UNC hiring Mack Brown to replace Larry Fedora

naptownskinsfan

I thought for sure he was going to turn around this program after the 2015 season.  Well, we aren't right about these kind of things all of the time.  The bottom has fallen out, and they move to 2-10 on the year and lose to their biggest rivals, on top of a fight occurring at the end of the game.  Now UNC's basketball program gets to pick up the $12.2 million buyout and they get to try again with a new football head coach. 

With Black Sunday fast approaching, yet another FBS job could be opening up.

Citing what it calls multiple sources within the Keenan Football Center, 247Sports.com is reporting “that a head coaching change will be made following [North Carolina]’s loss to N.C. State on Saturday, ending Larry Fedora’s seven-year tenure at the helm.”  The headline of the article describes a change as “imminent.”

A university spokesperson stated that no announcement regarding the Tar Heels’ head coach position is expected to be made tonight.

There’s also this from the university’s athletic director:

UNC athletic director Bubba Cunningham on status of Larry Fedora: “No decision.” That’s the official response, as of a few minutes ago.

61 people are talking about this

With the loss to rival NC State, UNC fell to 2-10 on the season and 5-19 over the past two years.  In Fedora’s seven seasons, the Tar Heels have gone 45-43 overall and 28-28 in ACC play.  The 2015 season was the high-water mark of the Fedora era as UNC went 11-3 and won the ACC Coastal division.

If UNC were to follow through and fire Fedora without cause, they would owe the coach a $12.2 million buyout.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/24/report-larry-fedoras-firing-at-north-carolina-imminent/

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I hate the "firing without cause" clauses in these contracts. How is firing someone for sucking at their job NOT firing with cause? lol

Performance generally isn't one of the things listed in the contract under "cause."

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Oh, I know. I just think being a ****ty coach qualifies as firing with cause lol

If it did, there's really no reason to even have the "for cause" clause there. Because the other reasons you fire a coach are generally also going to be "for cause" reasons. ;)

Frankly, then there's really no point in the coach even having a contract that extends for more than one year.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

If it did, there's really no reason to even have the "for cause" clause there. Because the other reasons you fire a coach are generally also going to be "for cause" reasons. ;)

Frankly, then there's really no point in the coach even having a contract that extends for more than one year.

I would almost consider that to get rid of these crazy buyouts.  No way should a coach at any university be pulling $12.2 million because he got fired for being a terrible coach.  I know the boosters tend to raise all of that money, but I'd still rather see it go to the students/athletes.  

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I would almost consider that to get rid of these crazy buyouts.  No way should a coach at any university be pulling $12.2 million because he got fired for being a terrible coach.  I know the boosters tend to raise all of that money, but I'd still rather see it go to the students/athletes.  

Tell the universities to negotiate better contracts. It's their fault.

And it's official, Fedora out at UNC.  God, that buyout.  

Also, stay away from Mel Tucker.  

Fedora's current contract was set to run through 2022, and he has a buyout of just over $12 million (which is subject to mitigation should he find another coaching job).

Among the top candidates to replace Fedora are Memphis' Mike Norvell (who worked with Cunningham at Tulsa), Troy's Neal Brown, Appalachian State's Scott Satterfield, North Texas' Seth Littrell (a former UNC offensive coordinator), Clemson co-offensive coordinator Tony Elliott, Maryland interim coach Matt Canada, Georgia defensive coordinator Mel Tucker and former Texas coach and current ESPN analyst Mack Brown (who coached at UNC from 1988 to '97).

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25373518/north-carolina-fires-coach-larry-fedora

Archived