Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

4 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

We traded out of our spot so they could pick him and drafted Kamalei Correa. I hate dwelling on the past but this one always stung. This and passing on Derwin James.

If it makes you feel any better, the 5th we received in that trade down was used to select Matt Judon. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

We traded out of our spot so they could pick him and drafted Kamalei Correa. I hate dwelling on the past but this one always stung. This and passing on Derwin James. 

Traded out from the Jack pick and THEN traded out of Xavien Howard to take Correa :(

The Derwin James trade back got us some ammo to later move up and get Lamar, so I'm not losing sleep over that yet.

So, those Stanley for Clowney ideas thrown about should have been more like Stanley for Clowney and 2 1sts ... lol I see no reason why Tunsil and Stanley would have much or any difference in value at the same point in their careers. The big, athletic and talented tackle may be the rarest of commodities in the league right now.

4 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

So, those Stanley for Clowney ideas thrown about should have been more like Stanley for Clowney and 2 1sts ... lol I see no reason why Tunsil and Stanley would have much or any difference in value at the same point in their careers. The big, athletic and talented tackle may be the rarest of commodities in the league right now.

Tunsil, like Stanley, is a proven Top 10 LT in the NFL with the ability to quickly ascend to Top 5 status. He just turned 25 years old. The Texans have their franchise QB, a franchise WR, and multiple high end defensive pieces.

They had a glaring hole at, in many's opinion, the 2nd most important position in football. I'm sure they looked at it like they were in the draft. Say they're picking in the late 20s as playoff teams frequently do. To get into the Top 5 to select a franchise LT they would easily have to give up more draft capital then they ended up losing in this deal. Tunsil over aged at 24 going on 25, exact same situation as Hayden Hurst, would 100% still be a 1st Rounder. Except they aren't trading up for an unproven Rookie hopeful, they're getting a legit NFL high end starter- at a premier/keystone position. Then they get a 4th, 6th, and Kenny Stills added in on top of it. - For a team that no longer has Andrew Luck to deal with, it was an exceptionally prudent move. Their time is now.

As you said Wacky, these high end LTs are just impossible to find. The Clowney deal was stupid, and as a whole that organization is super sketchy, but I don't think this was a bad deal for them in the end. So long as they work out his contract situation, they're that much closer to a ring.

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

So long as they work out his contract situation,

Tunsil's contract will be a big component in figuring out Stanley's btw, and vice versa. Hopefully the process doesn't drag out and Tunsil doesn't use his insane leverage to rope a bonkers deal. 

46 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Tunsil's contract will be a big component in figuring out Stanley's btw, and vice versa. Hopefully the process doesn't drag out and Tunsil doesn't use his insane leverage to rope a bonkers deal. 

Which means we should get our deal struck first... or try to at least. Stanley has played better than Tunsil by the accounts I’ve heard and I’d hate for our franchise to be forced to overspend because the Texans franchise is a dumpster fire at the front office level.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Which means we should get our deal struck first... or try to at least. Stanley has played better than Tunsil by the accounts I’ve heard and I’d hate for our franchise to be forced to overspend because the Texans franchise is a dumpster fire at the front office level.

Yea. Stanley is a better player. Certainly more versatile with his ability in the running game, as well as pass pro. Tunsil is more of a one note lineman. Stanley is cleaner off the field too obviously. 

EDC wanted to try and extend guys like Marlon, Judon, and Stanley this last offseason. In the end we only got Tavon done lol. Judon is going for a max deal in the coming offseason, which we won't give unless he actually turns into an elite player. It was reported that they're working on the Stanley extension, but it's been quiet on that front lately. And Marlon would've been stupid to work a deal this early. AJ Bouye got a 70 million dollar deal in 2017. I'm guessing Marlon will clear 100 million when he signs. 

At least Michael Pierce drove his price down :S.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Hopefully the process doesn't drag out and Tunsil doesn't use his insane leverage to rope a bonkers deal. 

Tunsil would be crazy not to.  Giving up that sort of draft capital for a QB or a defensive player would usually end up in a setting a new position record of some kind (like Mack last year)

6 hours ago, DreamKid said:

EDC wanted to try and extend guys like Marlon, Judon, and Stanley this last offseason. In the end we only got Tavon done lol. Judon is going for a max deal in the coming offseason, which we won't give unless he actually turns into an elite player. It was reported that they're working on the Stanley extension, but it's been quiet on that front lately. And Marlon would've been stupid to work a deal this early. AJ Bouye got a 70 million dollar deal in 2017. I'm guessing Marlon will clear 100 million when he signs. 

At least the part about Marlon was a false report. You literally can't extend a player until their 4th season. Stanley, I'm sure they are/have been talking to.

• Like 2