How many wins will it take for the Chargers...

Zappaz

On 14/11/2018 at 2:16 AM, BayRaider said:

Cardinals team this year is the definition of a zombie apocalypse.

And they still managed their only two wins against my beloved Niners - aaarrrggghhh!!!  So if they're zombies, what the hell does that make the Niners secondary? :)

The steps to success:

1.  Have Spanos family sell the team.

2.  Move back to San Diego.

3.  NFL fronts the stadium cost 50/50 with new owner.

San Diego has the 2nd biggest available market, next to San Antonio.  

Until then, it's going to be hard for the Chargers to have a big fanbase.    Go back to SD, however, without the Spanos family....and you've got a shot.

Obviously I'm talking big-picture, not just FF lol. 

3 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I felt the same exact way, but in the San Diego paper they detailed the numbers and it points to what game3525 was saying. From a revenue point of view ( ratings and merchandise) grabbing only a small part of the LA market ( less than 10%) is more lucrative than 70% of the SD market. They don't need many converts to make it work - some of that is pure population and some of that is the Fortune 500 Corporate giants that are concentrated in LA/OC.

Exactly. 

This is why Spanos was willing to move. 

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

The steps to success:

1.  Have Spanos family sell the team.

2.  Move back to San Diego.

3.  NFL fronts the stadium cost 50/50 with new owner.

San Diego has the 2nd biggest available market, next to San Antonio.  

Until then, it's going to be hard for the Chargers to have a big fanbase.    Go back to SD, however, without the Spanos family....and you've got a shot.

Obviously I'm talking big-picture, not just FF lol. 

Our fan base was really never that big even when we were in SD. And honestly I don't even care that much about having a giant fan base. I would like a bigger one than we have now, obviously.

I think the Chargers best chance is to just be a consistent winning team for a sustained period of time. Tolesco and the front office has proven the last 5 years or so that they are pretty good at finding quality NFL players whether it be through the draft or free agency. If they are able to find a successor to Rivers in 2-3 years time there is no reason to think that they can't at the minimum be a team that is consistently in the playoff picture every year.

People say the Chargers are one of the worst run franchises in the NFL, but I really don't think that is true from a football ops standpoint. Yes the move was horrible and some of the ways you see them try to market the franchise is painful to watch. (Fight for LA commercial makes me wanna hurl)

Having that been said, I'd go as far to say that they are one of the better ran franchises from a football ops perspective. Dean has been pretty hands off in recent years, and John seems to actually have a good understanding of the game. Tolesco has proven that he is very good at not only hitting on first round picks (Bosa, Gordon, James... even Verrett was very good until injuries ruined his career) but he is also able to find solid NFL players in later rounds and with UDFA's (King, Allen, Tyrell Williams, Ekeler, Addae). That isn't to mention some of the steals we have gotten in FA like Hayward, Pouncey and Okung.

I don't think we will ever be a franchise like the Packers, Steelers, Cowboys, etc. That having been said, if we are consistently competitive and competing for the playoffs every year, I would imagine that a lot of Ex-SD fans will come crawling back and we may even gain a few fans particularly in South LA County, Orange County and Riverside county. And considering how heavily populated SoCal is, that should be enough to be respectable.

3 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Our fan base was really never that big even when we were in SD. And honestly I don't even care that much about having a giant fan base. I would like a bigger one than we have now, obviously.

I think the Chargers best chance is to just be a consistent winning team for a sustained period of time. Tolesco and the front office has proven the last 5 years or so that they are pretty good at finding quality NFL players whether it be through the draft or free agency. If they are able to find a successor to Rivers in 2-3 years time there is no reason to think that they can't at the minimum be a team that is consistently in the playoff picture every year.

People say the Chargers are one of the worst run franchises in the NFL, but I really don't think that is true from a football ops standpoint. Yes the move was horrible and some of the ways you see them try to market the franchise is painful to watch. (Fight for LA commercial makes me wanna hurl)

Having that been said, I'd go as far to say that they are one of the better ran franchises from a football ops perspective. Dean has been pretty hands off in recent years, and John seems to actually have a good understanding of the game. Tolesco has proven that he is very good at not only hitting on first round picks (Bosa, Gordon, James... even Verrett was very good until injuries ruined his career) but he is also able to find solid NFL players in later rounds and with UDFA's (King, Allen, Tyrell Williams, Ekeler, Addae). That isn't to mention some of the steals we have gotten in FA like Hayward, Pouncey and Okung.

I don't think we will ever be a franchise like the Packers, Steelers, Cowboys, etc. That having been said, if we are consistently competitive and competing for the playoffs every year, I would imagine that a lot of Ex-SD fans will come crawling back and we may even gain a few fans particularly in South LA County, Orange County and Riverside county. And considering how heavily populated SoCal is, that should be enough to be respectable.

After a really rough first couple of years, Telesco has really developed a good scouting department - the last 3 drafts (while it's early, 2018 returns are already paying off with James, that was a total gift for him to drop that far) have been stellar.    Plus, getting rid of McCoy as HC and putting in even an average HC would have been a plus alone, but Lynn seems to get it.

Just avoid having Lynn playing it too safe in-game (didn't like what he did in SEA going run-run-pass early in the 4Q after they were killing the SEA D, and their clock management vs. TEN was pretty suspect, after a very strong first 8 games), and hopefully Badgley can stop giving away points that Sturgis was really good at doing, and you've got something there this year, provided Bosa comes back.   Next year, with Henry and Perryman back in the fold, man, that's a powerhouse roster (doubt Verrett returns, too much $ given his risk).

Just now, Broncofan said:

After a really rough first couple of years, Telesco has really developed a good scouting department - the last 3 drafts (while it's early, 2018 returns are already paying off with James, that was a total gift for him to drop that far) have been stellar.    Plus, getting rid of McCoy as HC and putting in even an average HC would have been a plus.

Just avoid having Lynn play it too safe (didn't like what he did in SEA going run-run-pass early in the 4Q after they were killing the SEA D, and their clock management vs. TEN was pretty suspect, after a very strong first 8 games), and hopefully Badgley can stop giving away points that Sturgis was really good at doing, and you've got something there this year, provided Bosa comes back.   Next year, with Henry and Perryman back in the fold, man, that's a powerhouse roster (doubt Verrett returns, too much $ given his risk).

I'm pretty confident is saying that Lynn is at least an average HC. He's obviously not perfect, but it's an obvious culture change from what we had with McCoy and Norv. He holds everyone accountable (Even veteran players like Rivers/Gates/Ingram/Allen) and what I like most about him is that he himself was a player who made the most of an NFL career after not being a very sought after prospect coming out of college. I think that is part of why we have seen the emergence of a lot of these types of players like Ekeler, Phillips, Rochell, etc. 

Also, Lynn has learned from a lot of his mistakes to be fair to him. He goes for it a lot more on 4th & short than he was at the beginning of 2017. 

Just avoid having Lynn playing it too safe in-game (didn't like what he did in SEA going run-run-pass early in the 4Q after they were killing the SEA D, and their clock management vs. TEN was pretty suspect, after a very strong first 8 games), and hopefully Badgley can stop giving away points that Sturgis was really good at doing, and you've got something there this year, provided Bosa comes back.   Next year, with Henry and Perryman back in the fold, man, that's a powerhouse roster (doubt Verrett returns, too much $ given his risk).

Lynn has some issues with game management (particularly when it comes to 4th down), but some of this is on Rivers and Whiz. 17 has a lot of leeway when it comes to play-calling and some of these predictable runs were happening under McCoy and even Norv. At some point you have to look at the QB.

2 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Lynn has some issues with game management (particularly when it comes to 4th down), but some of this is on Rivers and Whiz. 17 has a lot of leeway when it comes to play-calling and some of these predictable runs were happening under McCoy and even Norv. At some point you have to look at the QB.

I partially agree, but I've seen a number of times Rivers flip out over the play call as well. Curious just how much freedom he really has on those. 

4 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

I'm pretty confident is saying that Lynn is at least an average HC. He's obviously not perfect, but it's an obvious culture change from what we had with McCoy and Norv. He holds everyone accountable (Even veteran players like Rivers/Gates/Ingram/Allen) and what I like most about him is that he himself was a player who made the most of an NFL career after not being a very sought after prospect coming out of college. I think that is part of why we have seen the emergence of a lot of these types of players like Ekeler, Phillips, Rochell, etc. 

Also, Lynn has learned from a lot of his mistakes to be fair to him. He goes for it a lot more on 4th & short than he was at the beginning of 2017. 

Yeah I’m not down on Lynn at all.   I just want him to stay aggressive.  Too many teams HC’s lose their edge over time.   If you have a good unit you believe in them.  Playing kill-the-clock only makes sense if the odds are so much in your favor only mistakes can bring a team back.   Hopefully we see that aggression of going for it on 4th and short or letting the O win games (rather than McCoy’s don’t lose play calling that lost so many games they should have won) continue. 

Archived