The Colts might have dodged a coaching bullet in retrospect in regards to McDaniels

CKS97

7 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

The power-hungry anecdote is also a great little throw-in. He didn't have to be power-hungry. He had the keys to the kingdom from day one. Just like McDaniels. 

But he is power hungry, and the team is suffering because of it. VJ was hired to be a puppet. Maybe Elway should hire people (GM, coach) and let them do their job instead of being Jerry Jones Jr.

3 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

Elway's success rate at drafting is nearly 0%. He's batting under .100.

I said many Broncos fans believe that Elway walks on water. Not all. The top thread in your team forum is about VJ getting fired, with most posters talking about how Elway needs to be scrutinized on who he picks for the next coach. That gives Elway leeway for at least another couple years - not exactly the hot seat you're proclaiming.

LOL. No, it's not under 10% unless your standard is every pick being a Pro Bowler or All-Pro. I'd love to see your pick-by-pick breakdown that brought you to that under .100 figure though, I'm sure it was a scientific process. 

He has to hit on his next QB and coach in our minds. That's absolutely a hot seat. 

16 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

But he is power hungry, and the team is suffering because of it. VJ was hired to be a puppet. Maybe Elway should hire people (GM, coach) and let them do their job instead of being Jerry Jones Jr.

*yawns*

You really don't need to try to explain the dynamics of my team to me, you've done a poor enough job up to this point. What I took issue with was not your analysis of Elway's work, it was how you tried to define the parameters of that work. Although you did decide later to jump the shark with the analysis anyway. 

Just now, BroncoBruin said:

LOL. No, it's not under 10% unless your standard is every pick being a Pro Bowler or All-Pro. I'd love to see your pick-by-pick breakdown that brought you to that under .100 figure though, I'm sure it was a scientific process. 

He has to hit on his next QB and coach in our minds. That's absolutely a hot seat. 

I already did earlier in this thread. Bradley Roby is the biggest net positive since Xanders was fired. I'd maybe grant you Paradis and Gotsis as well. So that's three hits out of more than 30 picks from 2013-17. Do the math. Elway is a bad drafter.

Being on the hot seat isn't, he better do good with hiring the next coach and/or drafting the next QB. Being on the hot seat is, unless the team turns it around this year, ownership should think about firing him this offseason.

12 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

*yawns*

You really don't need to try to explain the dynamics of my team to me, you've done a poor enough job up to this point. What I took issue with was not your analysis of Elway's work, it was how you tried to define the parameters of that work. Although you did decide later to jump the shark with the analysis anyway. 

My analysis of Elway as a drafter is spot-on. He's bad at drafting.

My analysis of Elway as power-hungry is spot-on. He is power-hungry and it has hurt the team and will continue to do so.

My analysis of who deserves credit for the 2011 draft is spot-on. It's Xanders (along with Fox). Not Elway, the bad drafter who had just been hired and gave himself the hollow responsibility of having final say. Xanders spearheaded that draft.

Just now, childofpudding said:

I already did earlier in this thread. Bradley Roby is the biggest net positive since Xanders was fired. I'd maybe grant you Paradis and Gotsis as well. So that's three hits out of more than 30 picks from 2013-17. Do the math. Elway is a bad drafter.

Being on the hot seat isn't, he better do good with hiring the next coach and/or drafting the next QB. Being on the hot seat is, unless the team turns it around this year, ownership should think about firing him this offseason.

Ignoring your insistence on Xanders running the drafts (he didn't), all of these players drafted from 2011-2016 have been either solid contributors or vastly outplayed their draft position: Von Miller, Orlando Franklin, Julius Thomas, Virgil Green, Derek Wolfe, Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan, Bradley Roby, Matt Paradis, Adam Gotsis, Justin Simmons, Connor McGovern, Andy Janovich and Will Parks. That's about 1/3 of his draft picks and is probably close to the NFL average. 

That's how you define a hot seat for a coach. Coaches are defined by what they can do with what they have. 

8 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

My analysis of Elway as a drafter is spot-on. He's bad at drafting.

My analysis of Elway as power-hungry is spot-on. He is power-hungry and it has hurt the team and will continue to do so.

My analysis of who deserves credit for the 2011 draft is spot-on. It's Xanders (along with Fox). Not Elway, the bad drafter who had just been hired and gave himself the hollow responsibility of having final say. Xanders spearheaded that draft.

Ah, John Fox now too! Seriously, you have no idea what you're talking about and are just making stuff up as you go, pivoting whenever convenient. Have at it, I guess. 

3 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Ignoring your insistence on Xanders running the drafts (he didn't), all of these players drafted from 2011-2016 have been either solid contributors or vastly outplayed their draft position: Von Miller, Orlando Franklin, Julius Thomas, Virgil Green, Derek Wolfe, Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan, Bradley Roby, Matt Paradis, Adam Gotsis, Justin Simmons, Connor McGovern, Andy Janovich and Will Parks. That's about 1/3 of his draft picks and is probably close to the NFL average. 

That's how you define a hot seat for a coach. Coaches are defined by what they can do with what they have. 

Outplaying your draft position isn't how you define success. Trevor Siemien outplayed his draft position too, but he wasn't a success. He's in street clothes today. Janovich, Parks? C'mon man. They're borderline starters on a mediocre team. And yes, Pro Bowls do matter. The Broncos have drafted zero Pro Bowlers since Xanders was fired. Zero. Why? Elway is bad at drafting.

Hot seat for any position - GM or coach - means they could be fired at any time. You're trying to redefine it for GMs.

23 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Ah, John Fox now too! Seriously, you have no idea what you're talking about and are just making stuff up as you go, pivoting whenever convenient. Have at it, I guess. 

Yeah, John Fox. Xanders was the one who largely spearheaded the 2011 draft, with help from Fox. Elway signed on the dotted line and that's about it. 

It's incredibly naive to think that Elway ran the draft a couple months after being hired by the organization. GMs plan nearly a year in advance for a draft, watching film every day, scouting players and so forth. That's what Xanders did and why he, not Elway, deserves credit for the 2011 draft.

From https://www.denverpost.com/2011/01/20/brian-xanders-broncos-gm-talks-nfl-draft-defense-and-champ-bailey/

Brian, can you tell me what your typical day would be like during the season?

— Ryan, Ogden, Utah

BX: In season, I get into the office around 6:30 a.m. I check in with the head coach early in the day to see if there are any roster changes or decisions we have to make.

From 7:30-noon, I basically work on film and evaluation of college draft players. Then we eat lunch as a staff.

I usually got to practice in the afternoon, and then I will meet with coach again, if I need to. From about 3:30 p.m. to 7 p.m., I continue to work on evaluation, watching tape for the college draft.

Sometimes, I switch up and work with our pro personnel guys. Mondays and Tuesday during the season are our workout days for possible pro players we might pick up.

And there are times during the season when I make visits to schools across the country, evaluating practices and game tape. I try to coordinate those around our road trips.

Brian Xanders, 39, has held the title of Broncos general manager for nearly two years, but with a new regime in place he will execute more power.

In Denver’s new management structure, Xanders will report to Elway, the new executive vice president of football operations, but will be the team’s primary authority on the draft and personnel matters.

Glad I could help educate you on the structure of the team you root for.

16 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

People also forgot about him being busted for spygate 2.0 while in Denver. (which played a big part in him being fired from here) He's a scumbag of the highest order.

He didn't get busted for it. His assistant did, and McDaniels refused to look at the tape. Where he erred was in not reporting it right away. From http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5855075: "The NFL investigation determined Steve Scarnecchia took a six-minute video of the walkthrough and presented it that day to McDaniels. The coach declined to view it. Still, the NFL fined both the coach and team because the matter was not promptly reported, as required by the league." 

Not here to defend McDaniels as a coach but the revisionist history by Broncos fans is a joke.

Elway took deferred payments as a player that helped the Broncos violate the salary cap and led to nearly $2m in fines for the team and loss of picks. Elway is a scumbag of the highest order, right?

I don't know if even the Patriots want McDaniels as head coach. I think they might want him to stick around as OC but have seen with Denver and all that if they want to continue the culture of the New England Patriots, getting a tough defensive-minded coach might be a better bet. In a few seasons, I wouldn't be surprised if linebackers coach Brian Flores is the guy instead of McDaniels once he gets some more work and figures out how to string together good performances on a more week-to-week basis.

25 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

He didn't get busted for it. His assistant did, and McDaniels refused to look at the tape. Where he erred was in not reporting it right away. From http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5855075: "The NFL investigation determined Steve Scarnecchia took a six-minute video of the walkthrough and presented it that day to McDaniels. The coach declined to view it. Still, the NFL fined both the coach and team because the matter was not promptly reported, as required by the league." 

Not here to defend McDaniels as a coach but the revisionist history by Broncos fans is a joke.

Elway took deferred payments as a player that helped the Broncos violate the salary cap and led to nearly $2m in fines for the team and loss of picks. Elway is a scumbag of the highest order, right?

Sure you aren't. No way Scarnecchia taped that walkthrough w/o McDaniels knowing about it. I know you're a fan of the Patriots, but you don't have to keep defending a scumbag like Mcdaniels.

2 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

Sure you aren't. No way Scarnecchia taped that walkthrough w/o McDaniels knowing about it. I know you're a fan of the Patriots, but you don't have to keep defending a scumbag like Mcdaniels.

So...Elway is a scumbag of the highest order for taking deferred payments so Broncos could cheat the salary cap and win a couple SBs? Glad you agree.

6 hours ago, childofpudding said:

That Chubb guy is looking ok. I mean yea I can see why some people overlook him with Von Miller out there, but he seems like he might “get it” a bit. 

Archived