays we need him to make. He crumbles all too often...too many games like this one

Well it's two games. Last week people weren't calling for him to be benched. We hit a FG, make a sack or stop the long run I don't think they are calling for him either.  While his play the two weeks are about the same, the results aren't. 
If we win Thursday say 38-14 and he plays the same, what say you? Bench him?

After 6 weeks, I personally will have my mind made up. Because I'll be able to see where the team is standing. Not so much where Marcus stands. He could throw for 10 TDs in that span but if we are losing I'm not good with him being the starter. Just the same as if he only threw for 1 TD and 20 sacks, but we won 4 in a row. 

I feel what you saying. I'm just speaking on when I personally will likely throw in the towel or double down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Well it's two games. Last week people weren't calling for him to be benched. We hit a FG, make a sack or stop the long run I don't think they are calling for him either.  While his play the two weeks are about the same, the results aren't. 
If we win Thursday say 38-14 and he plays the same, what say you? Bench him?

After 6 weeks, I personally will have my mind made up. Because I'll be able to see where the team is standing. Not so much where Marcus stands. He could throw for 10 TDs in that span but if we are losing I'm not good with him being the starter. Just the same as if he only threw for 1 TD and 20 sacks, but we won 4 in a row. 

I feel what you saying. I'm just speaking on when I personally will likely throw in the towel or double down.

I'm def not saying bench him. Because Tannehill sure as hell couldn't do better behind this crappy OL and with this inconsistent, reactive trash that Smith is demonstrating with his playcalling

But he's not good enough for us to win consistently and be a great team. Too many games like this, and we need a QB who's able to transcend some of this stuff.

Mind you that I don't think Marcus is our #1 problem. Our coaching and culture is. We're a reactive football team and have been for a very long time. We aren't going anywhere until that changes.

Ravens haven't played what I call elite teams (Cardinals and Dolphins) but they have built an offense for Jackson. Hides all his weaknesses, highlights all his strengths (Running, deep ball, arm strength throws.)

He made some pocket throws but he is by no means, in my eyes, a QB. He is a supreme athlete playing QB. 
It was said the same about Marcus, athlete playing QB. 

One team made an offense for their QB, the other did not. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I'm def not saying bench him. Because Tannehill sure as hell couldn't do better behind this crappy OL and with this inconsistent, reactive trash that Smith is demonstrating with his playcalling

But he's not good enough for us to win consistently and be a great team. Too many games like this, and we need a QB who's able to transcend some of this stuff.

Mind you that I don't think Marcus is our #1 problem. Our coaching and culture is. We're a reactive football team and have been for a very long time. We aren't going anywhere until that changes.

I wish he was good or sucked so bad there was no discussion. I hate this floating between good-average-to below average. 

I hope I am wrong but yesterday I came to the conclusion that Mariota is not our guy going forward. He is a great person, hell of an athlete but I don't think he is ever going to come close to a franchise QB.

To watch the game yesterday and think Mariota was not a major reason for the loss would be ignorant. Mariota and the offense were the reason the Titans lost.

The problem I have is Mariota keeps making the same mistakes over and over again. Takes bad sacks constantly. Throwing is very hit and miss. There were several completions yesterday he made that were the receivers bailing him out. Even look at the touchdown to Quesenberry that no one on the planet saw coming. Wide open and he threw it behind Quesenberry adjusted to make a great catch.

O line hasn't helped but he has more than enough weapons now no more excuses.

Here is the truth in how I see it. I ask myself is Mariota better than Tannehill at this point in time? I can say I don't believe he is. Tannehill looking at it objectively in my opinion is equal or better than Mariota at this point. Crazy times we live in wish I wasn't saying that but my two cents.

Edited by Titan89

There's nothing to really prove this theory one way or another, but I've always felt like Marcus hasn't been the same guy since he broke his leg at the end of 2016. He might have recovered physically from that, but I think mentally that changed the trajectory of his entire career. Ever since that injury his confidence as a passer has been pretty much nonexistent.  He's been skiddish in the pocket, hesitates on everything he sees, and one of his biggest strengths coming out of Oregon was his ability to make quick decisions and get the ball out quickly. That skill has pretty much completely disappeared from his game. He was the perfect West Coast QB coming out of college. Everything has been off for him mentally since he broke his leg in 2016. and if anything he's completely regressed in the areas that made him a top prospect coming into the draft.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

There's nothing to really prove this theory one way or another, but I've always felt like Marcus hasn't been the same guy since he broke his leg at the end of 2016. He might have recovered physically from that, but I think mentally that changed the trajectory of his entire career. Ever since that injury his confidence as a passer has been pretty much nonexistent.  He's been skiddish in the pocket, hesitates on everything he sees, and one of his biggest strengths coming out of Oregon was his ability to make quick decisions and get the ball out quickly. That skill has pretty much completely disappeared from his game. He was the perfect West Coast QB coming out of college. Everything has been off for him mentally since he broke his leg in 2016. and if anything he's completely regressed in the areas that made him a top prospect coming into the draft.  

Not that this confirms anything, but he does make a lot more boneheaded throws once he's under a lot of pressure.  Games where he's protected well seem to be the ones where he does well.  Once that breaks down, we seem to get a lot more of fourth-quarter-Colts Marcus.

• Like 1

Is it too premature to say that Thursday's game feels like the biggest game of his career thus far (outside of the playoffs)?

Another rough outing that results in a loss and the national media, some local media and fans will really begin to ramp up about him not being the guy and starting Tannehill. It already feels like this is the lowest most local media and fans are with him since being drafted.

12 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Is it too premature to say that Thursday's game feels like the biggest game of his career thus far (outside of the playoffs)?

Another rough outing that results in a loss and the national media, some local media and fans will really begin to ramp up about him not being the guy and starting Tannehill. It already feels like this is the lowest most local media and fans are with him since being drafted.

Yeah I think if he plays like he did Sunday against the Jags and we end up losing again things are going to get really ugly. It feels like a must win game for him especially because our local media is starting to turn against him for the first time, and they pretty much drive the narrative for a good majority of the fan base. If he plays poorly and we lose to the Jags with a backup rookie QB things are going to get bad. There's no doubt about that.  

46 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

But that's the thing. I don't think national media will pick up on it. They just box score scout anyway. From outside looking in, it looks like the line is weak with Lewan is gone and it was a defensive game against the Colts. 
Because again, outside looking in, he didn't play that much different from Cleveland. 
I think if we get embarrassed and/or he throws 5 INTs then the national media will get it.

But we barely were talked about yesterday from what I saw. Colts with no Luck and little ol Titans played a game. *Yawn*

I think too many people are thinking he didn't play that poorly because he's not turning the ball over, although he should have yesterday.

He's locking into one receiver and if he doesn't get open taking a sack in year 5. He has mentally gotten worse each season.

There are zero excuses at this point. He hasn't been a good QB in 3 years. There are no more decisions to be made about him. I wanted to believe the injury excuse, the support excuse, the coaching excuse... But it's time to stop.

He is the biggest problem. No team has one player that is their only weakness, but given the position he plays and how god awful he was yesterday he is our biggest weakness.

If he can play below average we can win 10 games with this team, and he couldn't even do that yesterday.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

What about the plays he makes to give us a chance that are easily forgotten...

The run for first down flipping over the defender... sacrificing himself for the team... only for the play to be brought back on a bogus holding call.

What about eluding the rush, finding the right guy at the sticks to keep a drive alive... only to have said guy come back and lose 2 yards and the 1st down...

Its these types of plays typically go unmentioned.  And he'll take the brunt of the criticism for not leading us to a victory... it comes with the territory.  But this was a team loss... from the coaching to the QB to the line play to missing sacks and giving up the long run at the end of the game.  There were lapses at all levels... and that typically falls on the coaching.  They did such a great job last week... not so much this week. 

People post about him thinking he needs to make the perfect play every time... and why he takes the sacks he takes from time to time... and maybe that holds a lot more truth than we know... he's been trained to react that way.  Compared to other QB's, how often does someone made a play for him?  It's just what he's know the first 4 years of his career.