WR Golden Tate to the Eagles for a 3rd

eagles18

5 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

I don't know the specific comp pick rules off the top of my head. 

All I'm saying is it's 100% worth trading a 3rd or 4th round pick for a player of Tate's caliber for just about any team minus maybe a handful like SF, Arizona,etc.

You're risking him leaving this off-season sure. But you're also risking it every time you draft a player like Josh Huff or Bennie Logan or Donnell Pumphrey and so on and so on. 

I want everyone to look at our roster. Look at all of our best players. What round were they taken in?

Ert 2nd

Jeffrey 2nd

Goedert 2nd

Wentz 1st

Agholor 1st

Cox 1st

Barnett 1st

Graham 1st

Jenkins 1st

Darby 1st

Lane 1st

See where I'm going?

I get what you’re saying BA but I could also bring up a nice list of 3rd rounders from OTHER teams.

Especially as of late, you always see great players fall in the draft every year. Thankfully we have 2 seconds this year which takes the sting off a bit. 

Even though I think a 3rd is too much, overall I support the trade. Tate is a guy who can make plays with the ball in his hands.... something this team needs.

19 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I like it. I don't like it for a 3rd round pick, but whatever. This team had like 10 or 11 picks next year and Howie has an entire offseason to make up ground there, so I am not worried about that......right now

This team desperately needed another playmaker. I have had no faith that the Eagles were ever going to break a big play. Golden Tate is someone that can take a short pass and turn it into a long gain.

This does raise some serious questions about Nelson though. Him and Tate appear to be similar players, so I don't know who plays what role and how all that works together. 

Thing is, if he does not resign with the Eagles in the off season we can get a 3rd/4th round comp pick for him (as long as we don't sign another WR FA). So if that happens we basically borrowed Tate to move back a few spots in the 3rd round. 

Not Bad

Master "The Haul" Cheddaar

10 minutes ago, DeJack_10 said:

I get what you’re saying BA but I could also bring up a nice list of 3rd rounders from OTHER teams.

Especially as of late, you always see great players fall in the draft every year. Thankfully we have 2 seconds this year which takes the sting off a bit. 

Even though I think a 3rd is too much, overall I support the trade. Tate is a guy who can make plays with the ball in his hands.... something this team needs.

yeah, like 50% of the top rushers the last two years are 3rd/4th round picks, 

So I get the logic trail, but I think it's taking it a little far that those picks are essentially worthless because we haven't landed someone there consistently

Damn i wanted as many picks as possible, especially 3rd round and higher.

Maybe we get a 4th round comp for Tate if he signs somewhere else in FA though but that’s like a round a a half drop or so.

Dont get it twisted though Tate is a very good receiver. Just not sure we are in a position to make a run this year. Hopefully I’m wrong.

5 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Thing is, if he does not resign with the Eagles in the off season we can get a 3rd/4th round comp pick for him (as long as we don't sign another WR FA). So if that happens we basically borrowed Tate to move back a few spots in the 3rd round. 

Not Bad

Master "The Haul" Cheddaar

There’s no way Tate will get a contract in his 30s that would net a 3rd round comp... maybe a 4th round comp. 

6 minutes ago, Blaaaaaah said:

If we don’t resign him, the comp pick would more than likely be a 4th apparently.

Really not that big of a deal tbh. 

Very well could be a 5th and comp picks are after the end of that round so a possible mid 3rd to almost early 6th rounder is a steep drop.

2 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Very well could be a 5th and comp picks are after the end of that round so a possible mid 3rd to almost early 6th rounder is a steep drop.

Or a late 4th to a late 5th for a guy on pace for 1300 yards. 

A few ways to look at it, Howie has bought about 5 years of credit from me though. 

Just now, Blaaaaaah said:

Or a late 4th to a late 5th for a guy on pace for 1300 yards. 

A few ways to look at it, Howie has bought about 5 years of credit from me though. 

A very late 4th or 5th. Like I said they are basically early 5th or 6th rounders.

Tate is a really good receiver, especially in the slot, but I don’t know if he sees a big enough pay day when he turns 31 before the start of next season to net us a 4th round comp pick.

With that said it will be fun watching him the rest of the year and posting “YAC” all the time and not sarcastically.

11 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

yeah, like 50% of the top rushers the last two years are 3rd/4th round picks, 

So I get the logic trail, but I think it's taking it a little far that those picks are essentially worthless because we haven't landed someone there consistently

I didn't say that any of those picks are essentially worthless.

I said they're not so valuable that they should be hoarded in favor of acquiring NFL players who have and are playing at at a high-level.

My point is, the difference in value in our 1st and 2nd round draft picks compared to 3rd or 4th round picks is WAY more substantial than the difference between a 3rd round pick compared to a 4th or 5th round pick.

The level of players that we have taken over the years in the 1st and 2nd round is just so much better than any others. Obviously it's because of the obvious: higher pick means better prospect.

I'm just saying that IMO there is a very very slim difference between a 3rd round pick and a 4th/5th. And that that difference is in no way equal to what a player like Tate brings to this team, even just this season.

3rd rounder is a bit rich for a 30 year old, but he's a definite upgrade over Agholor. Hopefully we extend him soon and he's here for another 2 seasons, or however long he keeps his athleticism. Looking forward to seeing a slot wr who can get open more than two or three times a game, unlike Nelson. 

I'll just repost this in here.

This!

Look adding any legit weapon on offense is always a good thing no matter the position but was it really the biggest need? NO! However Pederson might be taking the Andy Reid 2019 Chiefs approach. Get as many Playmakers who can create mismatches on the field as possible for your FQB! From that line of thinking I'm OK with it. What I'm not OK with is the complete disreguard in addressing the RB position? That should of been priority #1 after losing basically all 3 from last year Blount, Ajayi and a Gimpy Clement!

I will say to those who keep referring to Tate as a 8 game rental this trade did accomplish 1 thing. Now Howie can use both as leverage in negotiations for who signs next year long term, Nelly or Tate. Who wants to stay, who wants to go. Now that line of thinking will obviously backfire if both Agholor and Tate leave via FA but it does make for an interesting dynamic come negotiations.

I can think of a lot worse options then lining up Agholor and Tate side by side in the slot and asking opposing teams CB3/4 who you got?. Just saying!

Hell Pederson destroyed Sproles 1st game of the season when he tried giving him 20 touches in a game. Hasn't seen the field since. However maybe He too can be added to this Offense that lets be real has seen him but a handful of games in almost 2 years. Treat him like another FA.

Empty backfield after Sproles goes in motion. Who you Got Defense? Alshon, Ertz, Tate, Sproles, Agholor

Could be interesting/entertaining at times.

5 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

I didn't say that any of those picks are essentially worthless.

I said they're not so valuable that they should be hoarded in favor of acquiring NFL players who have and are playing at at a high-level.

My point is, the difference in value in our 1st and 2nd round draft picks compared to 3rd or 4th round picks is WAY more substantial than the difference between a 3rd round pick compared to a 4th or 5th round pick.

The level of players that we have taken over the years in the 1st and 2nd round is just so much better than any others. Obviously it's because of the obvious: higher pick means better prospect.

I'm just saying that IMO there is a very very slim difference between a 3rd round pick and a 4th/5th. And that that difference is in no way equal to what a player like Tate brings to this team, even just this season.

Was being a bit hyperbolic, 

I think yes, it's a little obvious that 
A) 1st and 2nd picks are worth more as chips
B) We have more players from there because they are better quality prospects

But I think that just because we kinda suck at landing on 3rd rounders (it's a league trend too I think) it still has higher value across the league.

Archived