Mariners Agree to Acquire Prospects from Mets for Diaz/Cano/Some of the Money

ramssuperbowl99

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This deal has circled back to just being weird. It started lose-lose, then went to full lolMets, then went to full lolM's, and now is back to just both teams doing something that doesn't make sense. The M's should just be willing to eat Cano's deal and get full prospect value for Diaz. The Mets have no direction in any sense of the word.

I just don't get it. Baseball trades are usually decisively not weird, but this is really weird.

Is this not fairly close to full prospect value for Diaz in your mind? Kelenic + Dunn seems fair to me if you just go off general consensus of their value.  

The question to me is whether giving Cano away to escape half his deal is worth it. If we're not competing in the next 2-3 years I can at least see the logic behind it. 

Just now, Eagles27 said:

Is this not fairly close to full prospect value for Diaz in your mind? Kelenic + Dunn seems fair to me if you just go off general consensus of their value.  

The question to me is whether giving Cano away to escape half his deal is worth it. If we're not competing in the next 2-3 years I can at least see the logic behind it. 

Maybe if you think Kelenic is a top 25 guy 8 months from now. But top relievers have brought back guys like Clint Frazier or Gleyber Torres, who I would say are clearly superior headliners. And in the rebuild or superteam era, the price for the best reliever in baseball only seems to be increasing. 

At least the M's seem to have some type of direction. Like you're hinting at, it's a 2-3 year re-tool rather than a slash, burn, salt the fields rebuild. This gets them there in some sense, but they could have done something pretty similar by just eating money on Cano's deal as a separate transaction. If they re-tool right, is paying $10M/year or so to Cano in 3 years really a big deal if they have pre-arb guys who produce? (Speaking as a Brewers fan paying down Ryan Braun's deal, the answer to this question is no.)

I simply have no ******* idea what the Mets are doing.

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:

Well mets things now they want kluber and to trade away thor. 

Honestly,  if I'm the Mets and someone coughs up the prospects/players, I trade Syndergaard. Hes going to have health issues his whole career. 

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

@Thelonebillsfan, your GM faked his way into a job he's in no way qualified for.

Yeah I've known that for a while. He took a huge pay cut to come be a GM and the day to day stuff has been running through a litany of other people (a lot of Omar) while he "learns' on the job.

We ****ed it up real bad, just gotta hope the damage he causes is minimal.

24 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Yeah I've known that for a while. He took a huge pay cut to come be a GM and the day to day stuff has been running through a litany of other people (a lot of Omar) while he "learns' on the job.

We ****ed it up real bad, just gotta hope the damage he causes is minimal.

Every smart kid in your FO is gonna leave in 6 months.

Archived