The Colts might have dodged a coaching bullet in retrospect in regards to McDaniels

CKS97

I think ending up with Reich instead of McDaniels might end up being a hindsight good thing for Indy.

Esp. considering Josh's track record away from New England (Denver 2009-2010, Rams as offensive coordinator in 2011).

This feels like a blessing in disguise

Retrospect?

Myself (along with many others) thought that as soon as it happened.   When I heard the Colts were going to hire him, I laughed.

Not a blessing in disguise as much as it was McDaniels doing the Colts a favor.

4 hours ago, CKS97 said:

I think ending up with Reich instead of McDaniels might end up being a hindsight good thing for Indy.

Esp. considering Josh's track record away from New England (Denver 2009-2010, Rams as offensive coordinator in 2011).

This feels like a blessing in disguise

mcdaniel's  was lousy when he went to denver, so the colts sure are fortunate they never got him as HC. I think Reich will be a solid HC and he already has this team improved in a major way especially on the OL.  If he keeps winning, he should be in the coach of the year ballots.  I didn't expect Indy to turn this around as quickly, but they are legit and Reich deserves credit.  Hitting in the draft with Q and Leonard also helps, 2 borderline ProBowl players as rookies is what any team would like for their draft. 

21 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Josh will always get chances to be a HC because he’s one of the best offensive minds of his generation. He has all time great offenses on his resume

... But he's an immature human being that commands zero respect from his players unless he has the 'Patriot way' established.

Even after his horrific stint in Denver, that I had the displeasure of enduring as a Bronco fan, I was willing to believe he might have changed until his disgraceful actions this past Summer (and his cowardly reaction to it).

I am loving the Colts playing this way without Josh, and I can't wait for his demise as a Head Coaching candidate.

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

They definitely dodged a bullet. I hope McGenious is Belichick's successor. I don't have any belief in that guy's ability to hack it as a HC without Brady.

It would not be pretty but they could tank (not on purpose) for some high draft picks and difference makers for the future.

I think it's hard to tell, because McDaniels has acknowledged how he screwed up in Denver, and I think he's smart enough that he might not make those mistakes again. He was too young to be a head coach and tried to be like Belichick Jr., and it failed miserably. You see the issue arising a bit now with Patricia in Detroit - assistants to Belichick trying to be too much like Belichick.

That doesn't McDaniels won't be a good head coach in the future. Belichick had five losing seasons in his first six years of head coaching with the Browns and Patriots. Judging McDaniels for an 8-8 season and an incomplete 3-9 season almost a decade ago is silly. I am not saying he will definitely be a good head coach, but posters here declaring he will always be a bad coach is premature.

Also, Broncos' ownership and front office deserve some of the blame for the team's failures in that era. They fired Brian Xanders, for crying out loud, who drafted the cornerstone pieces of what became an historically dominant defense that won them their SB. Broncos' drafts have been pretty horrible since Elway took over as GM.

Back to the Colts - they are still only 5-5 and on the outside looking in to get a playoff spot. It has been nice to see Luck's resurgence, though. I admit that I thought he might be done, and I'm happy that I was wrong. And I think that the Reich hiring has certainly worked out well for the team, so you have to give them credit there.

41 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Except he's not.

Yeah he really isn't lol. Who actually thinks that he is "one of the greatest offensive minds in the league"??? Besides well Josh McDaniels. 

Also, McDaniels absolutely is not getting an offer to be the HC of any other team that isn't his current employer.

He literally is so disliked and disrespected IN NFL circles after what he pulled this past off-season that Mike Lombardi of all people, aka the guy who literally garbles on the knob of Belichick and the Pats any chance he has, had said that McDaniels is not going to get offers to be HC any time soon, if ever. 

Even HE was bashing McDaniels pretty badly when it happened. Which, if anyone listens to Lombardi on theringer or knows of him, is pretty surprising.

I just don't understand how teams still want McDaniels.  McDaniels seems like an idiot savant with no knowledge whatsoever how to interact with people, but a strong knack for offense.  He is the last head coach I'd want my team to hire. 

I'm glad the Colts are having success. 

Posted this in the Luck thread:

29 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I would agree with this. Frank Reich has engineered an offense that gradually ramped up to full speed, allowing Luck to also ramp up based on his comfort level.

If you have a QB coming off of a significant injury, you want to get your hands on this film. This was textbook on how you ease a QB in after missing significant time.

I don't think Josh McDaniels would have approached this as skillfully as Reich did.

Archived