How good is this Ravens Defense?

CP3MVP

5 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

I think that it works both ways though.

The rule change doesn't just help elite offenses, it helps all offenses. That includes Joe Flacco and the Ravens offense.

It's not really unthinkable that the Ravens could hold an offense like the Chiefs to 20-23 points if they are truly an elite defense.

It's also not unthinkable that the Ravens offense could score close to 30 on the god-awful Chiefs defense.

So I disagree with that premise.

But ultimately I don't think this Ravens defense or team is going to win a SB.

Main reason is that the Ravens in recent years will blowout the terrible teams they play and then not do as well against the better teams in the league.

I know they beat the Steelers, but I don't really think the Steelers are all that this year anyways. Plus it's a division rival.

I wanna see how the Ravens fair against the Saints, Panthers, Chiefs and Chargers before I make a real evaluation of them.

Until then, they are still the same Ravens.

I said I don't think a defense can carry them to the superbowl. If the offense is scoring 30 in order to get there, that is not the defense carrying them.

Right on cue, Brett.

Summary: Ravens baffle young QBs, have made younger QBs lives a hell, and aren't afraid of blitzing loads and they can disguise it (22 sacks vs young QB, but only 4 vs veteran QBs). Baltimore wont find it as easy against Brees who has seen everything, who gets it out quick, who is the least hit QB so far this season - he can carve them up. Balt will hold Brees to far less than typical output, but both teams are greater than the sum of their parts -  but it will be the NO offense pulling through. 

I don't think Brees' quick release is the thing that will hurt us. I think his play action game with WR's going behind the 2nd level LBers is what's going to hurt us, if anything.

We all saw last year how an elite defense (Jacksonville) can carry you deep into the playoffs. I think our defense is just as good as that Jacksonville unit last year, but our offense is much better than theirs - particularly because of playoff Joe Flacco and our WR's. What our defense is doing right now is historically good - not just 2018 good, and we're doing it with basically the same players that Dean Pees had last year.

6 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I don't think Brees' quick release is the thing that will hurt us. I think his play action game with WR's going behind the 2nd level LBers is what's going to hurt us, if anything.

We all saw last year how an elite defense (Jacksonville) can carry you deep into the playoffs. I think our defense is just as good as that Jacksonville unit last year, but our offense is much better than theirs - particularly because of playoff Joe Flacco and our WR's. What our defense is doing right now is historically good - not just 2018 good, and we're doing it with basically the same players that Dean Pees had last year.

You don't have the same level of talent, but with the results its producing, you could argue it's better coached. Certainly is NOW without question. As that video shows, some lovely designed blitzes and fakes. 

6 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

You don't have the same level of talent, but with the results its producing, you could argue it's better coached. Certainly is NOW without question. As that video shows, some lovely designed blitzes and fakes. 

We don't have the level of talent at outside CB, but we're deeper at CB than Jacksonville is, our safeties are better, our ILB's are better, our edge rushers are better, and our interior guys are better at stopping the run. The only thing they have on us is interior rushers (Campbell), which we really lack in that area.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

We don't have the level of talent at outside CB, but we're deeper at CB than Jacksonville is, our safeties are better, our ILB's are better, our edge rushers are better, and our interior guys are better at stopping the run. The only thing they have on us is interior rushers (Campbell), which we really lack in that area.

I think you're a bit harsh. I thought we were comparing them to last year, as well? "I think our defense is just as good as that Jacksonville unit last year". On this basis, I can't say that BAL's cornerbacks are deeper than the Ramsay, Bouye, Colvin group. Safeties are better, yes. ILB pretty even, and the interior better at stopping the run. I'd give edge rushers to JAX, who once again were stacked. 

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I think you're a bit harsh. I thought we were comparing them to last year, as well? "I think our defense is just as good as that Jacksonville unit last year". On this basis, I can't say that BAL's cornerbacks are deeper than the Ramsay, Bouye, Colvin group. Safeties are better, yes. ILB pretty even, and the interior better at stopping the run. I'd give edge rushers to JAX, who once again were stacked. 

Yeah I was comparing this year's BAL to last year's Jacksonville, and I stand by that assessment. 

Well, when you compare it to the pile of garbage that is called defense in the rest of the league, they are really really good.  Maybe even great.

But, it's not a unit that can carry them to a SB.  It's an offensive league now.  The most effective defenses for their teams are the ones that create a lot of turnovers and avoid big plays.  Make the offense work for it.

40 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Interesting idea for a comparison poll, that.

@.Buzz @pwny Maybe he's right, and I'm wrong? (above)

I haven’t watched enough of Baltimore to make a definitive answer.

But I will say that I cannot see how Baltimore had better edge rushers. Campbell played outside and kicked inside on pass rush packages to allow Fowler on the field. I believe 8 of his sacks came playing End and 5 on the interior. Campbell and Yannick both finished top 4 in pressures iirc. Then Fowler had another 8 sacks playing End. And yes, we had the interior pressure with Malik also adding 8 sacks.

We didn’t have any real depth behind Colvin, but scheme (and the absurd speed of Jack/Smith as LBs) basically kept us from ever needing to go much deeper. And there was a very legitimate argument that we had the two best CBs in all of football last season.

Our run defense was not good though. Without even watching the Ravens, I have no doubt they’re far better against the run.

4 minutes ago, pwny said:

I haven’t watched enough of Baltimore to make a definitive answer.

But I will say that I cannot see how Baltimore had better edge rushers. Campbell played outside and kicked inside on pass rush packages to allow Fowler on the field. I believe 8 of his sacks came playing End and 5 on the interior. Campbell and Yannick both finished top 4 in pressures iirc. Then Fowler had another 8 sacks playing End. And yes, we had the interior pressure with Malik also adding 8 sacks.

We didn’t have any real depth behind Colvin, but scheme (and the absurd speed of Jack/Smith as LBs) basically kept us from ever needing to go much deeper. And there was a very legitimate argument that we had the two best CBs in all of football last season.

Our run defense was not good though. Without even watching the Ravens, I have no doubt they’re far better against the run.

Yeah this basically echoes what I said - although I'll have to see where our edge rushers finish in terms of pressures/sacks but so far Suggs, Z. Smith and Tim Williams I would at least say are on the same level last year as Campbell, Yannick and Fowler. Compeltely possible that these guys fizzle out as the season goes on, though.. You guys absolutely are better at interior rush AND better talent wise on the outside, I just think we're deeper at CB overall and our talent outside is still pretty darn good with Jimmy Smith back.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Did That defense really “carry them deep in the playoffs” though?

The first game was against Tyrod Taylor who is awful and they BARELY scrapped by. The second game the defense got torched by the Steelers offense and the jags offense put up 35 points. 

I believe it's good enough that they'll win the division.  They should be the favorite going forward, even if Bell does come back and play at a high level.  I would like to buy into Cincinnati's hot start, but I believe they will ultimately finish 8-8 with the schedule they have.  Ravens should win 10 and that may be good enough to win the AFC North

Archived