The Colts might have dodged a coaching bullet in retrospect in regards to McDaniels

CKS97

15 hours ago, childofpudding said:

It's disingenuous to suggest in retrospect that Xanders wasn't the actual GM for the 2011 draft (2012 I'll grant you). That's just post-Xanders, pro-Elway spin. Since Xanders left, Elway has shown that he's bad at drafting. Players drafted by the Broncos during Xanders official stint as GM have made 14 Pro Bowl appearances (13 if you don't count 2012). Players drafted by the Broncos since he left have made zero (1 if you count 2012). Elway is bad at drafting.

McDaniels had second thoughts and backed out. You can criticize him for it, and rightfully so, but I'd blame the process of picking a coach and when you can talk to him and the postseason success of the Patriots and all of that more so. It was spun in the media as some slimeball move, in large part because of his horrible head coaching stint in Denver, but I really don't think he had bad intentions. McDaniels ultimately made a last-minute decision based on what he thought was best for him and his family, and the timing was very, very bad. Pretty much the same thing was done to Belichick on his way out of Cleveland and then when he abruptly left the Jets. And now Belichick is rightfully considered one of the GOAT coaches.

It's really not disingenuous at all. Who made the phone call to Von Miller? John Elway. Who conducted all of the post draft press conferences? John Elway. He ran the draft process and made the picks. It's that simple, really. You aren't going to get any argument from me that John Elway has had a rough time in the draft of late, but why exactly are we attributing that to Xanders? The latter, as I already mentioned, was awful prior to Elway showing up ...  Oh, and by the way - Elway has absolutely nailed his 2018 class.

"It was spun in the media as some slimeball move" - this is where I will end discussing this with you I am afraid. It's clear you have no neutrality in the discussion. His own agent, and a close family friend by all accounts, disowned him on the back of Josh's actions. Was that a result of the media spinning it?  

15 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

If I was josh I wouldn’t want to work for An alcoholic owner either. I’d rather coach Tom Brady and wait for a better opportunity which he will get. 

Also broncos fans need to stop being so damn bitter. It was like ten years ago get over it my god. 

Haha, so Josh went all the way through the interview process, gave his word that he was signing the deal, but then thought "yeh I don't want to work for an alcoholic owner and I really love Tom so I am  going to stay". And we are supposed to not bash him for this? I can tell you this without any doubt whatsoever - he is not going to get a better chance than that Colts team. What teams have Head Coaching gigs available with a QB of Luck's talent? I am so glad Luck has proven his health.

I am talking pure facts. Of course I am bitter, but that doesn't in any shape or form detract from what I am saying (unlike what you're saying, which is nonsensical rubbish that is nothing to do with Football).

14 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I’m surprised NE fans are defending Josh. He’s not a bad OC - you can do much, much worse as an OC*. But he’s not an offensive genius or something, and based on his coaching stints, you could definitely say he’s more likely than not to be a mediocre HC.

*I say this as someone who is incredibly frustrated with McDaniels this season. He regressed to his 2013 playcalling.

Is he back to having Brady moon it for no reason?

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

It's really not disingenuous at all. Who made the phone call to Von Miller? John Elway. Who conducted all of the post draft press conferences? John Elway. He ran the draft process and made the picks. It's that simple, really. You aren't going to get any argument from me that John Elway has had a rough time in the draft of late, but why exactly are we attributing that to Xanders? The latter, as I already mentioned, was awful prior to Elway showing up ...  Oh, and by the way - Elway has absolutely nailed his 2018 class.

"It was spun in the media as some slimeball move" - this is where I will end discussing this with you I am afraid. It's clear you have no neutrality in the discussion. His own agent, and a close family friend by all accounts, disowned him on the back of Josh's actions. Was that a result of the media spinning it?  

Haha, so Josh went all the way through the interview process, gave his word that he was signing the deal, but then thought "yeh I don't want to work for an alcoholic owner and I really love Tom so I am  going to stay". And we are supposed to not bash him for this? I can tell you this without any doubt whatsoever - he is not going to get a better chance than that Colts team. What teams have Head Coaching gigs available with a QB of Luck's talent? I am so glad Luck has proven his health.

I am talking pure facts. Of course I am bitter, but that doesn't in any shape or form detract from what I am saying (unlike what you're saying, which is nonsensical rubbish that is nothing to do with Football).

Calling Von Miller and conducting press conferences isnt running the draft. It's taking undue credit. Xanders did all/most of the work of actually scouting and drafting players long before Elway even came aboard, and Elway held a press conference. Thanks for helping to prove my point.

I have said McDaniels deserves criticism for the Colts debacle, but I dont think he had any ill intentions. He made a very badly timed, way too late decision that he thought was best for himself and his family. I dont think there was any ill will there, that's all.

And as I have said repeatedly in this thread, I am not crazy about his coaching and do believe the Colts may have dodged a bullet when he backed out. I just think judging his ability as a head coach solely on a couple seasons in Denver where he was given too much power at too young an age and failed spectacularly is premature.

6 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

That Chubb guy is looking ok. I mean yea I can see why some people overlook him with Von Miller out there, but he seems like he might “get it” a bit. 

Yeah he and Sutton look good, I agree. I just think it's too early to judge rookies, good or bad. Shane Ray had 12 sacks in his first two years and has since done little (due to injury, but still). But yes, I agree that the 2018 draft has looked good so far, will definitely grant you that.

4 hours ago, Breesus mode said:

Is he back to having Brady moon it for no reason?

3rd or 4th and short deep shots? Yeah, they’re back. Sometimes to players that have no business going deep, but it’s been Gordon lately. 

Also back: oddly timed, dedication-to-the-run drives against a defense that is stymieing the run game. His playcalling has been questionable compared to the last 3-4 years where he had looked to improve.

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

3rd or 4th and short deep shots? Yeah, they’re back. Sometimes to players that have no business going deep, but it’s been Gordon lately. 

Also back: oddly timed, dedication-to-the-run drives against a defense that is stymieing the run game. His playcalling has been questionable compared to the last 3-4 years where he had looked to improve.

My favorite was the 15 stretch runs he called for Michel in the Lions game. Tilted me so hard.

3 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

2 hours ago, childofpudding said:

My favorite was the 15 stretch runs he called for Michel in the Lions game. Tilted me so hard.

Lol, these are the exact same complaints from Bronco and Rams fans years ago. Anybody that thinks he's changed and should be hired is in for a bad time.

Archived