2018's first Playoff Committee Rankings

naptownskinsfan

2 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

At Texas Tech.

How should Tech be ranked when yall got smoked in Houston vs freaking Ole miss,  you beat up on Lamar, and played 3-5 TCU and 3-5 Kansas?

I didn’t say we should be ranked. I said if UH should than we should too.

Tech has lost to #13 WVU, @ #24 Iowa State and neutral site vs Ole Miss. The Ole Miss loss looks the worst right now but it was week 1 and weird **** always happens in week 1. If we replayed them now we’d win by 20.

You also conveniently left off Tech beating the **** out of Houston (would have been 63-35 without the double forward pass and last min garbage time TD), and destroying Oklahoma State in Stillwater, which is more than anything Houston has done. 

1 minute ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

I didn’t say we should be ranked. I said if UH should than we should too.

Tech has lost to #13 WVU, @ #24 Iowa State and neutral site vs Ole Miss. The Ole Miss loss looks the worst right now but it was week 1 and weird **** always happens in week 1. If we replayed them now we’d win by 20.

You also conveniently left off Tech beating the **** out of Houston (would have been 63-35 without the double forward pass and last min garbage time TD), and destroying Oklahoma State in Stillwater, which is more than anything Houston has done. 

the game was 49-42 by the end of the 3rd quarter.  it was back and forth mostly the whole game.  if Houston played tech again Houston would win.  See I can play that game too.

14 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

the game was 49-42 by the end of the 3rd quarter.  it was back and forth mostly the whole game.  if Houston played tech again Houston would win.  See I can play that game too.

42* because you guys were allowed to do this lol

We also dropped a punt on our own 18 which led to a UH touchdown. And you guys scored with 67 seconds left down by 21.

The game wasn’t as close as the scoreboard indicated. 

UH shouldn’t be ranked until they beat actual teams.

3 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Confirmation UCF isn’t playoff bound FWIW. 

Things will shake out a bit more after this week. Should be a good weekend of football. The committee does what they want. A couple interesting picks, and I’m not sure I’m a big WSU believer. The process is just funny and so built up, because the final week, they just pick the 4 they want with whatever ambiguous criteria they want to use anyways. Fun for weekly speculation though.

WSU is screwed because the Pac-12 is barely represented in this.  There are a slew of average ACC teams though, not sure how Stanford or Washington aren't any better than some of those teams hanging out in the back end.  

UCF is definitely headed to at least be representing the Conference of Five in a New Years 6 bowl, that is their ceiling and they know it, despite the "playoff" push they made last year. 

5 SEC teams in the top 11 is a pretty strong indication to me that committee is going to put 2 SEC teams in the CFP. True, they did it last year so shouldn't come as a surprise, but it was dynasty Alabama as the 2nd SEC team they opted to put in. This year it'd be 2 loss LSU or Georgia. Question is which one, assuming they both win out but lose to Bama? Thinking LSU would get the nod since their loss to Bama would be less fresh in the CFP's mind, assuming both losses are in similar fashion (obviously if one team gets blown out, but the other kept it close, the latter would get in). Their lack of respect for Big 12 (WVU at #13) tells me they definitely could leave out a 1 loss Oklahoma for 1 of those 2 SEC teams. 

On 10/31/2018 at 8:06 AM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

5 SEC teams in the top 11 is a pretty strong indication to me that committee is going to put 2 SEC teams in the CFP. True, they did it last year so shouldn't come as a surprise, but it was dynasty Alabama as the 2nd SEC team they opted to put in. This year it'd be 2 loss LSU or Georgia. Question is which one, assuming they both win out but lose to Bama? Thinking LSU would get the nod since their loss to Bama would be less fresh in the CFP's mind, assuming both losses are in similar fashion (obviously if one team gets blown out, but the other kept it close, the latter would get in). Their lack of respect for Big 12 (WVU at #13) tells me they definitely could leave out a 1 loss Oklahoma for 1 of those 2 SEC teams. 

It's going to take quite a bit to put 2 SEC teams in the playoffs.  Right now, the only teams in the SEC without 2 losses are Alabama (9-0) and Georgia (8-1).  The only way we two SEC teams ends up playing in the playoffs is if Alabama loses to Georgia and/or there's a TON of chaos.  Clemson seems like a near lock to make the playoffs.  Assuming Oklahoma doesn't trip up against Oklahoma State, they are probably competing for a chance to go to the title with West Virginia.  The winner of Michigan and Ohio State likely gets a playoff spot based on conference strength.  Notre Dame likely needs to go undefeated to make the playoffs.  Washington State needs a TON of help to get into the playoffs with how bad the Pac 12 is.

TL;DR Alabama and Clemson are top 2.  Notre Dame is in if they win out.  Ohio State/Michigan gets the other spot.  Oklahoma needs help either with Notre Dame losing, or somehow Ohio State and Michigan ending up with 2 losses.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It's going to take quite a bit to put 2 SEC teams in the playoffs.  Right now, the only teams in the SEC without 2 losses are Alabama (9-0) and Georgia (8-1).  The only way we two SEC teams ends up playing in the playoffs is if Alabama loses to Georgia and/or there's a TON of chaos.  Clemson seems like a near lock to make the playoffs.  Assuming Oklahoma doesn't trip up against Oklahoma State, they are probably competing for a chance to go to the title with West Virginia.  The winner of Michigan and Ohio State likely gets a playoff spot based on conference strength.  Notre Dame likely needs to go undefeated to make the playoffs.  Washington State needs a TON of help to get into the playoffs with how bad the Pac 12 is.

TL;DR Alabama and Clemson are top 2.  Notre Dame is in if they win out.  Ohio State/Michigan gets the other spot.  Oklahoma needs help either with Notre Dame losing, or somehow Ohio State and Michigan ending up with 2 losses.

Georgia has to make it past a potential trap game against Auburn this weekend.  They can lose and still make it into the playoffs, but would need serious help from other teams, and the game would have to be very close and be decided near the end.  

I'm actually hoping that two SEC teams make it, as well as Notre Dame, because I'd like to see the playoffs expand to 6-8 teams and this would be the push needed.  

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

Georgia has to make it past a potential trap game against Auburn this weekend.  They can lose and still make it into the playoffs, but would need serious help from other teams, and the game would have to be very close and be decided near the end.  

I'm actually hoping that two SEC teams make it, as well as Notre Dame, because I'd like to see the playoffs expand to 6-8 teams and this would be the push needed.  

Again, it's going to be incredibly hard to take a 2-loss non-champ over a 1-loss conference champ no matter how strong you think the SEC is or the other conference isn't.  There's really no logic to support that.  Losing once to a team in the playoffs already?  Sure, I could get why people would believe that they deserve to make it.  But two losses and not a conference champ is going to kill it IMO.

Archived