Brit Pack

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Depends on what your definition of efficient is:

2013: Broken collarbone
2014: Calf tear
2016: Offseason clean-up surgery on knee from high school injury
2017: Broken collarbone
2018: MCL sprain, third reported concussion

A little more running game might not be a bad idea.

Running is inefficient though. The best YPA running the ball in 2018 was Aaron Jones at 5.5. The following qualified QBs had worst ANY/A than 5.5 in 2018: Case Keenum, Blake Bortles, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, Ryan Tannehill. The best runningback in the NFL has similar per play efficiency of the worst starting QBs in the league.

28 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

The only knock you can have on Jones is the MCL sprains. Which is a totally valid point.

Yeah. Honestly I'm a little worried about him with injuries overall but it truthfully might not be justified. Just a gut feeling as much as anything that he can't hold up to be true "volume" top 3 back.

2 minutes ago, Norm said:

Yeah. Honestly I'm a little worried about him with injuries overall but it truthfully might not be justified. Just a gut feeling as much as anything that he can't hold up to be true "volume" top 3 back.

I don't think there are any bellcow backs in the league anymore. Everyone seems to be heading towards committee approach.

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Depends on what your definition of efficient is:

I mean, the ideal state for running the ball in the 2019 NFL is pretty much:

-you are effective enough at running the ball when the defensive alignment favors it on non-obvious passing downs, that defenses are disinclined to do so.

-you are able to run the ball effectively enough in situations where game situations dictate it (e.g. short yardage, 4-minute drill.)

Just now, rcon14 said:

Running is inefficient though. The best YPA running the ball in 2018 was Aaron Jones at 5.5. The following qualified QBs had worst ANY/A than 5.5 in 2018: Case Keenum, Blake Bortles, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, Ryan Tannehill. The best runningback in the NFL has similar per play efficiency of the worst starting QBs in the league.

Tell that to MLF. I dont need the stat breakdown. Word is that he's considering running more. Convince him.
All I'm saying is we'd better have a RB3 that can get on the field and contribute....for reasons already cited.

In theory - say we bypass the skill positions entirely. Dont pickup anybody new to step in and just go OL/DL/EDGE/S and backups.
All we've got is Jones and Williams. Take one - any one - of them out of the equation. How's our running game gonna look then?
Thats all I'm saying.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Tell that to MLF. I dont need the stat breakdown. Word is that he's considering running more. Convince him.
All I'm saying is we'd better have a RB3 that can get on the field and contribute....for reasons already cited.

In theory - say we bypass the skill positions entirely. Dont pickup anybody new to step in and just go OL/DL/EDGE/S and backups.
All we've got is Jones and Williams. Take one - any one - of them out of the equation. How's our running game gonna look then?
Thats all I'm saying.

My point is, if we're running the ball that much, it doesn't matter how we allocate the roster, we've already messed up. The rest of the conversation is pointless.

Just now, rcon14 said:

My point is, if we're running the ball that much, it doesn't matter how we allocate the roster, we've already messed up. The rest of the conversation is pointless.

I never said how much we'd be running the ball - other than to say MLF has talked about doing it more.

You defined it in terms of 40% - not me - so you're disagreeing with yourself.

Just now, Leader said:

I never said how much we'd be running the ball - other than to say MLF has talked about doing it more.

You defined it in terms of 40% - not me - so you're disagreeing with yourself.

I'm saying that if we run the ball a bunch (trying to achieve some antiquated idea of "balance" that is just some BS), I don't really care how many RBs we have or who they are. The low hanging fruit has already been missed, and we'll be costing ourselves so many yards/points per week that the rest of the conversations are rather irrelevant.

1 minute ago, rcon14 said:

I'm saying that if we run the ball a bunch (trying to achieve some antiquated idea of "balance" that is just some BS), I don't really care how many RBs we have or who they are. The low hanging fruit has already been missed, and we'll be costing ourselves so many yards/points per week that the rest of the conversations are rather irrelevant.

Whatever the %'s are - we could stand to run the ball more and do a better job at it. It would actually enhance the passing game is D's had to give it some attention and could shorten games / giving our D some sideline time. Personally, I dont care. Only comment is (apparently) MLF cares - in which case - we'd better bulk up with another somebody (vet/rookie - you pick) so can contribute - again - primarily as a hedge against injury to AJ (more likely) or Williams.

Just now, Leader said:

Whatever the %'s are - we could stand to run the ball more and do a better job at it. It would actually enhance the passing game is D's had to give it some attention and could shorten games / giving our D some sideline time. Personally, I dont care. Only comment is (apparently) MLF cares - in which case - we'd better bulk up with another somebody (vet/rookie - you pick) so can contribute - again - primarily as a hedge against injury to AJ (more likely) or Williams.

I disagree that we should be running the ball more. Only run the ball into light boxes, which is going to happen far less than the %s that NFL teams run the ball.

3 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

If posting on this site is pointless because none of us can talk to decision makers than this forum sure wouldn't last very long.

?
It was a simple comment and concept. Talking about it is fine. Beating it to death isnt necessary simply because its not a complex matter.
Points made, understood. Points repeated and understood again. Shall we go thru it a 3rd or 4th time? I personally dont need to.
Points made and understood - the first time.