SNF Thread Los Angeles Chargers @ Pittsburgh Steelers

Chargers

25 minutes ago, game3525 said:

I don't think it has been all that strange. 

His year has been a good example of why you can't just look at stats when it comes to receivers (Odell is another example of this btw). I have AB on my fantasy team, so I have watched a ton of Steelers games because of that this year. He has for the most part been getting open and looks like the same guy, Ben just wasn't hit him much early on.  

Think he is talking about the speeding and the tossing stuff off a hotel balcony. Plus, he has said some weird stuff this year as well.

Dude is strange for sure.

4 minutes ago, Dome said:

Didn’t the NFL announce before the 2017 season that they were paying refs full time now?

Paying refs full time or working refs full time? These guys should be absolutely banned for having a second job, and should spend all offseason reviewing tape of all of the previous season's games to determine how to do their jobs better, as well as reffing practices and stuff wherever/however possible.

Just now, Dome said:

That seems extreme. I agree with the idea, just not to that extent 

Why? Every other American with a full time job works all year round and most don't have a second job. Why shouldn't the NFL force these idiots to actually work their jobs year round? They are certainly far overpaid for their abilities.

Just now, TXsteeler said:

Why? Every other American with a full time job works all year round and most don't have a second job.

But most of them aren’t banned from having a second job. It’s a bit extreme to tell someone “this is your job and you can’t do anything else” 

1 minute ago, TXsteeler said:

Why? Every other American with a full time job works all year round and most don't have a second job. Why shouldn't the NFL force these idiots to actually work their jobs year round? They are certainly far overpaid for their abilities.

Making them put in more time training and watching tape to fix mistakes is one thing, telling them that’s all they’re allowed to do in the off-season is quite different .

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Guys - there’s basically 1 full time paid official per crew most weeks.  We are still a LONG ways away from full time officials.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000839763/article/nfl-hires-21-fulltime-game-officials-for-2017-season

And the reason is they don't want it because their regular full time jobs are much more lucrative.

4 minutes ago, Dome said:

But most of them aren’t banned from having a second job. It’s a bit extreme to tell someone “this is your job and you can’t do anything else” 

Plenty of jobs will fire you if they feel your work is suffering because of a second job you have. In fact, most will. The refs can do whatever they want on the side but they should be first and foremost NFL refs, not lawyers and other dumb stuff who Ref NFL games part time.

5 minutes ago, Dome said:

Making them put in more time training and watching tape to fix mistakes is one thing, telling them that’s all they’re allowed to do in the off-season is quite different .

Obviously they are free Americans and can do whatever they want when they aren't clocked in, but they should be expected to show up to work 40-50 hours a week. Most of them will get their holidays during the playoffs, the rest can be rewarded with holidays during the summer.

Just now, warfelg said:

And the reason is they don't want it because their regular full time jobs are much more lucrative.

Fire them and replace them then. Take a couple years to train the new people if they need to, the job is NOT especially hard. There are 10's of thousands of people who could easily do it.

32 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Lol we got there at the same time.  I love using it as a source to people who say teams always get that call or never get it.

Yep, and there are certain teams who are a lightning rod for those kinds of conspiratorial accusations - top of mind being Steelers, Cowboys and Patriots.

Just now, Broncofan said:

But the gig is such a magnet for groupies, right?   I mean, right up there with off hours club DJ, right? 

When you get to show off your guns absolutely. Haha.  But that was the reasoning the ref union gave to not putting them all full time.

Just now, TXsteeler said:

Plenty of jobs will fire you if they feel your work is suffering because of a second job you have. In fact, most will. The refs can do whatever they want on the side but they should be first and foremost NFL refs, not lawyers and other dumb stuff who Ref NFL games part time.

But that wasn’t the discussion. You said they should be banned from having other jobs. Firing someone because they’re not performing well is a totally different argument than that and not one I’d disagree with.

Obviously they are free Americans and can do whatever they want when they aren't clocked in, but they should be expected to show up to work 40-50 hours a week. Most of them will get their holidays during the playoffs, the rest can be rewarded with holidays during the summer.

So should the be allowed to do what they want when they’re off the clock? Or should they be banned from having a second job? You can’t have both 

Fire them and replace them then. Take a couple years to train the new people if they need to, the job is NOT especially hard. There are 10's of thousands of people who could easily do it.

Replacement refs and the Fail Mary ring a bell?  It's much harder to ref than you think.

Archived