Matt LaFleur

dtait93

Matt LaFleur? Try Matt LaFail. This guy is an absolutely horrendous play caller. How long will it take this clown to realize that on 1st down, slamming the ball up the middle behind maybe the worst interior o-line in the NFL is not a winning formula? The 2 point conversion call to lose against the Chargers was pitiful. The 4th down call tonight...a FB dive to a TE who has never had a carry in his professional career...may have been even worse. At one point tonight, at around the 4 minute mark in the 4th when the game was way past over, Mariota had as many passing attempts as points we were down by (17). I mean honestly, how do you let that happen in the midst of a blowout? 

We've managed to be an even worse offense going from 315 ypg to 305 and from 20.9 ppg to 17.7. Robiskie and his stone age scheme was able to get more out of his offense than LaFleur is able to get out of his and idgaf about the injury excuse anymore. Be better. 17.7 ppg is completely unacceptable. He was touted as the next great offensive mind, but if he really was then he should be getting at least equal production out of his offense than Robiskie was able to get out of his even with the injuries. Why? Because that's what good offensive coordinators do. He needs to get his head out of his *** or gtfo because he is calling absolutely putrid games. Now we know why McVay didn't let him call plays. He sucks at it. Honestly looks like a glorified QB coach to me with no concept of how the game is flowing. Somewhere tonight, Mularkey was laughing his *** off. At  least he knew not to put a pass catching TE on an island against a future HoFer that may end up going down as better than Reggie White. What an embarrassment.

After listening to the post game press conference, have to think that Vrabel had plenty to do with that 4th down call. Anyway, offense hasn't obviously clicked as expected. WR corps is still very much a big weakness, Walker going down, not figuring out the running game, OL playing much, much worse than in years past, all of that have contributed. I personally think LaFleur can still figure it out. It's way too early for me to give up on him. He faced way too much adversity so early in his new role as a play caller, and yet he has shown, even if not often enough, that he can still put together a pretty explosive offense.

I somehow understand wanting to see heads roll. But one of the biggest problems with Marcus has been that he hasn't had coaching stability and has had to change systems and schemes way too much and often so early in his career. This was meant to be a great hire, and a pretty perfect match scheme wise. It hasn't been that so far, but still, through all the injuries and the short comings, Marcus is completing passes at a career high rate and YPA average. This has to be somewhat encouraging. Let's try and finally build a better supporting cast and let them figure it out. No way do I think they are ready to move on from him as the franchise quarterback, and rightfully so. But it would be just as big of a mistake, IMO, giving up on LaFleur so early.

9 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Matt LaFleur? Try Matt LaFail. This guy is an absolutely horrendous play caller. How long will it take this clown to realize that on 1st down, slamming the ball up the middle behind maybe the worst interior o-line in the NFL is not a winning formula? The 2 point conversion call to lose against the Chargers was pitiful. The 4th down call tonight...a FB dive to a TE who has never had a carry in his professional career...may have been even worse. At one point tonight, at around the 4 minute mark in the 4th when the game was way past over, Mariota had as many passing attempts as points we were down by (17). I mean honestly, how do you let that happen in the midst of a blowout? 

We've managed to be an even worse offense going from 315 ypg to 305 and from 20.9 ppg to 17.7. Robiskie and his stone age scheme was able to get more out of his offense than LaFleur is able to get out of his and idgaf about the injury excuse anymore. Be better. 17.7 ppg is completely unacceptable. He was touted as the next great offensive mind, but if he really was then he should be getting at least equal production out of his offense than Robiskie was able to get out of his even with the injuries. Why? Because that's what good offensive coordinators do. He needs to get his head out of his *** or gtfo because he is calling absolutely putrid games. Now we know why McVay didn't let him call plays. He sucks at it. Honestly looks like a glorified QB coach to me with no concept of how the game is flowing. Somewhere tonight, Mularkey was laughing his *** off. At  least he knew not to put a pass catching TE on an island against a future HoFer that may end up going down as better than Reggie White. What an embarrassment.

Can’t agree wit you more, the crazy part that drives me crazy is that at times his brilliance flashes & calls a good game, or scheme ways to get our players involved but I don’t want him gone this early. Would like to see how this offense flourish wit better interior line play & a RB & a healthy walker true #2 WR with some speed. But you hit all points my guy it’s like him & Vrabel too smart for their own good. No way in hell would I ask jonu or a TE to block Watt, if anything put kelly in at TE & have him block 🤷🏽‍♂️.

Sounds crazy, but I hope Lafleur is back 2019. Mariota can’t keep changing coaches and offensive play callers  EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Lafleur has allowed him to be more of a shotgun QB (Which he succeeds most at) and though he’s been so inconsistent this year, I think he will continue to make strides. Plain and simple, I believe we will extend Mariota. The key will be to keep building around him. This is what we know: this whole Henry/Lewis timeshare isn’t working out as hoped and we need to find an all around back that can fit the Gurley role, we need a WR2 to complement Corey (Tajae and Taywan are more WR3), we miss Delanie so terribly bad, and our pass rush on defense is struggling. 

Also, we can’t forget the fact that JROB pursued Suh and lost out. He perceived a need at that position and I think we still need to address interior pass rush (Daquan and Austin Johnson are just run cloggers and rarely provide any pressure). Also, it was rumored (most likely fact) JROB was willing to part with our 1st round pick from this year if the Raiders would swap 2nd round positions with us. Obviously, this didn’t work out. The point being, JROB is aware we don’t have another WR to complement Corey and the fact that we need interior pass rush. These are areas he will address in free agency and the draft.

Also, with Orakpo and Morgan set for free agency, that will clear up some good cap room. I wouldn’t mind going after Dee Ford with that freed up money (if the Chiefs don’t tag him, which they may). As far as interior pass rush, Grady Jarrett from the Falcons would be a great option. Regarding WR, I think we look to the draft to address this need or make a trade for a Veteran WR in the league. For RB, I wish we would pay up for Leveon but don’t think that happens. I think we may end up next year with the same Lewis/Henry combo unfortunately.

However, if we miss the playoffs this year, JROB will be on the hot seat, so that may provoke him to pay up for a player he normally wouldn’t pay up for a.k.a Leveon Bell

8 minutes ago, Justin615$ said:

He gave the ball to Luke Stocker.... on a rush..... on 4th down

I still can't believe that

I don’t get why they didn’t just keep Fowler being that that was a legitimate play they knew they were going to look to in a crucial situation near the goal line. I mean damn atleast Fowler has taken a handoff before. That realistically may have been one of the worst calls I have ever seen.

And I’m not calling for LaFleur’s head. I know Mariota needs continuity. What I’m asking for is for him to get his head out of his *** and realize that when something isn’t working game after game quit calling it. Or when Marcus obviously has it going let him go out and win it for us. Or when he doesn’t have it going dial up a few easy passes to get him in rhythm...how many times have the casters pointed that out? It doesn’t take a genius to notice it.

At the end of the day the offense was set up to fail the moment he was hired. Vrabel or Robinson or whoever it is that’s responsible for the hire shouldn’t have paired a QB who we’re trying to figure out with an OC with no playcalling experience who himself is trying to figure it out. Recipe for disaster. Mariota needs continuity so we have no choice but to bring LaFleur back and hope he puts it together.

The main thing I have to go by, is how the Rams look or looked. Before McVay and crew and after they came.

Now we know Goff turned it around, but lets also look at what moves they made to help make that happen.

They had an o-line of:

OT- Greg Robinson, OG- Rodger Stafford, C-Tim Barnes, OG-Cody Wichman and OT Rob Havenstein  (Not a who's who of talent).

Then when McVay came in they did this:

OT- Andrew Whitworth, OG Rodger Stafford, C-John Sullivan, OG- Jamaon Brown, OT-Rob Havenstein.  
They replaced 3 of their offensive line starters.  Went from 49 sacks to 28 sacks with the old and new lines.
1252 yards rushing to 1953 yards rushing.

Tavon Austin, Kenny Britt and Lance Kendricks as your starting pass catchers to Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp and Tyler Higbee/Gerald Everett.

3313 yards passing to 4023 yards passing. 
Last in offense to 1st in offense.

Now. We give McVay and his staff all the credit. They deserve it. But we can't discount the moves they made to accommodate that offense too. Would they still done the same with Britt and company? Don't think so, maybe.

Let's look at we did to accommodate our new offense.
Kept the same offensive line together.
We didn't go and get any new offensive weapons, we actually subtracted our offensive weapons to two undrafted FA's starting. 
Running game got worst.
Offensive line protection got worst.

So looking at all that we must not have the proper personnel to run this system.
There are no excuses for LaFleur's playcalling. I can only hope that the plays called would look better with different people. You can predict Walker breaking his ankle or Matthews quitting.
You assumed that Kline and Jones would do better in a zone scheme and they have not.

Only thing I feel hopeful about next season is change in personnel and helps LaFleur looks better.

The personnel does not excuse a dumb *** call on 4th down last night and another dumb *** call on a 2 pt attempt to lose a game against LA. The personnel does not excuse the dumbassery to run the ball on 1st down more than any team in the league when you are amongst the worst at it. The personnel does not excuse the dumbassery of only throwing the ball 17 times by the time the end of the 4th quarter has rolled around when you’ve been getting blown out.  You have the personnel that has shown the capability of scoring 27 points, and 28 points, and 34 points. Do your ******* job and get your offense to do it consistently. So I agree. No excuses.

We will and need to give LeFleur another year. The playcalling skill with either develop or not, but that answer will come with time and time only. We need to improve our team in terms of talent...need to invest in the OL and all skill positions.

There's serious potential with LeFleur. he's had good moments and absolutely miserable moments, along with Vrabel. we need to give it time

35 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

The personnel does not excuse a dumb *** call on 4th down last night and another dumb *** call on a 2 pt attempt to lose a game against LA. The personnel does not excuse the dumbassery to run the ball on 1st down more than any team in the league when you are amongst the worst at it. The personnel does not excuse the dumbassery of only throwing the ball 17 times by the time the end of the 4th quarter has rolled around when you’ve been getting blown out.  You have the personnel that has shown the capability of scoring 27 points, and 28 points, and 34 points. Do your ******* job and get your offense to do it consistently. So I agree. No excuses.

Not excusing his calls. But let's not also act like players can't cover up the mistakes of a play caller. We've seen them on other teams.  

I'd like to imagine a better offensive line would produce a more consistent QB and a semblance of a running game. 

With those successes, play calls look better and Lafluer seems smarter. 

Let's be honest. If the first down runs were going for 4-5 yards, we wouldn't hate them as much. 

Like Marcus, I don't think Lafleur is going anywhere so let's figure out how to make him look the best he can. 

I think that calls for an upgrade overhaul of personnel that is proven to be a failure. 

Archived