GDT Steelers vs Chargers SNF 12/2/18

Steeler Hitman

How many times do you see a player raise his arms up like that knowing that he committed a block in the back penalty like that? It's the most blatant sign of admitting to committing a penalty like that. Even he knew what he did and tried to play the "I didn't do it" act. The sad thing is that the refs astonishingly bought it.

I hate putting the onus on the refs for a loss but they had such a big impact on this game. It's ridiculous. Plus it's just not this game either. I was watching the Bills/Dolphins game and that was a joke as well. So many other games too. Look at the debacle in the Cowboys/Saints game where numerous penalties weren't called or they butchered the spot of the ball. I know it's a fast sport and it's not easy being a ref but those two plays were right in front of the damn refs. That is why they are lined up where they are to watch exactly for those type of plays yet they miss it? It wasn't like a ticky tacky pass interference call where it could be questioned.

Also I can't wait until Butler is gone. He had no answer to the only threat on the Chargers tonight. Oh well he kept trying to put a LB on him. Yeah, that worked out well. So glad he adjusted his defensive scheme. Oh wait, no he didn't. He is brutal.

Then the one time where the defense was actually going to get a turnover Davis decides to finally break up a pass. Unfortunately it was against his own player. Davis has been better this year but still doesn't provide any big plays in the secondary.

Really brutal loss and I really thought that the division was locked up but now it's going to be a fight to get it.

lets recap a little

yes, there was a really bad interception by ben

yes, all through the second half our defense folded faster than a poker player with high card nine

yes, we couldn’t get the ball upfield as easily in the second half (though credit the chargers D for that they really tightened up)

yes, we gave away a bad special teams touchdown

however

-juju had the first down on that challenge, like objectively, not that it mattered tbf

-there was the huge false start missed on the long touchdown

-there was a big block in brian allen’s back on the punt return touchdown

-if haden was offsides, then i’m taking out the nomination for democrat candidate 2020 - and i’m an australian citizen

-we copped an incredibly unfortunate one when our cb’s decided to merc each other in the endzone, and out of all the places the ball went, it went to allen’s breadbasket

-i reiterate again how incredibly not-offsides haden was, and that’s the one i’m maddest about because it was the crucial back of game one

incidentally however the one good thing was our offense outscored theirs, and did it on a much stronger defense - and yes it does suck balls that we blew a sixteen point HT lead, but it wasn’t all the boys, the zebras had an enormous hand, and on to oakland where we get our season on track again with a big W

5 hours ago, Steelers22 said:
5 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

No doubt the refs sucked horribly tonight.  But they didn't give up a TD on the false start play.  They didn't slam into each other instead of making an INT and allow a TD.  They didn't get gashed for long drives and throw lazy interceptions.  The Steelers needed to play better in the second half and they simply did not.  

Generally, I agree with this sentiment.  There are missed calls all the time and each team can usually point to them.  But as long as I've been a steeler fan, I've never seen calls THAT bad go against them quite like that.  The talent level between NFL teams is minimal.  You can't expect to win a game when the officiating crew misses obvious calls, which cost you 14-17 points.  

With that being said, few teams know how to shoot themselves in the foot like the steelers do.  ALSO WHY IS A LINEBACKER COVERING KEENAN ALLEN ALL NIGHT?

@JLambert58  I usually say the plays we make or miss will make the difference but with closely matched teams such missed calls can affect play calling and the game. We weren't playing the 08 Lions or the browns of a last year.  The team should learn fro this that they should never let up and keep scoring as if there is no score. That is the only way to prevent another team from getting back into the game. Refs can't give the game away on their own, they need help and that comes from the teams.  If we stayed aggressive, we win IMO.

@Steelers22 This is when Matthew Thomas could have had a chance or how about B.Allen? A player with some speed and range could cover Allen better than a traditional LB . We let Thomas go and B.Allen was being blocked illegally on ST and never played on D:$ If a team has 3 legit WR's as the Chargers do, then a new scheme needs to be made for this. Playing a base D won't work unless the pressure is so severe the QB can't make the throw. 

4 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

I stand by my previous statements in the past that once Roethlisberger retires, I'm completely done with the NFL. I just do not like this game anymore. I can't remember too many off-sides controversies as a fan who has been watching for decades now. But somehow we ended up with multiple tonight. I don't feel like I'm watching a sport and 7-on-7 football with the occasional hit on the QB isn't entertaining, either. I almost can't wait.

I am with you on this. Harrison was a player that at one time best represented the game the way it was to be played at one time. There was a time when most of the players were hitting and it all made it better for the viewer but the flag football of today just doesn't interest me as much.  The league  is a mockery in many ways, and being a bit older, the game has passed by me as it has gone into a different place that doesn't interest me as much.  I rarely actually get into the games where I'm on the edge of my seat with suspense, then yell etc. 

They have all these camera's out there, but for the offside on the FG, I didn't see an angle that went across the LOS. We don't even get to see that, and it decided the game some would say. Maybe burns did make a clean block, he put great effort into that but might have been robbed.  Myself, I can't stand the direction the game is going in, it's unfair for defenders and the physicality and hitting is almost gone.  I understand and respect the idea of player safety,  but I could see a few major changes there and I don't even play or coach.  

I don't know how the ratings go up unless it is appealing to a crowd that never watched before. Fringe viewers that could take it or leave it might like the passing / catching more and maybe the silly celebrations might add a few more viewers. I couldn't believe it when I read that the ratings have gone up.  Watch some of our Ravens games from 10 years ago and then watch this and lmk what you see different. 

One more point, is that I find it telling that these broadcasts have to have an official on their team to explain these rules to us. I think Gene Seratore was the one last night, and listening him fumble and bungle the rules is laughable.  

4 hours ago, Livewire said:

How many times do you see a player raise his arms up like that knowing that he committed a block in the back penalty like that? It's the most blatant sign of admitting to committing a penalty like that. Even he knew what he did and tried to play the "I didn't do it" act. The sad thing is that the refs astonishingly bought it.

I hate putting the onus on the refs for a loss but they had such a big impact on this game. It's ridiculous. Plus it's just not this game either. I was watching the Bills/Dolphins game and that was a joke as well. So many other games too. Look at the debacle in the Cowboys/Saints game where numerous penalties weren't called or they butchered the spot of the ball. I know it's a fast sport and it's not easy being a ref but those two plays were right in front of the damn refs. That is why they are lined up where they are to watch exactly for those type of plays yet they miss it? It wasn't like a ticky tacky pass interference call where it could be questioned.

Also I can't wait until Butler is gone. He had no answer to the only threat on the Chargers tonight. Oh well he kept trying to put a LB on him. Yeah, that worked out well. So glad he adjusted his defensive scheme. Oh wait, no he didn't. He is brutal.

Then the one time where the defense was actually going to get a turnover Davis decides to finally break up a pass. Unfortunately it was against his own player. Davis has been better this year but still doesn't provide any big plays in the secondary.

Really brutal loss and I really thought that the division was locked up but now it's going to be a fight to get it.

yeah, raised arms sums it up. Who ever coached that one must be laughing somewhere because it's contradicting and draws attention to the foul at play .

Agree about Butler IF he is the fault. If Tomlin is telling him to do that, then share the blame and devise a new scheme.  Have 3 legit CB's  because that is easier  to obtain than 3 fast LB's as in Shazier fast. I don't think a LB or most safeties can cover Allen, because he is an elite WR!  As for the Williams brothers, I imagine Stephen A Smith would concur that they need quality defenders as well. The Chargers really have weapons on offence and this could be their year, meanwhile we should have ran them out of the building. 

Davis might be NKM reincarnated . I gave him the benefit of the doubt in the past, but am overall disappointed for a few reasons. Basics such as tackling, he isn't a good tackler .

As for having the division locked up, I have in recent years stopped that mainly due to parody and injuries that can happen. Our division has been bad though, so maybe that's why you thought that and I can see why. The ravens are closing in and we might be a 6 seed if we lose 2 more. The NFL did fix the scheduling and make the end of the season much better than a long time ago

As I wake up, that was absolutely brutal.  And I'm waking up to NFLNetwork, FS1, ESPN all talking about the Steelers collapse and no one talking about the blown calls.  And every time there's a caller on NFLRadio wanting to talk about it, the guys cut them off saying "You are the Steelers, you should be able to overcome 2 blown calls".

7 hours ago, 3rivers said:

why not spend a night at the crowbar in, it's for the good of the game IMO. False starts should be reviewable/challenged  but thats next years rule change. For now, just yell at him until arrested

Presnap penalties, holding penalties, block in the backs on returns, and personal fouls or the lack there of, should all be reviewable.

NFL actually doctored their IG story video to skip the Block in the Back.  Between that and editing the video of the first TD to not show the jumping offsides the NFL is showing what a joke they are.  Add in the video problems with Kareem Hunt this week and you think they would know better.

25 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Presnap penalties, holding penalties, block in the backs on returns, and personal fouls or the lack there of, should all be reviewable.

they could go for more commercial breaks as well, it's what the nfl wants anyways. 

22 minutes ago, warfelg said:

NFL actually doctored their IG story video to skip the Block in the Back.  Between that and editing the video of the first TD to not show the jumping offsides the NFL is showing what a joke they are.  Add in the video problems with Kareem Hunt this week and you think they would know better.

good post that shows the corruption here.They are actually admitting guilt here buy doctoring the clip.

42 minutes ago, warfelg said:

As I wake up, that was absolutely brutal.  And I'm waking up to NFLNetwork, FS1, ESPN all talking about the Steelers collapse and no one talking about the blown calls.  And every time there's a caller on NFLRadio wanting to talk about it, the guys cut them off saying "You are the Steelers, you should be able to overcome 2 blown calls".

@warfelg that's a good post you have. I never saw that trick the LS had. The tv crew missed it, but they are more for promoting the game the nfl wants than to call it the way it is. Burns is good at this ST play, maybe that could be his specialty until the league changes the rule for that.

42 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I will tune in to Stephen A smith later, and if he doesn't mention this, then we can all say the nfl has a noose on all the media as well.

3 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

warfelg that's a good post you have. I never saw that trick the LS had. The tv crew missed it, but they are more for promoting the game the nfl wants than to call it the way it is. Burns is good at this ST play, maybe that could be his specialty until the league changes the rule for that.

Actually - on the first offsides Chris Collinsworth actually said "They jumped like there was a simulated snap, they're all watching the ball."

Just now, warfelg said:

Actually - on the first offsides Chris Collinsworth actually said "They jumped like there was a simulated snap, they're all watching the ball."

maybe collinsworth wants his walking papers, he better not say anything against the nfl.  I liked our effort on the play,  and even if we did block it, we might have lost in OT. This should have been a blow out but refs and then our OC play calling as well as DC ruined it.  It all lets us know what this team CAN do, but ultimately won't do (or be allowed to do) . As someone mentioned, maybe they want the chargers to win it al this year to help them as they relocate into their new stadium. Chargers vs Rams?

Just now, 3rivers said:

maybe collinsworth wants his walking papers, he better not say anything against the nfl.  I liked our effort on the play,  and even if we did block it, we might have lost in OT. This should have been a blow out but refs and then our OC play calling as well as DC ruined it.  It all lets us know what this team CAN do, but ultimately won't do (or be allowed to do) . As someone mentioned, maybe they want the chargers to win it al this year to help them as they relocate into their new stadium. Chargers vs Rams?

Don't take things away from the Chargers like that.  They are a good team in their own right.

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Don't take things away from the Chargers like that.  They are a good team in their own right.

I am not kidding, they are solid and somehow under the radar. Look  at the weapons they have and Rivers is playing as good as any QB. They can beat anyone IMO. We owned them for a half, then resorted to bad OC play calling and then the rest you know :$

We are at our best running connor in the RD or for sure near the GL.  But to cover (or try to cover) K.Allen the way we did is a reason to lose anyways. 

When we play sub packages, Hargrave should never leave the field.  That is obvious now, but for some reason they aren't letting him stay out there. He would be deadly in a  9 wide scheme. Dupree would be better off that way to, and I would like to see them try a bit of that as an experiment.

That loss sucked last night. The Steelers can't afford to overlook Oakland (who competed against KC). I want them to beat NE so bad, but if they lay another egg in Oakland, that may not happen. And, if it doesn't, it's time for Tomlin to go barring a miracle playoff run.

Archived