The Best Movie Ever Made According to You (AND WHY)

MacReady

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

guess for me, it comes down to a few questions:

1. Is it timeless? 

Can someone sit down and watch it without even daring to remake it?

2. How's the dialogue?

Overall acting, chemistry, and the cast/role for each

3. Is there enough action/going on to hold my interest/the interest of someone that may not care about the historical background, sport, etc. (Overall Cinematic Experience included)

4. Will I stop everything that I'm doing to watch the climax/ending of the movie even if I have seen it 10,000 times, own it, etc.

5. How's the Music/soundtrack?

agreed with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Forgot that one

1 minute ago, Malfatron said:

agreed with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Forgot that one

Per my #4 "stop everything", I'll also put the "Does it give me goosebumps?" experience.

Rocky picking himself up off the canvas and gesturing toward Apollo gets me EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Harry's "We win Gracie!" in Armageddon gets me every single time.

The Rocky IV training montage is better than the fight and the fight is also good.

The premise of It's a Wonderful Life gets me every time and it's something that I share with my students on a daily basis.

The Dark Knight Rises when Batman outs himself to Gordon saying that "A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended." was the perfect ending to an epic trilogy, showing how a Billionaire could be so selfless/not care about glory or even his own name, especially in light of the relationship he had with Gordon.

Just now, MWil23 said:

The Dark Knight Rises when Batman outs himself to Gordon saying that "A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended."

That's it, I'm watching the Dark Knight trilogy again. 

Also, I'd just like to point out that Stranger Things season three is apparently directly inspired by The Thing, which was the subject of the original post of this thread. 

Before Stranger Things season 3 starts, if you have not seen The Thing, I implore you to watch it. 

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 1:54 PM, Outpost31 said:

L.A. Confidential is one of the best examples of a newer generation of Hollywood taking on an older version of Hollywood, updating it to fit a post-Hayes Code Hollywood (in which the category of film noir was essentially born), and making it not only new, but also old.  I have it at 9/10.  Only reason it's not a 10/10 is because it doesn't have that all-important rewatchability trait that all of my 10/10 movies have. 

That's crazy talk.  I've seen that movie a 15-20 times and love it just as much now as the first time I saw it.

Just now, THE DUKE said:

That's crazy talk.  I've seen that movie a 15-20 times and love it just as much now as the first time I saw it.

I've been able to watch it twice, but it felt more like a chore the second time. 

On 8/28/2017 at 8:56 PM, O'Doyle Rules said:

I have to go back and watch die hard, only seen it once and just seems like a overrated movie to me when people call it the best action movie ever.

Diehard still holds up after all these years as an incredible movie but it's not the best action movie.  That title belongs to MI: Fallout.  It has the best cornucopia of action sequences- car chases, helicopter chases, hand to hand combat, gunfights, skydiving etc.  The pacing of the film is perfect in how it gives you a chance to catch your breath before the next action sequence.

My pick for best movie is Groundhog Day.  Awesome concept executed with a brilliant and hilarious script that is beautifully carried out by a remarkable performance from Bill Murray.

The Matrix - The first time I watched this movie, I didn't "get it".  It just seemed very weird and I was actually kind of bored.  Fortunately, I decided to watch it a second time and it absolutely blew my mind!  It's one of the only movies I know of that actually made me start thinking about all of the things I've always believed to be true in life.  It was an incredible story.

The Terminator - I remember renting the VHS version of this movie about 5-6 times back when it was still a new release.  Like The Matrix, it had a storyline that really makes you think it could happen - particularly after hearing about more and more recent advances in artificial intelligence.

Tommy Boy - Hands down, the best comedy of all time.  I sure miss Chris Farley.  :(

Caddyshack - If there has ever been a movie that has been quoted more times than Casablanca, this might be the one. 

The Patriot - One of my Top-5 best movies ever.  I loved this one.

A Bronx Tale - Not quite on the level of The Godfather or Goodfellas, but this movie is VERY underrated as far as I'm concerned.  If you like mob movies and haven't seen it, you should definitely check it out.

The Exorcist - The most horrifying movie ever made. 

21 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Lazy.  

Yea but it gets people who haven't watched it to watch it and see.

The biggest draw for me with The Big Lebowski and really with alot of Coen Bro movies is the attention to detail they put throughout the movie.

There is so much subtle humor in the movie you can watch it 20 times and still pick up on things you missed from the times before.

That to me makes a fantastic movie, and The Big Lebowski is the best of the bunch.

5 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Yea but it gets people who haven't watched it to watch it and see.

The biggest draw for me with The Big Lebowski and really with alot of Coen Bro movies is the attention to detail they put throughout the movie.

There is so much subtle humor in the movie you can watch it 20 times and still pick up on things you missed from the times before.

That to me makes a fantastic movie, and The Big Lebowski is the best of the bunch.

If you didn’t like it we’d have 6 pages on it though.

Archived