Is Aaron Donald already a HOFer?

NFLExpert49

3 minutes ago, Riftty said:

Oh yeah I definitely remember that season. It was insanely impressive. That was the most impact out of that position that I have personally seen. I have only been watching football since 97' so that isn't a huge sample size but Watts 14, 15, 16 seasons were the best I have seen from a DE.

Again, nowhere here am I saying that Donald isn't impressive - I'm merely stating that the last time I've ever seen a single player take over a season like Watt did was the one year Deion Sanders played in San Francisco, where teams simply cut the field in half to avoid the man, and he still had 303 yards and 3 TDs on six INTs. 

It was more than impressive, it was incredible.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

They become notable when you're recording them at the same rate as a DB. Watt was tied for 11th in PDs that year. I'll give you the INT, but the actual play itself is arguably one of the most incredible plays I've ever seen anyone make. That stat line doesn't tell you it was in with the Texans down 10-7 to Buffalo in the 3rd quarter with Buffalo on their own 18; It's THE reason Houston won that day.

If Brady is rushing for 1,000 yards in a season, you better believe that's a major point in his favor.

I remember the play. It was amazing. As for PDs, it's nice to have, but it's nothing like rushing for 1000 yards in a season. It's more akin to Brady's ability to basically always convert QB sneaks. At the end of the day, though, it's not something that should make any real difference when comparing two elite DLs. 

Just now, jrry32 said:

I remember the play. It was amazing. As for PDs, it's nice to have, but it's nothing like rushing for 1000 yards in a season. It's more akin to Brady's ability to basically always convert QB sneaks. At the end of the day, though, it's not something that should make any real difference when comparing two elite DLs. 

I'll disagree with this, as Watt's did lead to a lot of INTs (don't have exact numbers and I'm too tired to look it up). It's not as good as a sack, but it's as good as holding a RB to no yards and getting credit for a TFL (which happens).

As stated - I'm tired, so I'm calling a stalemate. GG jrry. :)

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Whoa there. Let me fix that for you. "Watt won a playoff game* . . . .

* - Bengals" ;)

... he saved us from the phrase "Super Bowl winning Head Coach Marvin Lewis."

So, you're WELCOME.

Still don't see anything as impressive from Donald so far as Watt's 2012 or 2014 seasons (obviously different positions and stats, but that's my opinion).  Donald is on pace for a special season this year though so we will see where he ends up.  I still couldn't consider him for the Hall without a few more seasons like he's had so far.  But that's actually giving him a lot of praise since already being discussed as a HOFer after just 4.5 years is pretty incredible.

On the other hand, I would already consider Watt as a HOFer at this point despite the injuries.  And its not even purely a "stats" thing for me; Watt has absolutely dominated the league in every year that he was healthy and if any of you are actually saying that Donald is already in the Hall, then I can't imagine the logical pretzels you must be twisting yourselves into to claim that Watt somehow ISN'T worthy as well...

Double Teamed on 58% 

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

I don't know, and don't care to look it up. If you're using this one stat as validation that Donald's 2018 is on pace with Watt's 2014, then you're using stats like a drunk person uses a lamppost - for support, not illumination.

@jrry32

17 hours ago, El ramster said:

Double Teamed on 58% 

@jrry32

Sigh...

20 hours ago, ET80 said:

You're right - but I don't recall refuting your response. I haven't seen a Wade defense since 2013, so I don't know what he calls now vs what he calls then.

...and...

21 hours ago, ET80 said:

If you're using this one stat as validation that Donald's 2018 is on pace with Watt's 2014, then you're using stats like a drunk person uses a lamppost - for support, not illumination.

...I just took you off of the block list, Rammy. Don't get punted back to purgatory.

Archived