Buying a House

RavensTillIDie

22 minutes ago, theJ said:

That's right, you said that.  Patience.  When a new house hits the market, there's generally a flood of prospective buyers who are having trouble finding something already.  Unless you're priced just right or in a hot area, selling within a week is tough.

Did your neighbor clean up his yard yet?

Long story short:

He's in the process of doing so. He was very apologetic and has been very gracious, admitting his fault. The problem/issue is, right now, he's just kind of "organizing his junk" instead of cleaning it up. We are going on vacation, so he told me to share his phone number with my realtor. I'm going to do so here soon and just give her some specific things out front/on the side and within eye shot of our deck that can be hid relatively easily. It won't look great, but right now it's a complete abomination, and I'm not exaggerating. I'd link you to the Zillow drone pictures but I think that's against the forum rules unfortunately.

3 hours ago, theJ said:

If we do end up buying the house without AC, i'll have to compare the options.  Ductless is a little more intrusive into the living space, but likely cheaper.  Won't hurt to get quotes on both.

From what I have gathered, they are more efficient than ducted systems, more controllable (can set auto by room or everywhere at once) and they aren't all that intrusive anymore. The only draw back that I've seen is that they don't look particularly great on the outside of the house, but o well.

On 3/23/2019 at 1:20 PM, skywindO2 said:

Lost it. Maybe it makes me a terrible person but I'm hoping disaster strikes the other buyers and they have to pull out. 

Lol.  Just remind yourself, there's always another house.  Why did you lose, do you know?

We're probably (99%) putting a bid out tomorrow on a house we just saw today.  Would like to sleep it on it first.  My realtor said he talked to the seller's realtor, and they're expecting a bid from another person who walked through today or yesterday.  So we're about to be in the same position.

House has been on the market for 2 days, and it shows well.  So i'm not surprised at all about entering a bidding war.

45 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Sold my house! Let’s goooooo!!!!!!

Nice, congrats!

We just put an offer out this morning.  Went in pretty close to list, with a few add-ins thrown in to compensate a little.  Our goal is that they don't counter and there isn't a bidding war.  Hopefully we'll hear back by noon tomorrow.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, theJ said:

Nice, congrats!

We just put an offer out this morning.  Went in pretty close to list, with a few add-ins thrown in to compensate a little.  Our goal is that they don't counter and there isn't a bidding war.  Hopefully we'll hear back by noon tomorrow.

Best wishes man! Whereabouts?

11 hours ago, theJ said:

Lol.  Just remind yourself, there's always another house.  Why did you lose, do you know?

We're probably (99%) putting a bid out tomorrow on a house we just saw today.  Would like to sleep it on it first.  My realtor said he talked to the seller's realtor, and they're expecting a bid from another person who walked through today or yesterday.  So we're about to be in the same position.

House has been on the market for 2 days, and it shows well.  So i'm not surprised at all about entering a bidding war.

I think the other offer was just higher. 

36 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Best wishes man! Whereabouts?

NW Ohio.  It's in a nice area, very scenic area (is that possible in Ohio? lol).  Housing values in this area have been going up and up and up the last 10 years as people from the big city migrate out to the 'burbs.  It's close to a very large, very nice metropark (you can see it from the front windows).

It didn't quite meet all our check boxes (no pole barn or extra garage space for my woodworking equipment), but the house was so nice and seemed like a great deal so we couldn't pass it up.  We'll just have to save up to add on to the garage or something.

9 minutes ago, theJ said:

+1

As a project manager, i can say with absolute certainty that contractors need to be managed.

Even if you have absolutely no idea what you are even looking at just making an appearance has an intimidating effect against unethical builders. Construction fraud is rife. It contributed to both the inflation and bursting of the housing bubble. I used to watch this show while it was still running:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/shows/the-property-man

RIP.

5 minutes ago, TVScout said:

Even if you have absolutely no idea what you are even looking at just making an appearance has an intimidating effect against unethical builders. Construction fraud is rife. It contributed to both the inflation and bursting of the housing bubble. I used to watch this show while it was still running:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/shows/the-property-man

RIP.

50% of the time i don't understand the details of what my contractors are doing either.  You're right, even just being there helps in several ways.  You can keep contractors motivated if you're courteous to them and treat them like real people.  Get to know them a bit, and they'll do a better job for you.  And like you said, just being there can help keep them honest.

And don't be afraid to ask questions either.  The foreman should be able to spare some time once a week to walk you through site showing you the progress.  Ask a bunch of dumb questions.  You'll learn some stuff, and if something is screwy it'll become apparent.  

• Like 2