You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

14 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Will McVay make 9 in a row though?

Will he ever win a SB?

Time will tell.  Judging by his first 2 seasons, I'm not counting him out.

9 in a row is surely impressive but there is very little success in those 9 playoff appearances when you see that we've only made it to one single Super Bowl.  I'll say one thing, after the last 2 seasons, and the direction this team is going I'll be happy to ever make the playoffs again.   It's disappointing that our standards have fallen so far.  Its crazy that the same posters who are trashing our talent level are likely the same posters who talked about us being Super Bowl caliber BECAUSE of that talent level.  

29 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Correct. McCarthy is a clear tier ahead. He has a better win percentage in both the regular season and the playoffs. Has appeared in the playoffs more frequently and has won a SB

I'd imagine that this opinion isn't shared by many around the league given the coach's substantial difference in success over the last 2 seasons.  At the end of this season they'd each have made the playoffs just as frequent as the other.  Assuming KC doesn't make the Super Bowl, they'd have the same number of Super Bowl appearances as well.  Ridiculous to say Mike McCarthy is that much of a coach because he won a Super Bowl an eternity ago.  Are John Gruden and Brian Billick a clear tier ahead of Reid because of one game?  

Kansas City has been on the league's best teams over the last 2 years with an exciting, innovative and record breaking offense.  Green Bay on the other hand has easily been the league's biggest disappointment over that same time span winning just 42% of their games.  

Wasn't Mike Sherman fired for a coaching job a lot like we've seen over the last 2 years?  

39 minutes ago, SSG said:

I'd imagine that this opinion isn't shared by many around the league given the coach's substantial difference in success over the last 2 seasons.  At the end of this season they'd each have made the playoffs just as frequent as the other.  Assuming KC doesn't make the Super Bowl, they'd have the same number of Super Bowl appearances as well.  Ridiculous to say Mike McCarthy is that much of a coach because he won a Super Bowl an eternity ago.  Are John Gruden and Brian Billick a clear tier ahead of Reid because of one game?  

Kansas City has been on the league's best teams over the last 2 years with an exciting, innovative and record breaking offense.  Green Bay on the other hand has easily been the league's biggest disappointment over that same time span winning just 42% of their games.  

Wasn't Mike Sherman fired for a coaching job a lot like we've seen over the last 2 years?  

Roster talent

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Roster talent

Yet Sherman was still fired and MM came in with low end talent and took GB to the NFCCG in 07. Deshawn Wynn was our RB haha. Jennings was a Rook and hit a wall but we still went 13-3 all of luck also but that's the way it goes. I know you're  roster talent guy over coaching so that's what that is. But still Sherman got fired and Mac took over a team that wasn't that good. A year after MM and BF lost AR lead by MM went 6-10:)

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Roster talent

I prefer accountability over excuses.  We shouldn't need an all pro at every position to be something other than awful.  There are teams around the NFL that have substantially less overall talent than we do yet we're only winning 40% of our games over the last 2 seasons.  At some point we''ve got to stop making excuses for a terribly coached, unprepared football team. 

It's Mike Sherman all over again. A coach incapable of getting the best out of its players which is essentially wasting prime seasons for a generational talent at QB.  

1 minute ago, SSG said:

I prefer accountability over excuses.  We shouldn't need an all pro at every position to be something other than awful.  There are teams around the NFL that have substantially less overall talent than we do yet we're only winning 40% of our games over the last 2 seasons.  At some point we''ve got to stop making excuses for a terribly coached, unprepared football team. It's Mike Sherman all over again. A coach incapable of getting the best out of its players which is essentially wasting prime seasons for a generational talent at QB.  

I think you should leave the Hundley disaster out of the computations.

All I could think of while watching the Bears last night was, “Man I’d love to crush their hopes - in their stadium - in the playoffs, again. Do we have a shot?” And I think that kind of sums up where I’m at with MM. In years past when AR and MM are up against it, like we are now, they find another level. If they still have it...then we should be able to take 5 or 6 of the remaining games and be the WC team that NOBODY wants to see. I think for me that’s what’s left to be seen before I decide whether it’s time to move on from a good HC. The other thing I think about...everybody loves the Saints right now. But that team was a mediocre non-playoff team for 3 years before they got hot again last year. What if they’d fired Payton? 

32 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Yet Sherman was still fired and MM came in with low end talent and took GB to the NFCCG in 07. Deshawn Wynn was our RB haha. Jennings was a Rook and hit a wall but we still went 13-3 all of luck also but that's the way it goes. I know you're  roster talent guy over coaching so that's what that is. But still Sherman got fired and Mac took over a team that wasn't that good. A year after MM and BF lost AR lead by MM went 6-10:)

Your facts are way off.

Compared to 2005, our 2007 offense had:

Ryan Grant instead of Samkon Gado.

Added Jennings (who wasn't a rookie and had 12 TDs)

Added James Jones.

On defense

Added these guys named Charles woodson and Tramon Williams and Nick Collins (rookie in 05)

29 minutes ago, SSG said:

I prefer accountability over excuses.  We shouldn't need an all pro at every position to be something other than awful.  There are teams around the NFL that have substantially less overall talent than we do yet we're only winning 40% of our games over the last 2 seasons.  At some point we''ve got to stop making excuses for a terribly coached, unprepared football team. 

It's Mike Sherman all over again. A coach incapable of getting the best out of its players which is essentially wasting prime seasons for a generational talent at QB.  

How good are the teams doing with substantially less talent?

Just now, Leader said:

We'll have to agree to disagree.  McCarthy did Hundley no favors last year.  He was incapable of making the adjustments needed to the offense help Hundley out.  He required Hundley to be Aaron Rodgers and because he wasn't he failed bad.  It's easy to blame last year on just Hundley when in reality it was a combination of both.  We got every bit as bad of a performance from our head coach as we did our back up QB.  It showed how inept McCarthy is when he's not getting first ballot HOF play from his QB.  

Look around the NFL.  This last week in Baltimore John Harbaugh adjusted his offense around his rookie QB and it paid off with win.  We've seen England do it as well when Tom Brady was out with suspension.  

5 minutes ago, SSG said:

Look around the NFL.  This last week in Baltimore John Harbaugh adjusted his offense around his rookie QB and it paid off with win. 
We've seen England do it as well when Tom Brady was out with suspension.  

Oh please SSG. I've no intention to scratch your MM itch for ya - not necessary - but Harbaugh/Jackson? You really throwing that comparison in there?

Yeah. Harbaugh adjusted his offense. He turned his QB into a RB.
Jackson threw it 19 times and ran it 24 (not counting the 3 knees taken at games end).

19 minutes ago, Leader said:

I don't.

Hundo may not have been starter material, but he did not lack for talent. Good arm, nice wheels, and the so-called QB Guru had three years to work with the guy. You are not going to get much better from your backup QB.

The problem is that when stubborn Mike was not playing it safe to the extreme with him, he was then trying to play him like Aaron Rodgers. Hundley is not Rodgers. They should have played him like a Vick or Colin Kaepernick (whom, by the way, he vehemently denied having any need for because the QB room was right where he wanted it or something -- more reason why he should not be let off the hook for Hundley). The guy was very effective when using his legs, yet our fool coach refused to showcase that and kept trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

In fact, palmy50 had some pretty similar comments about Hundley and how the problem was about system-fit more than talent. Belichick can adapt to not having TB12 and starting Jacoby Brissett. That's why he's a great coach, and MM isn't.

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

How good are the teams doing with substantially less talent?

The most talented player on the team (and in the NFL) has been a middle of the pack player. That's why the Packers are 4-5-1. He plays on the side of the ball McCarthy coaches at a position he specializes in.

Team talent is pretty irrelevant to why we're struggling. This defense is way more talented in the back end and DL than it has been in years. It has a top graded OL and a RB leading the NFL in efficiency. We have one of the best WRs in the NFL and the best TE we've had since Finley.

It starts and ends with the fact that Mac and Aaron MUST be on the same page and they aren't. No amount of team talent fixes that. If Mac can get Aaron playing like he did at the end of 2016, I'm totally open to him staying. If it's more of the same, he absolutely must go.

Archived