GDT Steelers vs Chargers SNF 12/2/18

Steeler Hitman

20 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Davis has really been slipping since Jacksonville. He really needs to turn it around. The last two weeks have seemed like he forgot how to play football. God awful angles and pursuit to the football. 

So has our entire defense. Tough to chalk that all on Davis. 

3 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

So has our entire defense. Tough to chalk that all on Davis. 

Sure, but a lot of what he is doing wrong is squarely on him. His angles coming down hill have been grade school level bad. Philip Lindsey and Jackson in back to back weeks walk right past him without a move because he is so off. 

4 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Sure, but a lot of what he is doing wrong is squarely on him. His angles coming down hill have been grade school level bad. Philip Lindsey and Jackson in back to back weeks walk right past him without a move because he is so off. 

His angle and attempt to tackle on the Jackson TD had me thinking of pulling him and let someone else try, it was that bad. Never mind the  pass defenced on Haden and how Haden was lucky to finish the game.  Disappointed in Davis as of now, as well as Burnett, Burns, and coty. Sutton was decent when he was allowed to play and Haden has been legit. Edmunds has been decent at times but the rest is in need for an overhaul, just as we said last year :/

8 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Davis has really been slipping since Jacksonville. He really needs to turn it around. The last two weeks have seemed like he forgot how to play football. God awful angles and pursuit to the football. 

This is why I laughed when people were suggesting we give him an extension.

No one should trust him at this point.   He is a JAG at best.   Not saying we should cut him, but the Steelers should absolutely looking to upgrade if they get the chance.

Then again, the Steelers havent drafted a remotely decent safety in over a decade, and I dont think Davis or Edmunds will buck that trend.  ¬¬

Davis should be cut as a way to force the need to improve the position, same with Burns, but that wont happen because theyre not going to force themselves to do something they dont typically do.

Its also why i feel Chickillo and Matakevich, Burnett, Hunter and DHB should all be released.

I feel we should release Gilbert as well, due to contract vs. Availability and the fact I havent seen much of a drop off if any with Feiler.

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Davis should be cut as a way to force the need to improve the position, same with Burns, but that wont happen because theyre not going to force themselves to do something they dont typically do.

They're not going to do this because it's an extremely stupid way of doing things.

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

They're not going to do this because it's an extremely stupid way of doing things.

Except that it isn't. I like, many people, I'm growing tired watching our defense be mediocre because Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin refuse to make Personnel changes. Sean Davis might not be the only problem on our defense but just like 43 said he is nothing more than a JAG. I see people saying give Artie Burns another chance but my question is why? He has shown no signs of improvement his rookie year was actually good but it's been completely downhill since. Tyler and Anthony are nothing more than a JAG as well.  Morgan Burnett has been injured pretty much all season he was in absolute wasted signing his issue with Green Bay with Morgan Burnett has been injured pretty much all season he was in absolute wasted signing his issue with Green Bay with his inability to stay healthy and as good as he could have been had he stayed healthy it has pretty much been proven that that is never going to happen so there's no reason to keep him around and hope that it changes. I don't hate Terrell Edmunds by any means but I do hate the pick because yes he is a rookie but he has also been relatively underwhelming this season despite an occasional good play. It's very early in his career and it'll be a while before we know for sure but while I do feel like he can be a contributor I don't feel like he will ever be a premier starter. Now of course maybe that Outlook changes if our defense improved greatly. Jon Bostic has been our best inside linebacker and that is not a compliment. I'm not saying that John Bostic has been terrible but I don't necessarily think any of us expected him to be the answer to our defensive problem either. TJ watt has by far been our best outside linebacker of course we lack outside linebackers in general and Bud Dupree has actually been decent this year I still am not okay with paying him 9 million dollars next year but this is probably been his best season by far.

On defense it is obvious to me that we need a defensive end. You can say what you want about cam Heyward and Stephon Tuitt but when those two guys are not healthy and on the field at the same time our defense struggles because our depth is terrible and yes I've heard the argument that not every team in the league has some sort of All-Star second string team I get that but that doesn't change the fact that there is an ability throughout the league to improve the depth of your team and we are one of the teams that need to do exactly that. We need a corner and inside linebacker outside linebacker depth and a pair of safeties. You can call it stupid to cut Sean Davis and Artie Burns and Anthony chickillo and Tyler matakevich but the fact is those are four players that really have no point in being on the roster. If it weren't for the fact that he was just resigned I'd be on the cut Vince Williams train too.

I'm definitely on the cut Coty Sensabaugh Justin Hunter and Darrius Heyward-Bey train. Kodi be sensible has been okay in limited play but there is no denying that he is a liability he is just not that good. I also got that what I'm talking about he's a big amount of changes but the fact of the matter is this defensive roster needs big amount of changes

6 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Its also why i feel Chickillo and Matakevich, Burnett, Hunter and DHB should all be released.

I feel we should release Gilbert as well, due to contract vs. Availability and the fact I havent seen much of a drop off if any with Feiler.

Not so fast, you Trade players that you can (Gilbert) but other than that, agree it's time to move on. I don't mind Chickillo, but many other players are not going to help. If Artie could block kicks all the time, then he could stay as a ST at reduced pay.  The rest you mentioned, agree, their time is up.

6 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I think cutting Davis is stupid. I think extending him is stupid (depending on the $) and not bringing in some sort of competition whether it be through the Draft or FA next year is stupid.  It would be smart to keep him, bring in some competition and extend him cheaply if possible. 

8 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I see people saying give Artie Burns another chance but my question is why? He has shown no signs of improvement his rookie year was actually good but it's been completely downhill since.

His confidence is shot, he has regressed and is an overpaid ST player right now. A liability when he plays CB.

10 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Morgan Burnett has been injured pretty much all season he was in absolute wasted signing

Roll used to say they can't make the club from the tub, now we see an example in 2018, yet this was their economical hopeful upgrade at safety.

11 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I don't hate Terrell Edmunds by any means but I do hate the pick because yes he is a rookie but he has also been relatively underwhelming this season despite an occasional good play.

agree, but if I had to do it over, I would have traded Burns,  Gilbert and picks to trade up for Derwin James. I can't believe what safety he is. 

13 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I'm not saying that John Bostic has been terrible but I don't necessarily think any of us expected him to be the answer to our defensive problem either. TJ watt has by far been our best outside linebacker of course we lack outside linebackers in general and Bud Dupree has actually been decent this year I still am not okay with paying him 9 million dollars next year but this is probably been his best season by far.

Bostic is more for a conventional LB (and a good one at that ) , but in passing downs in pass happy nfl2018, he is out of place just as is Williams. Convert a safety or get really fast LB's, that's it. The Williams signing is only for those that want to pay a blitzing ILB that can't cover or tackle in space well at all. Dupree has improved a bit, but that's it for him. He needs a change of scheme to improve more but his effort and conditioning is there. I never see him give up (like he did vs chicago last year)  and he usually goes until the whistle. If he had Greene as a coach, then it could help because I now see the coaching and scheme the issue with him.  If they are going to keep Dupree on the 5th year option, then go to a 9 wide and let Hargrave tear apart the interior.  Tuitt needs to stay healthy, but is a force when he is but for me Heyward would share snaps with Tuitt and Hargrave would dominate all game .

7 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

It's dumb to make more holes in your roster. If Davis is cut, we add a new glaring need instead of a marginal need. 

While I understand where Chief is coming from I do not for one second believe that safety is only a marginal need. I don't know if some of you need a magnifying glass or bifocals when watching the games but if you cannot see how bad of a starter Sean Davis actually is I'm sorry but maybe you need to reevaluate your ability to diagnose football games. Safety is a significant need regardless of what happens with Sean Davis. So is cornerback and linebacker

In most years I would have agreed that you don't make more holes in your roster and force yourself to have additional needs however this year I don't agree because quite frankly the level of our defense is playing right now is the same level as been playing at for the last 3 to 4 years minimum and frankly in some of the positions it simply needs an overhaul even if that means one poor season to rectify our defensive problems frankly I'm okay with that sacrifice because the defensive performances we are getting right now or simply inexcusable. Having said that I want to bring up something 43 said earlier because I completely agree with it the performance is we're getting from the offense or also inexcusable be late game interceptions and more importantly the multi interception games that Ben Roethlisberger has had and the drops on what should be relatively easy catches by wide receivers is simply inexcusable. And don't get me started on the lack of acceptable performance by the special teams

Davis will make a $1 Million next year. Any replacement that is as good (or as bad if you wanna look at it that way) won't be any cheaper. At least Davis knows the system. So, you bring in some competition in an effort to improve but you do not cut him. It saves you nothing.

Archived