Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

11 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Just to torment us. He will go to Indy beat out Brisset. Have an offensive line and an OC only to win the division for 10 years straight. 

This is literally my worst nightmare.

This whole thing feels almost surreal to me that we're actually at this point of staring down the barrel of actually moving on from Marcus. I just never truly thought it would get to a point where everything pretty much imploded around him like it has, and he'd be struggling so much. I think there's still a good football player in him somewhere, but I feel like his tenure with the team has just been too tumultuous at this point. It's probably best for both sides to just move on and get a fresh start.

Watching this game. I'm convinced Marcus came in the league at the wrong time. 

If he would have come in now. A team would have put him in a spread like they have with Mayfield, Murray, Watson, Jackson Tribusky and Mahommes. 

But he came in and it was automatically can he play in a traditional NFL offense. 

• Like 2

Just a thought: Maybe just maaybbeee having Henry is holding Mariota back. Henry is a traditional runningback and isn’t effective running from shotgun. Clearly they want to run the offense through him.. Maybe if we got rid of Henry and got a running back that’s effective at running from shotgun(a true 3 down back).. Maybe we would cater the offense to Mariotas strength and the spread the offense out. Just a random thought

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Gonna fall asleep watching this game and think of how this could have been the guy to give us years of happiness. 

I'll say it again. We bought a college Corvette and turned him into a NFL SUV/pick up truck. 

Don't make me sad face before bed.

:(

1 hour ago, 615finest said:

Just a thought: Maybe just maaybbeee having Henry is holding Mariota back. Henry is a traditional runningback and isn’t effective running from shotgun. Clearly they want to run the offense through him.. Maybe if we got rid of Henry and got a running back that’s effective at running from shotgun(a true 3 down back).. Maybe we would cater the offense to Mariotas strength and the spread the offense out. Just a random thought

So you actually want to get rid of one of the very few good players on offense to continue to cater to a bum? I understand what you’re saying about those two not working together either but you don’t get rid of one player just because the other sucks.

Edited by ttitansfan4life
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

So you actually want to get rid of one of the very few good players on offense to continue to cater to a bum? I understand what you’re saying about those two not working together either but you don’t get rid of one player just because the other sucks.

Oh yea I know you don’t get rid of him. Just making an observation as to why the offense is the way it is and why we don’t play to Mariotas strength. 

2 hours ago, 615finest said:

Nah, it's too late for that now. That decision should've been made back in 15/16. 

It's funny though because I thought Ezekiel Elliott was the perfect back to complement Mariota back in 2016 draft. I definitely wasn't against drafting him before we signed Murray.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Watching this game. I'm convinced Marcus came in the league at the wrong time. 

If he would have come in now. A team would have put him in a spread like they have with Mayfield, Murray, Watson, Jackson Tribusky and Mahommes. 

But he came in and it was automatically can he play in a traditional NFL offense. 

I don’t think he came in at the wrong time, he just came in to the wrong franchise.

• Like 3

If last night showed me anything, it’s that a lot of the problems Mariota has (certainly not all, and he certainly has plenty of problems) can still be fixed in an offense that fits his skill set.

The dropping of his eyes and hesitancy to throw the ball more than 10 yards stopped once we went shotgun with our three best receivers on the field. He was willing to take shots into tight windows. Even the misses (thinking of the short throw to Humphries, underneath route to CD and back shoulder to AJ) were, at the very least, the right reads.

He can be a competent, solid NFL quarterback when we play to his strengths. But he’s not a transcendent talent. He won’t have success in every system. And if the offense of the first 2.5 games is the way we want to play, yeah, we might as well bench him. Because playing a system that makes your quarterback uncomfortable and hesitant does nobody any favors..

• Like 1