Buying a House

RavensTillIDie

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

California the cheapest HOA ive seen is usually 250.

3 hours ago, Dome said:

Yikes. 

Yeah I’d be singing a different tune if my HOA quintupled in price lol 

It also depends on what you get for that cost.

For example my dad’s HOA is like $200, but that includes lawn service, snow removal, gutter maintenance, etc as well as replacement of roofing when the time comes.

Seems reasonable enough to me if avoiding that kind of stuff is the draw to living in a condo, which it is for him.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It also depends on what you get for that cost.

For example my dad’s HOA is like $200, but that includes lawn service, snow removal, gutter maintenance, etc as well as replacement of roofing when the time comes.

Seems reasonable enough to me if avoiding that kind of stuff is the draw to living in a condo, which it is for him.

$40 - weekly lawn service (front lawn only), weekly street sweeping, snow removal, and they pay the water bill to keep the front lawn watered. No roof replacement or gutter cleaning, but gutters aren't an issue here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dome said:

$40 - weekly lawn service (front lawn only), weekly street sweeping, snow removal, and they pay the water bill to keep the front lawn watered. No roof replacement or gutter cleaning, but gutters aren't an issue here.

Damn homie, that’s not bad.

Costs me $20 a week for my lawn alone and it’s my kid who’s mowing it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Damn homie, that’s not bad.

Costs me $20 a week for my lawn alone and it’s my kid who’s mowing it.

yeah, really happy with this HOA. I'm doing bark/large stones/ornamental grass istead of a back yard next year so it'll be almost completely maintenance free exterior. Really excited for that lol. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, scar988 said:

How much is the house though? Because 15k below 100k is ridiculous. 15k below on say 250k is still pretty ridiculous depending on the market.

It's listed at 150, and I admit, 15 is an aggressive cut but I had no expectations that they'd come down that low, but hoping they'd meet me somewhere between 139-144. Based on comparisons with other sales in the past year, I definitely won't go over 144.

I had a little rant about HOA dues earlier but average for any place I've been interested in is about $300/month. I've seen them as high as $500 and I don't even bother looking at the pictures on the listing. I'm calculating that into my monthly costs for sure. Standard inclusions seem to be water, sewage, trash, heat, snow/lawn care, hazard insurance, and some amount of shared maintenance. The place I'm looking at actually includes all their outside maintenance, including windows, which is pretty nice. 

5 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

It's listed at 150, and I admit, 15 is an aggressive cut but I had no expectations that they'd come down that low, but hoping they'd meet me somewhere between 139-144. Based on comparisons with other sales in the past year, I definitely won't go over 144.

I had a little rant about HOA dues earlier but average for any place I've been interested in is about $300/month. I've seen them as high as $500 and I don't even bother looking at the pictures on the listing. I'm calculating that into my monthly costs for sure. Standard inclusions seem to be water, sewage, trash, heat, snow/lawn care, hazard insurance, and some amount of shared maintenance. The place I'm looking at actually includes all their outside maintenance, including windows, which is pretty nice. 

This past year my brother and I offered 95K on a condo listed for 117k as an investment and it was accepted. I'll never feel bad about a low offer.

5 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

which area?

7 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Even if you get under contract for $144ish you can nickle and dime them on the inspection to get them to pay for repairs.