The Colts might have dodged a coaching bullet in retrospect in regards to McDaniels

CKS97

1 hour ago, childofpudding said:

Also, Broncos' ownership and front office deserve some of the blame for the team's failures in that era. They fired Brian Xanders, for crying out loud, who drafted the cornerstone pieces of what became an historically dominant defense that won them their SB. Broncos' drafts have been pretty horrible since Elway took over as GM.

Xanders was only the actual GM of two drafts during his stint in Denver. From 2011 onwards, it was Elway who was steering the ship.

In 2009, Xanders and McDaniels missed on both 1st round picks (Moreno & Ayers) then, inexplicably, traded a 2010 1st round pick to select Alphonso Smith with the 37th overall pick. We traded him for a backup TE a year later, whilst the Seahawks used our 1st round pick to select Earl Thomas.

In 2010, Xanders and McDaniels nailed it with Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker and (to a lesser extent) Zane Beadles. The rest of the draft was pretty terrible including a 1st round pick being wasted on Tim Tebow.

My point is, Xanders certainly isn't to thank for the compilation of the team that set NFL records - that belongs to John Elway. I certainly don't dispute some of the stinkers Elway has had.

Ironically, you attributed some of the blame for McDaniels' struggles in Denver on the front office - it was McDaniels who was making the decisions in Denver. He had way, way too much power for someone as inexperienced as he was, but the buck stops entirely with him for his awful stint in Denver.

There isn't a single bit of logic to suggest McDaniels has grown up from his stint in Denver. The utter debacle with the Colts in the Summer lead to his own agent dropping him - that tells you everything you need to know about Josh McDaniels the man.

2 hours ago, BAConrad said:

Yeah he really isn't lol. Who actually thinks that he is "one of the greatest offensive minds in the league"??? Besides well Josh McDaniels.

Probably quite a few people. One of the GOAT QBs certainly thinks very highly of him.

I tend to disagree. During 2009-11, when McDaniels was with the Broncos and Rams, the Patriots scored 30.4 pts/g (more than any other team in the league). Since he returned in 2012, the Patriots have scored 29.4 pts/g in a more offensive-friendly league (although still more than any other team in the league). The success of the offense is largely due to Brady, and McDaniels hasn't moved the needle much, at least in the regular season.

I do think he deserves some credit for the offense's performances in the playoffs, particularly at the biggest stage vs. SEA in 2014 (#1 DVOA defense) and PHI last year (#5 DVOA defense).

34 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Xanders was only the actual GM of two drafts during his stint in Denver. From 2011 onwards, it was Elway who was steering the ship.

In 2009, Xanders and McDaniels missed on both 1st round picks (Moreno & Ayers) then, inexplicably, traded a 2010 1st round pick to select Alphonso Smith with the 37th overall pick. We traded him for a backup TE a year later, whilst the Seahawks used our 1st round pick to select Earl Thomas.

In 2010, Xanders and McDaniels nailed it with Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker and (to a lesser extent) Zane Beadles. The rest of the draft was pretty terrible including a 1st round pick being wasted on Tim Tebow.

My point is, Xanders certainly isn't to thank for the compilation of the team that set NFL records - that belongs to John Elway. I certainly don't dispute some of the stinkers Elway has had.

Ironically, you attributed some of the blame for McDaniels' struggles in Denver on the front office - it was McDaniels who was making the decisions in Denver. He had way, way too much power for someone as inexperienced as he was, but the buck stops entirely with him for his awful stint in Denver.

There isn't a single bit of logic to suggest McDaniels has grown up from his stint in Denver. The utter debacle with the Colts in the Summer lead to his own agent dropping him - that tells you everything you need to know about Josh McDaniels the man.

It's disingenuous to suggest in retrospect that Xanders wasn't the actual GM for the 2011 draft (2012 I'll grant you). That's just post-Xanders, pro-Elway spin. Since Xanders left, Elway has shown that he's bad at drafting. Players drafted by the Broncos during Xanders official stint as GM have made 14 Pro Bowl appearances (13 if you don't count 2012). Players drafted by the Broncos since he left have made zero (1 if you count 2012). Elway is bad at drafting.

McDaniels had second thoughts and backed out. You can criticize him for it, and rightfully so, but I'd blame the process of picking a coach and when you can talk to him and the postseason success of the Patriots and all of that more so. It was spun in the media as some slimeball move, in large part because of his horrible head coaching stint in Denver, but I really don't think he had bad intentions. McDaniels ultimately made a last-minute decision based on what he thought was best for him and his family, and the timing was very, very bad. Pretty much the same thing was done to Belichick on his way out of Cleveland and then when he abruptly left the Jets. And now Belichick is rightfully considered one of the GOAT coaches.

I do agree with you that McDaniels was given too much power early on. He was too young and too brash, and even though some of the decisions he made were good in retrospect (trading Cutler for Orton and multiple picks), his tenure there was ultimately a failure because of his personality.

I also have plenty of reservations about McDaniels as an OC and potential coach. For example, sometimes I think he can out-think himself by trying to be too tricky and creative. Tom Brady doesn't need to be catching passes. Like, ever. It was dumb in the SB and it was dumb last week. Stupid, look-at-me playcalling.

5 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

... But he's an immature human being that commands zero respect from his players unless he has the 'Patriot way' established.

Even after his horrific stint in Denver, that I had the displeasure of enduring as a Bronco fan, I was willing to believe he might have changed until his disgraceful actions this past Summer (and his cowardly reaction to it).

I am loving the Colts playing this way without Josh, and I can't wait for his demise as a Head Coaching candidate.

If I was josh I wouldn’t want to work for An alcoholic owner either. I’d rather coach Tom Brady and wait for a better opportunity which he will get. 

Also broncos fans need to stop being so damn bitter. It was like ten years ago get over it my god. 

Just now, ET80 said:

Except he's not. Anyone could look good coaching Brady (see: O'Brien, Bill or Weis, Charlie).

What all time great offenses did weis call plays for in NE? Josh has the 2007 Pats(best ever) and the 2012 Pats. OBrien has the 11 Pats

He got good seasons out of Kyle Orton and Matt Cassell

52 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

What all time great offenses did weis call plays for in NE? Josh has the 2007 Pats(best ever) and the 2012 Pats. OBrien has the 11 Pats

He got good seasons out of Kyle Orton and Matt Cassell

I don't think anyone is trying to argue that he's bad, but talking about him being this generational mind has gotten out of control.  He's a scumbag to the nth degree.

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I just don't understand how teams still want McDaniels.  McDaniels seems like an idiot savant with no knowledge whatsoever how to interact with people, but a strong knack for offense.  He is the last head coach I'd want my team to hire. 

I'm glad the Colts are having success. 

Archived