How many wins will it take for the Chargers...

Zappaz

34 minutes ago, Zappaz said:

I mean silent counts at "home" because the stadium is 90% opposing team and this happened in LA and SD.

yeah, ummm sorry about that. We went a couple of times, it was 50/50 Packers-Chargers fans at The Murph
But that's not a reflection of San Diego Charger fans themselves or Rivers talent  -  its just a reflection of the fact that a whole bunch of us moved out there. 
Tons of transplants in LA, OC, SD and AZ and they'll all show up in big numbers, paying big bucks for tix.
Of course, moving the team out of San Diego didn't help either...but enjoy your season either way. They're looking good

Also  - If you need some action in your forum, I have a list of especially insightful posters I'd be super- happy to send your way. B|

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

yeah, ummm sorry about that. We went a couple of times, it was 50/50 Packers-Chargers fans at The Murph
But that's not a reflection of San Diego Charger fans themselves or Rivers talent  -  its just a reflection of the fact that a whole bunch of us moved out there. 
Tons of transplants in LA, OC, SD and AZ and they'll all show up in big numbers, paying big bucks for tix.
Of course, moving the team out of San Diego didn't help either...but enjoy your season either way. They're looking good

Also  - If you need some action in your forum, I have a list of especially insightful posters I'd be super- happy to send your way. B|

Yeah I definitely understand the transplant thing. I live in North Carolina where basically every other person you talk to came from PA or NY (my family included lol). 

Never

LA’s already a tough enough sports city anyways. No football team will ever overtake the Lakers, it’s just not happening. So even the team that wins supremacy will still only be second banana. The Rams are legitimately the best team in the NFL and a team like Green Bay just had a homegame there. That’s how rough it is. Meanwhile the Rams and Raiders (who are only going to be a few hours outside LA) have a a longer history in the city and more loyalty. Also you essentially moved a San Diego team to a rival city. You basically lost a huge portion of Chargers fans off that. So you put them in a terrible situation and also cut them off at the knees going uphill. 

It really doesn’t matter. If they won the Super Bowl they’d get some bandwagon fans but barely enough to matter. The city just really doesn’t care about them and they aren’t the preferred team. It’s like if the Clippers won the NBA Championship, most  fans would just resent that it wasn’t the Lakers

The Chargers spited one fanbase for another one that doesn’t want them. And quite frankly, there’s a reason LA went so long without a team. Even after the Lakers I doubt they’d overtake UCLA it USC

I'll just share my story quickly.

I was born and raised in Australia. Never been to the US in my life - but I got interested in the sport at a young age and chose the Chargers as my team. This was in 2004. Brees put on an awesome year and we made the playoffs. Fast forward and I fell in love with Rivers once he takes over. I've followed this team from afar only for them to lose in unimaginable ways.

The first thing that really pissed me off was the management firing Schottenheimer.. Then we treated LT with a lack of respect, he wanted to and should have retired a Charger. The ownership/management stinks and don't deserve a superbowl. Then they move the team to LA and alienate their entire fan base.. Not a team I want to support despite not being from SD.

Funnily enough I still watch and support them as much as I ever did, but only until Rivers and Gates hang them up.. I especially want to see Rivers get a ring before it's all said and done. If he were to move teams for the end of his career I would likely support that new team. 

I'll probably continue to be  caasual observer of the game in a couple years but don't think I will have a favourite team again.

So yeah, moving to LA was such a dumb, dumb, dumb thing to do.

7 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Market them as Mexico's team? 

Do what Manchester United did and play Park Ji-Sung and effectively secure the support of 50million koreans, plus an extent of hundreds more millions who identified with and as East Asian. Park was pretty good to boot, so perhaps draft the next Hispanic stud and go for the Mexican/Hispanic support :D 

Did you miss that their franchise leader in virtually every quarterbacking stat is Felipe Rios?

LA’s already a tough enough sports city anyways. No football team will ever overtake the Lakers, it’s just not happening. So even the team that wins supremacy will still only be second banana. 

True, but you don't have to be a top banana to be successful in LA. 

I don't think some people realize just how big the Los Angeles area really is. There are a lot of people there and the Chargers could convert some if they were marketed right (which they aren't, which is part of the problem at the moment). 

On 11/12/2018 at 7:54 PM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

It will never happen. The Chargers were a small fan base to begin with, and then the NFL/Spanos went and made the fan base even smaller by having them move to LA right after the Rams returned to LA. That team that moved to LA before you? Not only did they already have a pre-existing fanbase in LA, who since 94 either weren't following any team or latched on to another team they would drop the moment LA football came back, but they play in a real NFL stadium, and they had success first, going 11-5 last year. It's truly unfortunate.

You forgot to mention that they're also division rivals with the other former LA team, the Raiders. Which means that the two largest fanbases in the city, the Rams and the Raiders, are unlikely to convert. Most of the rest of the city have adopted to be fans of other teams. So they're really just kinda hoping that people just getting into the sport will choose them. And while the Chargers have been good this year, the Rams have been better so unaligned fans will likely look in that direction. It's kinda a mess for LAC.

Never probably. Even in the mid 00s when they were constantly going to the playoffs and having 12, 13, and 14 win seasons they never REALLY developed a big fanbase. The franchise has only had back-to-back losing seasons twice since 2000 while having a Hall of Fame QB, RB, and TE play with them. Not to mention All-Pros at linebacker and WR. Short of winning a Super Bowl there wasn't much else the Chargers could have really done. If the Jets last 20 years were like the Chargers they'd be one of the biggest and most active forums here.

19 hours ago, game3525 said:

True, but you don't have to be a top banana to be successful in LA. 

I don't think some people realize just how big the Los Angeles area really is. There are a lot of people there and the Chargers could convert some if they were marketed right (which they aren't, which is part of the problem at the moment). 

I get that it's huge but there's just an incredibly small percentage of the population that would potentially convert. Let's examine. For someone to become a Chargers fan they need to be:

1. Interested in watching the NFL (obviously).
2. Not already a fan of the Rams
3. Not already a fan of the Raiders
4. Not already a fan of any other NFL team (most who were willing to convert to a home team already did so with the Rams due to them entering the market 1 year sooner). Seahawks, 49ers, and Cardinals fans willing to convert to a home team may be a notable exception as they would be unlikely to align to the Rams.

So, this leaves people who younger, or haven't followed the NFL closely enough to pick a favorite team yet (or people who have followed a rival NFC West team). And if you're one of those individuals, why would you choose the Chargers over the Rams? The Chargers have been good, but the Rams are arguably the best team in the NFL (and you've been exposed to them for 1 year more).

The way I see it the Chargers needed to significantly outplay the Rams to have any chance of attracting LA fans. But that has simply not happened.

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I get that it's huge but there's just an incredibly small percentage of the population that would potentially convert.

I felt the same exact way, but in the San Diego paper they detailed the numbers and it points to what game3525 was saying. From a revenue point of view ( ratings and merchandise) grabbing only a small part of the LA market ( less than 10%) is more lucrative than 70% of the SD market. They don't need many converts to make it work - some of that is pure population and some of that is the Fortune 500 Corporate giants that are concentrated in LA/OC.

4 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I get that it's huge but there's just an incredibly small percentage of the population that would potentially convert. Let's examine. For someone to become a Chargers fan they need to be:

1. Interested in watching the NFL (obviously).
2. Not already a fan of the Rams
3. Not already a fan of the Raiders
4. Not already a fan of any other NFL team (most who were willing to convert to a home team already did so with the Rams due to them entering the market 1 year sooner). Seahawks, 49ers, and Cardinals fans willing to convert to a home team may be a notable exception as they would be unlikely to align to the Rams.

So, this leaves people who younger, or haven't followed the NFL closely enough to pick a favorite team yet (or people who have followed a rival NFC West team). And if you're one of those individuals, why would you choose the Chargers over the Rams? The Chargers have been good, but the Rams are arguably the best team in the NFL (and you've been exposed to them for 1 year more).

The way I see it the Chargers needed to significantly outplay the Rams to have any chance of attracting LA fans. But that has simply not happened.

I reckon...

1. People who are interested in the NFL

2. Chargers win the SB, be a perennial playoff team for a few years 

3. Watch the fan base grow, regardless of who they were fans of before

....worked for us. Hehe.

Archived