GDT Steelers vs Chargers SNF 12/2/18

Steeler Hitman

10 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Davis will make a $1 Million next year. Any replacement that is as good (or as bad if you wanna look at it that way) won't be any cheaper. At least Davis knows the system. So, you bring in some competition in an effort to improve but you do not cut him. It saves you nothing.

what about a UFA signing, call it a done deal and Davis is a reserve at best.  The secondary needs a complete rebuild, and Davis hasn't proven that he is starter caliber, simple as that

5 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

what about a UFA signing, call it a done deal and Davis is a reserve at best.  The secondary needs a complete rebuild, and Davis hasn't proven that he is starter caliber, simple as that

Again, what player will cost less then a $1 Million and be BETTER? Furthermore, if you cut him you would have to KNOW that player would be better. I just don't see how that's possible. If they somehow land a top FA (doubt it) that would be different. But even then, I don't think you save much by cutting him so what's the point? It's like people want to cut him out of spite and that isn't good business. 

1 minute ago, Chieferific said:

Again, what player will cost less then a $1 Million and be BETTER? Furthermore, if you cut him you would have to KNOW that player would be better. I just don't see how that's possible. If they somehow land a top FA (doubt it) that would be different. But even then, I don't think you save much by cutting him so what's the point? It's like people want to cut him out of spite and that isn't good business. 

The objective is to  drastically improve the secondary.  Davis would stay as a reserve, but I would get a CB and Safety in UFA, that would probably be about $20m, but then we are no longer concerned about the secondary.  It has been several years now, enough is enough. 

3 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

The objective is to  drastically improve the secondary.  Davis would stay as a reserve, but I would get a CB and Safety in UFA, that would probably be about $20m, but then we are no longer concerned about the secondary.  It has been several years now, enough is enough. 

Ok, but that wasn't part of the debate. I don't think anyone thinks we couldn't be better at Safety. The question is, is it worth it to cut Davis? While he may not be the best option the answer is resounding NO. 

2 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Davis will make a $1 Million next year. Any replacement that is as good (or as bad if you wanna look at it that way) won't be any cheaper. At least Davis knows the system. So, you bring in some competition in an effort to improve but you do not cut him. It saves you nothing.

I dont care about cheaper, i care about better.

Just now, wwhickok said:

I don't think I'm being clear. Yes we all want better. But cutting Davis does not help at all. At his pay, you cannot get much better. Cutting him doesn't save a great amount of money. Why cut him?

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

Ok, but that wasn't part of the debate. I don't think anyone thinks we couldn't be better at Safety. The question is, is it worth it to cut Davis? While he may not be the best option the answer is resounding NO. 

If they would play M.Allen, perhaps he would show enough positive traits they could consider cutting Davis, but right now they don't have any reserves.  Don't cut a player, trade them , thats how I would approach this.

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

they spent all the $ on offence and the secondary is only salvaged by the browns gift at CB. Imagine if we didn't have Haden, just think of where we would be at in rankings on D.

How much will Landon Collins cost

2 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

If they would play M.Allen, perhaps he would show enough positive traits they could consider cutting Davis, but right now they don't have any reserves.  Don't cut a player, trade them , thats how I would approach this.

If you don't like the way Davis plays FS you would throw things at the TV if Allen was back there. That isn't the answer. 

3 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

they spent all the $ on offence and the secondary is only salvaged by the browns gift at CB. Imagine if we didn't have Haden, just think of where we would be at in rankings on D.

How much will Landon Collins cost

Idk, id love to see what Collins could do in our D. I dont mind Davis as a backup, but he isnt a starter. 

Just now, wwhickok said:

Idk, id love to see what Collins could do in our D. I dont mind Davis as a backup, but he isnt a starter. 

what about Jenkins, if he hasn't been worth the deal he got to the giants, maybe we trade artie and gilbert to the Giants?

On 12/5/2018 at 8:06 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

This is why I laughed when people were suggesting we give him an extension.

No one should trust him at this point.   He is a JAG at best.   Not saying we should cut him, but the Steelers should absolutely looking to upgrade if they get the chance.

Then again, the Steelers havent drafted a remotely decent safety in over a decade, and I dont think Davis or Edmunds will buck that trend.  ¬¬

Meanwhile, Justin Reid has been a beast for Houston 

7 hours ago, Chieferific said:

James Washington was the pick no matter what. If they took Reid in the 2nd you best believe Washington would have been the pick in Rd 1. 

I don't follow what you are saying, but maybe I still have cobwebs from trying to understand our draft .  It might be a good draft in a few years if Rudolph is the starter (or quality reserve and Dobbs gets hurt)  but right now :/

11 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

I don't follow what you are saying, but maybe I still have cobwebs from trying to understand our draft .  It might be a good draft in a few years if Rudolph is the starter (or quality reserve and Dobbs gets hurt)  but right now :/

An exaggeration based on how much I think they wanted/targeted JW. 

Maybe this deserves its own thread but:

Unless we transition tag Bell with the intent to match and trade (I think there’s a wink wink agreement to do so between all parties), I say screw it on trying to get a compensatory pick. We need too much help to do so. My list so far of 2019 needs:

OLB, ILB, CB, FS (Edmunds is taking over as SS), 3rd Down Back, IOL, TE2 (?). Not to mention your typical depth answer as well. 

Archived