How many wins will it take for the Chargers...

Zappaz

21 hours ago, Non-Issue said:

And yet there are teams more valuable that don't play in a city named NY or LA.

Which of those markets is vacant?

If you really think the Chargers are going to leave a market with 20 million people, that they've committed a billion dollars in relocation fees and moving costs to with a state of the art arena coming, to play somewhere like Tulsa then be my guest.

We'll see how the next 5-10 years plays out.

47 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

Which of those markets is vacant?

If you really think the Chargers are going to leave a market with 20 million people, that they've committed a billion dollars in relocation fees and moving costs to with a state of the art arena coming, to play somewhere like Tulsa then be my guest.

We'll see how the next 5-10 years plays out.

I absolutely think the Chargers are going to leave a market that has already been cornered by another NFL team, where they have to pay rent to play, and where their merch and ad revenue aren't valued, in order to get a lucrative stadium deal in another city where they aren't second fiddle and they don't have to pay to play. Not sure where Tulsa is coming from. I can't imagine that is the first city you think of when it comes to cities/markets without an NFL team. 

I plan on bumping this thread within 5 years. The Chargers have absolutely no future in Los Angeles.

18 hours ago, Non-Issue said:

I absolutely think the Chargers are going to leave a market that has already been cornered by another NFL team, where they have to pay rent to play, and where their merch and ad revenue aren't valued, in order to get a lucrative stadium deal in another city where they aren't second fiddle and they don't have to pay to play. Not sure where Tulsa is coming from. I can't imagine that is the first city you think of when it comes to cities/markets without an NFL team. 

I plan on bumping this thread within 5 years. The Chargers have absolutely no future in Los Angeles.

You seem to be missing the point.

Secondary teams still do fine in large markets. The Clippers/White Sox/Angels/Jets/Mets are all very profitable franchises, despite all of them being mediocre more often than not. Keep in mind that the primary teams in these teams cities (Lakers/Cubs/Dodgers/Giants/Yankees) are all among the premiere franchises of professional sports with rich histories in all of their cities. The Rams aren't even close to the level of those franchises yet. There is zero reason that the Chargers cannot do at least as well, if not better than the secondary teams I just named in the long term.

4 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

You seem to be missing the point.

Secondary teams still do fine in large markets. The Clippers/White Sox/Angels/Jets/Mets are all very profitable franchises, despite all of them being mediocre more often than not. Keep in mind that the primary teams in these teams cities (Lakers/Cubs/Dodgers/Giants/Yankees) are all among the premiere franchises of professional sports with rich histories in all of their cities. The Rams aren't even close to the level of those franchises yet. There is zero reason that the Chargers cannot do at least as well, if not better than the secondary teams I just named in the long term.

I understand it just fine. I have argued the exact same point in the past when pointing out how many butts were in seats when the Raiders and Rams were both in LA. And I will point out that the Raiders were putting more butts in seats for pre-season games going into their second year in Los Angeles than the Chargers are putting in seats now... during the regular season.

The problem is that Los Angeles does not want a second team (especially the Chargers). Angelinos were clear about that before the Chargers came and have openly refused to participate since the move. This isn't a simple "lack of interest." This is open rebellion. The Los Angeles market is speaking. They are saying, "We dont want you. We wont support you."

The Chargers are a playoff bound 7-3 team that can't sell 26,000 tickets in a market of 20 million people. Think about that. This is their second year in Los Angeles, theyre playing well, and the only reason they come close to averaging 26,000 in attendance is because of opposing fans. This isnt a small town. This isnt an unpopular sport. This isnt a suck *** team. And they can't put 26,000 people in the seats.

It's like when we tried the metric system. Or changing the silver dollar. Or new Coke. Some things you can read immediately. Some things you can look at and say, "Yeah... this isn't going to work."

1 hour ago, Non-Issue said:

I understand it just fine. I have argued the exact same point in the past when pointing out how many butts were in seats when the Raiders and Rams were both in LA. And I will point out that the Raiders were putting more butts in seats for pre-season games going into their second year in Los Angeles than the Chargers are putting in seats now... during the regular season.

The problem is that Los Angeles does not want a second team (especially the Chargers). Angelinos were clear about that before the Chargers came and have openly refused to participate since the move. This isn't a simple "lack of interest." This is open rebellion. The Los Angeles market is speaking. They are saying, "We dont want you. We wont support you."

The Chargers are a playoff bound 7-3 team that can't sell 26,000 tickets in a market of 20 million people. Think about that. This is their second year in Los Angeles, theyre playing well, and the only reason they come close to averaging 26,000 in attendance is because of opposing fans. This isnt a small town. This isnt an unpopular sport. This isnt a suck *** team. And they can't put 26,000 people in the seats.

It's like when we tried the metric system. Or changing the silver dollar. Or new Coke. Some things you can read immediately. Some things you can look at and say, "Yeah... this isn't going to work."

The Chargers sell out every game, you have been told this multiple times and continue to just ignore it. You are being intellectually dishonest when you continue to repeat your point about the Chargers not selling tickets. I'm an LA resident myself, the only game I've gone to is the Rams/Chargers game because that was the only game I could afford. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation and I'm sure that's why there was a fairly large turnout of Chargers fans at that game. 

Also: The LA NFL Market isn't just LA. It's LA County, Orange County, Riverside County, Ventura County, San Bernardino County, Santa Barbara County, San Diego County and Imperial County. This literally is over 20 million people, the NFL is not going to let a team abandon that market for a market of a couple million and to think that they would is to be detached from the reality of the modern NFL.

Many people have told you this, but you continue to ignore them. The Chargers have been in LA 2 years. This isn't a move that can be judged already, it's something that needs to be judged over 20 years. And more likely than not, they will be fine in the long run in such a large market, because ultimately they can literally get less than 10% of the fan support that they would in a smaller market like San Antonio or St. Louis and still make more money than they would in either of those markets.

38 minutes ago, Classic said:

It was a Sea of Orange at the stub hub again and I can't imagine that ever changes unless we win a few Super Bowls and get a few bandwagoners on our side.

The thing is that it was like that in San Diego. It's like that for the Rams in a lot of their home games as well. LA Is a transplant city, so was San Diego.

1 hour ago, Bolts223 said:

The thing is that it was like that in San Diego. It's like that for the Rams in a lot of their home games as well. LA Is a transplant city, so was San Diego.

It’s weird. Because bad teams still support their teams. The rams had that when we moved to LA, but the fan base turned against team because of fisher. That first year in and in the pre season, they were breaking attendance records IIRC. And were a top of the league in attendance. Just hard to strike when the irons hot. 

7 minutes ago, El ramster said:

It’s weird. Because bad teams still support their teams. The rams had that when we moved to LA, but the fan base turned against team because of fisher. That first year in and in the pre season, they were breaking attendance records IIRC. And were a top of the league in attendance. Just hard to strike when the irons hot. 

I mean I think there was always going to be an initial spark just because the NFL was returning to LA after having been gone for over two decades. The Rams are one of the best teams in the league now and they still have other teams fans taking over the stadium. This is mostly just a SoCal sports thing, I was at the WS in LA and there were a ton of Red Sox fans there as well. When USC or UCLA play a big name school it's not unusual to see it be half fans of the visiting team.

Lakers may be the only exception to this rule, but tbh I hardly follow the NBA. I wouldn't be surprised if even the Lakers games are half fans of the visiting team if it's a team like the Celtics/Warriors/Bulls in town.

14 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

I mean I think there was always going to be an initial spark just because the NFL was returning to LA after having been gone for over two decades. The Rams are one of the best teams in the league now and they still have other teams fans taking over the stadium. This is mostly just a SoCal sports thing, I was at the WS in LA and there were a ton of Red Sox fans there as well. When USC or UCLA play a big name school it's not unusual to see it be half fans of the visiting team.

Lakers may be the only exception to this rule, but tbh I hardly follow the NBA. I wouldn't be surprised if even the Lakers games are half fans of the visiting team if it's a team like the Celtics/Warriors/Bulls in town.

But again, transplant city or not, the Rams are putting 76,000 butts in seats. Your argument is that the NFL doesn't care who theyre selling tickets to as long as they're selling tickets. And I keep pointing out that San Diego is not selling tickets. Even with most of the stadium rooting for the other team, they still can't sell 26,000 tickets. In their second year. With a great record. In the Rams return season, at their worst, Jeff Fisher in tow and Case Keenum stinking up the joint, the Rams (and opposing fans) drew 74,000 spectators. That is 3 times what the Chargers are drawing. Good enough for 7th best average in the NFL. And they were absolutely terrible. Almost unwatchable.

It shouldn't be hard for an NFL team to sell 26,000 tickets in any city under any circumstances. Yet the Chargers, surrounded by 20 million people and playing good football, can't do it.

Angelinos can't spell it out any clearer. They don't want the Chargers.

On 11/19/2018 at 12:15 PM, Non-Issue said:

But again, transplant city or not, the Rams are putting 76,000 butts in seats. Your argument is that the NFL doesn't care who theyre selling tickets to as long as they're selling tickets. And I keep pointing out that San Diego is not selling tickets. Even with most of the stadium rooting for the other team, they still can't sell 26,000 tickets. In their second year. With a great record. In the Rams return season, at their worst, Jeff Fisher in tow and Case Keenum stinking up the joint, the Rams (and opposing fans) drew 74,000 spectators. That is 3 times what the Chargers are drawing. Good enough for 7th best average in the NFL. And they were absolutely terrible. Almost unwatchable.

It shouldn't be hard for an NFL team to sell 26,000 tickets in any city under any circumstances. Yet the Chargers, surrounded by 20 million people and playing good football, can't do it.

Angelinos can't spell it out any clearer. They don't want the Chargers.

Tickets at the Stubhub Center are like twice as expensive as the collossuem. Also: The chargers do sell out almost every game, I’m not sure how many times that needs to be repeated to you. If you think that attendance is going to be under 30,000 in the new stadium, you are in for a big shock. Even if it was (which it won’t) The Patriots of the early 90’s had like 22,000 show up to some of their home games in a stadium built for 60k, narratives can change very drastically in the NFL over the course of a few decades. This is why judging this move after 2 years is stupid.

Archived