You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I guess there's a reason they call it "probability" and not "certainty".

Can't say I'm impressed by finding examples of improbable events ;)

All this said, what have McVay or Shanahan actually accomplished so far??

Why do you insist on taking away from what McVay has accomplished in LA? Goff wasn't nearly the QB he is now under Jeff Fisher and in fact, before McVay came to LA there was a lot of skepticism on whether or not the Rams made the right call drafting Goff. McVay did an excellent job grooming him for his system and in fact, his tactics with the headset were really well documented in making things as simple as possible for Goff. Robert Woods wasn't on the team and neither was Kupp when he joined. Literally, that offense had Todd Gurley, a depleted WR core and a QB that people were questioning. 

Let's not pretend that McVay walked into a dream job scenario when taking over the LA Rams. Let's not knock what this guy has done for the Rams and pretend that he inherited this amazing Roster. He didn't and if you want to credit the GM you're welcome to do so but you would be ignorant/foolish to think that McVay didn't have a hand in helping select offensive players that he felt fit his system.

Just now, Gopher Trace said:

I don't.

Hundo may not have been starter material, but he did not lack for talent. Good arm, nice wheels, and the so-called QB Guru had three years to work with the guy. You are not going to get much better from your backup QB.

The problem is that when stubborn Mike was not playing it safe to the extreme with him, he was then trying to play him like Aaron Rodgers. Hundley is not Rodgers. They should have played him like a Vick or Colin Kaepernick (whom, by the way, he vehemently denied having any need for because the QB room was right where he wanted it or something -- more reason why he should not be let off the hook for Hundley). The guy was very effective when using his legs, yet our fool coach refused to showcase that and kept trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

In fact, palmy50 had some pretty similar comments about Hundley and how the problem was about system-fit more than talent. Belichick can adapt to not having TB12 and starting Jacoby Brissett. That's why he's a great coach, and MM isn't.

Do you honestly think MM should stand in front of a microphone and run Hundley down? What do you expect him to say?

"Yeah......well, I actually dont have any control over the roster, but I sure do wish we could get Colin in here"

You know any HC that treats his players that way?

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Do you honestly think MM should stand in front of a microphone and run Hundley down? What do you expect him to say?

"Yeah......well, I actually dont have any control over the roster, but I sure do wish we could get Colin in here"

Hue Jackson says hey -- loool.

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Arians has actually pined for a player not on the roster instead of the current player?

I severely doubt it.

Nah, I meant Hue Jackson. I was just thinking about potential head coaches for Green Bay when I wrote Arians. He's kinda been on my mind lately. Plus, I was more meaning along the lines of treating his players like **** and throwing them under the bus lol. I did immediately edit it to Hue Jackson though! Surprised you were able to quote it that quick with Arians still there -- be less quick please.

14 minutes ago, Leader said:

This issue is well beside the broader point, although if it really matters to you, then one could easily give a nothing answer like: "We will always do our due diligence on ways to make our team better" which does not in any way put down anyone currently on the roster.

Instead, he said the QB situation was fine as it was, so let's judge him by the standard he set himself than make more excuses for him.

And give him credit for recognizing himself that, after three years to tutor Hundley, he really should have had a handle on the situation.

14 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Nah, I meant Hue Jackson. I was just thinking about potential head coaches for Green Bay when I wrote Arians. He's kinda been on my mind lately. Plus, I was more meaning along the lines of treating his players like **** and throwing them under the bus lol. I did immediately edit it to Hue Jackson though! Surprised you were able to quote it that quick with Arians still there -- be less quick please.

I'll institute a "Quote delay" :)

I dont consider it an attribute of any coach to publicly run down his players and even IMPLY somebody off the roster would be a welcome addition  -  and I dont hear any that do it. Now - do some say a player didnt handle a particular play or situation well? Yes that happens every now and then - but the days of Bill Parcells shooting the **** with the NY Media and giving his players some **** are long gone.

22 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Why do you insist on taking away from what McVay has accomplished in LA? Goff wasn't nearly the QB he is now under Jeff Fisher and in fact, before McVay came to LA there was a lot of skepticism on whether or not the Rams made the right call drafting Goff. McVay did an excellent job grooming him for his system and in fact, his tactics with the headset were really well documented in making things as simple as possible for Goff. Robert Woods wasn't on the team and neither was Kupp when he joined. Literally, that offense had Todd Gurley, a depleted WR core and a QB that people were questioning. 

Let's not pretend that McVay walked into a dream job scenario when taking over the LA Rams. Let's not knock what this guy has done for the Rams and pretend that he inherited this amazing Roster. He didn't and if you want to credit the GM you're welcome to do so but you would be ignorant/foolish to think that McVay didn't have a hand in helping select offensive players that he felt fit his system.

I'm not taking anything away from him.

I am just pointing out facts.

Facts like he inherited an incredible roster. Let's not pretend like he didn't walk into a dream scenario: best RB in the league, best defensive player in the league, #1 overall pick QB, perhaps the best FA class...ever? Cooks, Suh, Peters, Talib, Shields, and more!

And that fact he hasn't won a postseason game yet.

He very well might be a really good coach. But his team is...LOADED. Let's see if he can have success with a squad that has been consistently picking in the late 20s for a stretch.

2 hours ago, Norm said:

Rams are going to a lose a playoff game that everyone expects them to roll through. I just have a feeling. I've seen this all before it feels like.

Yeah honestly I still don't trust Goff. It seemed like all the pre-snap movement the Packers were doing after the communication shut off had him shook. 

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Facts like he inherited an incredible roster. Let's not pretend like he didn't walk into a dream scenario: best RB in the league, best defensive player in the league, #1 overall pick QB, perhaps the best FA class...ever? Cooks, Suh, Peters, Talib, Shields, and more!

He very well might be a really good coach. But his team is...LOADED. Let's see if he can have success with a squad that has been consistently picking in the late 20s for a stretch.

Cooks, Suh, Peters, Talib, Shields all joined this year -- so he didn't "inherit" them when he signed on with the Rams .. that's the point I'm making. You're talking about talent that he has acquired AFTER joining them. If you don't think he has a hand in helping build this team to fit his system offensively and the DC (Wade) who he handpicked isn't helping with defensive talent, you're sadly mistaken. 

2 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

Cooks, Suh, Peters, Talib, Shields all joined this year -- so he didn't "inherit" them when he signed on with the Rams .. that's the point I'm making. You're talking about talent that he has acquired AFTER joining them. If you don't think he has a hand in helping build this team to fit his system offensively and the DC (Wade) who he handpicked isn't helping with defensive talent, you're sadly mistaken. 

Oh ok.

6 hours ago, incognito_man said:

The rams made goff look great all season.  Most of that is good coaching.  It is possible to be a good/bad coach within the context of a season and not just over time.  Right now McVay is way ahead of the curve.  Sure, things may catch up to him at some point down the line, but that doesn't mean he wasn't or isn't good now.

The rams are scoring with Higbee and Everett and reynolds.  Woods is nothing special and a guy who was considered "overpaid" and on the lesser free agent market.  Cooks is a good solid No. 1 WR.  Gurley is a stud.  They have 2-3 viable offensive weapons and a young QB who has a good arm.

That team would cut off their pinky for McVay and it shows on the field.

7 hours ago, Leader said:

I'll institute a "Quote delay" :)

I dont consider it an attribute of any coach to publicly run down his players and even IMPLY somebody off the roster would be a welcome addition  -  and I dont hear any that do it. Now - do some say a player didnt handle a particular play or situation well? Yes that happens every now and then - but the days of Bill Parcells shooting the **** with the NY Media and giving his players some **** are long gone.

You can harp on his handling of the press-conference all you want, but the point still stands with respect to Hundley: he does not get a free pass for the offense's underachievement with him as the starter. Getting shut out twice on your own turf is flat-out inexcusable -- Nathan Peterman has not been shut-out as a starter.

Archived