Redskins film review OL stands out vs the Dal

turtle28

https://theathletic.com/612000/2018/10/25/redskins-film-room-offensive-line-stand-out-against-cowboys/

The OL played well vs Dallas - especially in run blocking - which was a key to our win vs Dallas.

First down play-calling

One of the things that Gruden is commonly criticized for as a play-caller is running the ball too often on first down. Against the Cowboys, it felt like it was predictable that a run was coming on first down. So I went back and checked what the Redskins ran on first downs. I didn’t include plays run during the two minute drill or in the red zone, as the situation dictates a different call. I also excluded any first downs that had penalty yards tagged on, either for or against.

The Redskins had 17 first and 10 plays outside of the red zone and two-minute drill. Only two were passes, one a wide receiver screen that fell incomplete and the other a four verticals concept that was also incomplete. The 15 other plays all resulted in the ball being handed off. The Redskins picked up 72 yards on those 15 plays at 4.8 yards per carry.

Offensive line carrying offense

The success of the Redskins’ offense has largely been off the back of their offensive line. With Shawn Lauvao back healthy, the Redskins were able to field their starting offensive line for the first time in a couple of weeks, and the cohesion was clear to see. However, on many plays, there were individuals that stood out with terrific blocks.

This is the screen pass to Kapri Bibbs for a touchdown. Right guard Brandon Scherff is the key to watch on this play. He helps his teammates secure two blocks initially and then works out to make a critical block in front of Bibbs. He makes up a tremendous amount of ground and springs Bibbs free, turning a play that could have been blown up for no gain into a touchdown.

Scherff was far from the only player with a notable block.

Here, the Redskins run a toss play to the left. The core of the concept is for tight end Vernon Davis to down block inside, pinning the defensive end inside and enabling left tackle Trent Williams to pull out to the edge. Williams gets up to full speed on the edge and makes for a frightening lead blocker, taking out a defender on the edge and blocking him to the ground.

As a side note for this play, at first look left guard Shawn Lauvao appears to get blown up. However, his job is to reach across the face of the three-technique defensive tackle and pin him inside, which he does successfully. In fact, he also bumps into the defensive end, helping Davis secure his block and seal off the defensive line inside.

Lauvao and center Chase Roullier both had excellent blocks on another run later in the game to spring Peterson free for a big gain.

On this play, the Redskins run an RPO sweep play, where Smith reads a linebacker and either hands off on the sweep or keeps the ball and throws the slant to tight end Jordan Reed on the back side. The linebacker to Reed’s side drops into coverage, telling Smith to hand off. From there, the run is about as well executed as it could have been. Williams and tight end Jeremy Sprinkle pin the defensive tackle and defensive end inside, allowing Lauvao and Roullier to pull to the edge. Both make strong blocks on the edge, with Lauvao in particular standing out by taking his defender to the ground. Peterson turns the corner and bursts down the sideline on his way to a huge gain.

The offensive line can run equally well either way. Some lines are unbalanced with their best blockers stacked on one side, but the Redskins’ offensive line is balanced and has tremendous athletes across the line, all capable of pulling to the edge and working in space. We just saw a sweep play to the left with Lauvao and Roullier pulling, but they can run it just as effectively in the other direction.

This is the same concept, but flipped in the other direction. Vernon Davis and right tackle Morgan Moses pin the defensive end and tackle inside, while Scherff and Roullier pull around to the edge. Both show off their athletic ability, pulling to the edge and blocking in space, picking up the linebackers scraping to the edge and opening up a lane for Peterson to cut back on his way to a 9-yard gain.

The offensive line is capable of carrying this offense while Alex Smith and the passing game slowly finds rhythm. Having Peterson create his own yards certainly helps too.

Good read. Yes they did well but what I’m struck by is how a hall of fame running back, albeit an aging one, makes the line look so much better

also our WR’s that played were tough aggressive blockers. Crowded can’t block anybody and neither can Richardson. Our weak link is our TE blocking- they all stink 

On 10/26/2018 at 9:05 AM, Doc Draper said:

Good read. Yes they did well but what I’m struck by is how a hall of fame running back, albeit an aging one, makes the line look so much better

also our WR’s that played were tough aggressive blockers. Crowded can’t block anybody and neither can Richardson. Our weak link is our TE blocking- they all stink 

I think our TE has been better blocking this year but for the most part agree they usually aren’t better than average.

As far as Crowder and PRich, despite their size, at least they are willing blockers who will try, in the past we’ve had some WRs who won’t even move off the line if it’s a run play because they know they aren’t getting the ball.

19 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I don’t have a problem with Gruden calling a bunch of run plays.  Run it at them until they can prove they can stop it.

While I like it, I think more balance is needed. More Balanced play calling on first down should lead to even more success on first downs.

You know some of you are saying Smith will get better as the season goes on.  Man I hope so. But how much better can AP get if he remains healthy and continues working with that OLine and the blocking scheme.  Also I love the fact that we are running AP about 15 - 16 times per game.  Keep him fresh.  Need to have Perine run about 10 snaps, that dude's confidence is shot to hell I think, he needs to bring up his game.

20 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Very true. He doesn't have the skillset to slide to G. Which is a weakness in his game and one which makes him less valuable in the long run

Wasn’t the word about him since the draft process that he needed to get stronger?

You can even see that on the field. He’s plenty tall, but his upper body looks like it needs work compared to the vets but at center, that’s fine. I don’t think he needs to gain weight, he just needs to turn some fat into muscle.

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Wasn’t the word about him since the draft process that he needed to get stronger?

You can even see that on the field. He’s plenty tall, but his upper body looks like it needs work compared to the vets but at center, that’s fine. I don’t think he needs to gain weight, he just needs to turn some fat into muscle.

You are correct. He has the skills at C. He just needs to get stronger.

At G, I'm not sure (even though they are close in skillset)

Archived