16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

11 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I changed the link in my post .. more comprehensive write-up from Rapoport himself. 

I had to laugh when some radio sports talk guys crunched out possible GB HC candidates that had the right credentials and were available. They deduced that Mike McCarthy would be the perfect candidate for us if we hadn’t just fired him. 

22 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

I had to laugh when some radio sports talk guys crunched out possible GB HC candidates that had the right credentials and were available. They deduced that Mike McCarthy would be the perfect candidate for us if we hadn’t just fired him. 

It is a frustrating year for finding a new coach .. Our former coach is probably the best of the bunch.  It was just time to move on though .. It was a sinking ship and the team had tuned him out.  Some think that John Harbaugh could still be had .. Some think Mike Tomlin could be available soon.  Both of those guys are in McCarth's class.

Can be interviewed right now: Caldwell, Pagano, Kubaik, DeFilippo, Riley, Pettine, Ryan, Philbin

Likely to be available for interview next week: Fitzgerald,  Peterson, Shaw,  Herman, Campbell, Manuel, Woods, Leonard, Monken, Morris, Gase, Bowles, Rizzi

Can't interview until playoffs end: Toub, McDaniels, Fangio, Richard, Bieniemy, Stefanski, Witsenhunt, Glenn, Siranni, Allen. Carmichael, LaFleur, Lombardi, Schwartz,

Next week is going to be important as College coaches will become available for interview. There's very few NFL candidates who team is out of the playoff picture or is likely to be fired on Black Monday.

The big names such as Toub, McDaniels and Fangio will not be available for at least another week. There are some on the list that could suddenly become available next week if their team fail to make the wild card slot such as Stefanski, Schwartz, Siranni and LaFleur.

I can't wait to see which college head coach we have successfully managed to bring in for an interview. My gut feeling is that Fitzgerald will be one of them as there's no smoke without fire. I think Shaw will the other interview candidate as he should be nearing the end of his contract extension he signed with Stanford in 2012.

9 hours ago, blueswedeshoes said:

If Mac and Rodgers had no history, I actually agree that Mac would be the right coach for GB to hire.  What Mac did with Favre is exactly what Rodgers needs at this point in his career.

13 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I truly hope they don't have Jim Harbaugh as a target after watching the Wolverines get blasted again in a big game.

This.

Personally, with or without Michigan's latest crushing loss, I’d be quite surprised if Green Bay has/had any interest in Harbaugh.

37 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

What does Fitzgerald bring to the table?  I know very little about him beyond that he has some history with Murphy.

I assume you know the general traits already—he has a strong relationship with Mark Murphy, he has an impeccable character, he shows great leadership, and he has an uncanny ability to compete on the field with access to fewer blue chip players than the other teams in the conference. Beyond that, I suspect, but I do not know for a fact, that he is able to game plan to capitalize on opponents weaknesses and then communicate and teach a game plan to his players.

Personally I think he stays where he is despite a full court press by Murphy. 

1 hour ago, gopackgo27 said:

Fitzgerald as HC, Caldwell as OC, Pettine as DC, see if Fitz can steal his former QB Kafka as QBs coach/pass game coordinator. Profit.

I dig it!  I really like Fitzgerald .. he's a class act, and a great teacher.  He would oversee all facets instead of having his nose in the play sheet week after week.  Fitzgerald is a program builder.  I really think the Packers want a coaching CEO instead of a offensive innovator.  Fitzgerald would be more of a tone setter, teacher, and motivator type.  An OC like Caldwell would allow Rodgers to take the next step into Peyton Manning territory when it comes to running an offense. 

Archived